Guys, how much do YOU actually know about make up?

And do you feel you really know what you are talking about when you say something like 'It looks natural?'

Yesterday i asked a question about this to girls and most expressed that guys just don't know that much about makeup and they don't believe them when they say that kind of stuff

Here's the link to that question:
http://www.girlsaskguys.com/other/q2085881-girls-do-you-believe-most-men-when-they-tell-you-what-they-like

Most Helpful Guy

• Little bit...

Lets see, there is:
    -foundation (base layer for other products),
    -concealer (heavier, used to cover up scars & blemishes etc..)
    -blush (adds rosiness to checks), lipstick (colors lips) , eye shadow (adds color around eyes and gives "smokey eye look")
    -mascara (makes lashes look thicker).

I prefer makeup in moderation. So ideally her skin looks pretty clear without makeup and she uses blush, lipstick, and eye shadow in moderation to add emphasis to her lips, cheeks and eyes.

What tends to look fake is when they use too much of the previously mentioned products or if their skin sucks and they go heavy on the concealer and foundation to overcompensate.

So when I say I like a natural look I mean when a girls skin looks good enough that she doesn't need to wear tons of foundation or concealer but she uses blush, lipstick, and eyeshadow in moderation to add a bit more vibrance to her face and enhance key areas.

Can you tell when a woman is wearing vs not wearing it even if it is very well applied?

well would you say thats the point of makeup yourself?

I think its for both.

What Girls Said 11

• Not much at all. I can only use lipstick :P However, I can tell if someone else is wearing it usually.

Would you say that the point of makeup is it's an enhancer. It amplifies the attractiveness of features not to coverup?

Ehh, not really. Lots of make up is used to cover up like concealer and foundation which hide red blotches and skin blemishes and provide a smooth, even colour to work upon. People with skin abnormalities also often use make up to cover them up, not to enhance them. Most make up is probably to enhance because I think things like mascara aren't hiding anything but not all of it will be used just to enhance.

• I know what youtube tutorials and makeup specialists taught me. I'm not going to claim to be an expert in application or knowing what it's made of or what works best but I know what to do with it and can tell when other girls don't.

• Quite a bit.

• I stand by that opinion. Every guy I've ever dated has had no idea what any of my makeup products or brushes were for.

• Not much, just the basics.

If it's only a little bit, then that tends to amplify it.

• nothin cuz I don't wear any

• I don't really know much but from close up I can tell when a girl has makeup on.

So you disagree with that?

yup :)

• I know too much about makeup to not wear it

• A lot

Yeah definitely. Some girls use a bit much but I go more towards the natural look except for my lipstick. Most of the girls I know either dont wear it or wear it subtly

• Pretty much everything

For sure! It's rare to see a girl look like a completely different person after she beats her face, and even if she does it's not dramatic. Unless it's like a special effects type of deal.

• A LOT!

What Guys Said 18

• The basics I guess. I know about foundation, mascara, eye liner, lipstick, and maybe one or two things more.
    In person I know how to judge makeup. In pictures it's different cause of lighting, airbrushing, and other effects they may apply.

Do you believe it when girls say that "the point of makeup is it's an enhancer. It amplifies the attractiveness of features not to coverup"?

Ehh depends on the girl. There's girls that if you take their makeup they're fucking ugly. With makeup they're average.
      Beautiful girls use it as an enhancer, that's why they tend to use little makeup. Ugly/average girls use it as a cover up, that's why they use more.

• I know enough to know that I don't know much. lol

I do have my own idea of what 'natural looking' makeup looks like, yeah. I'd say that chapstick and some very lightly applies eyeliner looks natural and good.

• The less I see it, the better.

It gives girls that fake look.

• I know cosmetics use a lot of chemicals that are absorbed that shouldn't even be in the human body. I also know women would save hundreds, if not thousands of dollars monthly if they stopped using it.

That's not really a cohesive argument in my opinion. Sounds to me like women who say that are trying to sound "politically correct" in a sense.

• I can usually tell if they have a little or a lot on. I mostly know the basics though.

Omg 🙈 I remember when I showed you that. I was desperate to take it off that's for sure

I'm not sure tbh, but whether enhancing or covering up kind of sounds like a rationalization to me. If you did a survey, I bet almost all girls would say their makeup enhances their looks. It does create an illusion though and always attempts to make the person more attractive. I think it can look more attractive sometimes and less attractive others. Sometimes the natural look is the most attractive too depending on the mood. Maybe even variety can be nice.

• A lot I used to be a make up artist come at me brah

Where are your eyebrows then?

@Prettyapathetic I don't add them :)

• *starts gluing sparkly shit and small toys to his face* AM I MAKEUPING?

• I have no clue. I know you want light around the cheeks, dark around the eyes, and of course cover up all the blemishes... but otherwise I have no clue at all about anything.

• Should I?

No I cannot

Can you tell the gross products contained in the product?

• Not much at all

sometimes

• I know nothing about makeup but i can always tell when someones wearing it.

• I only know when it looks hideous on a woman.

It's for both actually from what I've seen. Not many people have clear evenly toned skin without blemishes, pimples discolorations, birthmarks, etc. so makeup is used to help balance that out as well as enhance, but it can easily be overdone.

• The basic stuff, blame my sister lol, she forced me to help her when i was a kid haha

• makes girls look good. lipstick makes them lips look yummier.

• I hardly know anything about it.

No, I think it's both. Minimal amounts of it act as an enhancer, but women sometimes use an excessive amount of makeup to cover up.

• Dude! Guys don't put makeup on their face, that's why we don't care!

• I still use terms like "that black shit around your eyes" which shows how little I know.

For most it's an enhancer. that black shit for example can really bring out a girl's eyes and makes them pop.

• Very well versed on makeup!!

But that's because my Ex girlfriend is like a make up guru!!

From lumi to urban decay!! Frequent strips to ulta, Sephora, and MAC!!!

Constant studying of Jacklyn hill YouTube videos!!!

And special effects makeup!!!

A bit of both honestly!! Though my girlfriend, used it for enhancing her features, like her eyes with eyeshadow or lashes with mascara. There were the occasional bump she'd cover with foundation.

But for the most part I think it's used to enhance the attractive features girls want more attention paid to.