Is it weird for a girl to like horror movies?

So I have an addiction to scary movies. Nothing like.. tooo too intense. I really like It Follows, The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Hush, The Babadook... stuff like that.

Anyway I was with a guy and we were on my laptop looking for a movie and he went through my recently watched and he was like "this is what you watch?" and I was like "umm I guess why?" and he just shook his head and was like "nothing". I felt like he thought it was strange/uncharacteristic.

I consider myself to be pretty girly all around. I just enjoy being scared. I watch lots of other stuff too tho. Would you consider it unattractive or unfeminine for a girl to watch what I watch?

Most Helpful Guy

• Weird? No.
    Rare? Kinda lol.
    Most "normal people" shy away from things that scare them , very few actually go out of their way to get scared. They're missing that... adrenaline rush. "Unfeminine" mayybe but who cares , fun is fun.

I like movies like The Mist , Silent Hill , Orphan , Jacob's Ladder , The Silence of the Lamb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5mT5LhbRJw

Something that scares me not because of what I know but because of what I don't know. Now that's... good horror.

Most Helpful Girl

• Im a big time horror fan. I have seen a lot of horror movies and to some people it is odd. I had a boyfriend years ago who hated horror films and thought it was weird that I was so into them. I dont think its unattractive or unfeminine. Horror is way more interesting than romance and comedy any day for me. If you are a horror fan you are automatically cool to me. Maybe some people think horror fans are messed up in the head and thats why we get weird looks? You like what you like and if thats so weird to him than find someone who is into what you are into.

I can watch a lot of genres. I really struggled to be entertained by romcoms tho. They're really generic. I like movies with a good plot and a well written and acted horror movie is just a great time to me! It's especially fun if you have someone to watch with in my opinion.

Thats how I see it. Horror usually has an interesting plot and I love seeing them with my sis or my boyfriend (both are horror fans) and we will almost analyze them like we are about to do a college presentation on horror lol. Horror is very entertaining. You have a favorite?

What Guys Said 18

• It's really attractive and cool. Cause it's rare and your enjoyable to be around with. What horror movies have you watched recently?

I just watched 13 Cameras, it was pretty good!

Have you seen rec 1 and 2?

Trailer seems simple, gotta wait to see the execution.

• No, it is normal for young females to like horror movies.
    Hollyweird markets horror movies to young females, who are the primary audience for such films.
    That is why the films usually involve pretty young females being killed in nasty ways.
    The audience identifies with the young female on the screen and get an adrenalin rush (among other things) at key points during the film.
    Information about this has been published, if you want to do some searching to see what you can find.

• I have a female friend that sometimes calls me to watch a movie and when she's choosing we always watch a horror movie... And she has already watched like every horror movie and she spoils the plot all the time... Not that I mind it but I don't know why she likes them so much...

• Nah I don't like them myself but would never be like that. Kinda rude tbh I think anyways. Like "this is what you like to watch smh"

• No it is'nt... Being scared some times releases your true characteristics , which you may feel very comfortable with and are in concert with that it is a true you. some how this characteristic has become an inabition to you and being seeing something scary realizes this as a result.

• I love horror movies. Well not specifically horror movies but actually I'm a huge movie geek so I've seen all good movies, including horror movies.

If a girl I know was obsessed with even a subgenre of the art of cinema I'd marry her in a second.

• Nothing wrong with that haha, I'm addicted to Pineapple juice lmao

• The problem most likely lies with this guy.
    Sounds like early signs of a weird control freak with strange preconceived notions. But, Who knows.

Noo he is so far the opposite of a control freak. Which is worse cuz if something bugs him I have to pry it out

Then he just doesn't like horror movies and can't understand people who do.

• No I know lots of girls that like horror, even my 3 teenage daughters do

• I understand the curiosity to watch such movies, but something is wrong with you to "really like" and be "addicted" that's very troubling? why does any one "like" extreme violence? something is wrong with you

It's not the violent ones. I don't like the violent ones as much actually. I like the thrilling/suspenseful ones. You're thinking of slashers which I don't like.

then you are okey, sometimes if the violent scenes are too gross I skip them. I agree with the suspense part, that's what made me watch wrong turn 1 and 2. and part of 3, I liked the sex scenes. lol have you watched those movies?

• No its normal.

• No that's awesome ;)

• I love watching a horror movie with a girl that's into it and well as u can see from my pictures I'm cuddly lol so they kinda cuddle up to me and rest their head on my belly it's very cute I love when a girl likes scary movies

• my type of chick!

• more than normal haha

• No its totally normal.

• just not really expected by a woman. women get scared easily, like horses

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 23

• I guess if you're girly all around, it could've just thrown him as a surprise. But if he's not into horrors and you are, it may jst be weird in general because it's not a genre you watch. Like i HATE War movies, so if I went onto my partners laptop and only saw War movies I might be like "... seriously?" because to me they're crap, not that I'm judging him.

I like horrors, well I like thrillers more than horrors, but both are cool, my SO and I only ever really get that genre when we go to the video store.
    Hush is awesome!

• No, it's not.

• soooOOOoOOOOO W3ird!!!
    U sooooo quirky and unique!!!

• No. Horror movie junkie right here. We are the most awesome ladies.

• I've always been a horror movies fan ever since I was 7 so nope, it's not weird.

I don't like sappy, girly films too much.

• No because I do and I watch gory intense horror.
    Those movies aren't even scary except for the babadook... That one fucked me up.
    I like Texas chainsaw
    Saw movies
    Jason movies
    The cabin in the woods
    You're next
    Nightmare on elm Street.
    Silent hill.

Girl I can't take Saw. My sister and brother in law tried to get me to watch it... just no.

I like the Jason movies and Cabin in the Woods tho. Always wanted to try Nightmare on Elm Street

Try it. Except nightmare on elm St might cause insomnia

• I do like the rush but I need someone there with me. If you watch a horror movie with me in the evening you'll share a bed with me that night :P

• I think it makes you a thrill seeker, I dislike horror because it's not fun unless you watch it with a friend.

• Not weird at all.

• No I am one of them!

• No, it's pretty popular nowadays even if girls doesn't like them in general. Like me I hate it I can't sleep for years after seing one

• Absolutely not. Every person has right to enjoy as he/she likes, including watching movies of choice. If your boyfriend doesn't like horror movies, so what. In my opinion ha should not have reacted in this way.

• No not at all! I love horror movies!!! 😍

• I don't think so. I'm a fan of horror, with the exception of a few sub genres.

• No they're my favorite

• Nah I love them too

• why would it be?

• No I like scary movies

• No. It's not

• No not at all

• No not at all. I also love horror movies.

• I've seen all those movies that you named and none of them were particularly scary to me. They're like softcore horror movies. It's not weird to like horror movies. Tons of people like them, including girly girls. Maybe he just didn't expect it from you.

1 private opinion(s)