Are there any people who travel a lot on here?

I leave for London and Scotland in less than a week (the 25th) my bags are packed and my passport is up to date but I can't think of anything else to do to prepare for the trip other than adjust my sleep schedule. I am nervous because this is my first time out of the country but I think my excitement is outweighing my nervousness. Any ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't spend too much time in London! it's a rip-off for tourists! It's overcrowded and noisy. There are a few nice areas, but they are usually expensive.

Scotland is lovely. West coast is better than east, although Edinburgh is a magnificent city! The Scottish lakes ( more correctly Lochs ) are amazing.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Yes, I am very excited for Scotland especially for the isle of Skye tour. Plus I booked a table at an authentic Scottish restaurant for my sisters birthday, she is super excited.

Go for a ride in a punt on the river Cam in Cambridge. Well worth it!

Thanks for MHG!

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't forget...

1) PLUG ADAPTERS:
    The UK doesn't have the same kinds of power outlets as the US. If you have to buy adapters when you get there, you'll pay through the nose. Go to a Fry's or other cheapo electronics store and snag a couple.

2) YOUR ATM CARD:
    DO NOT change cash at money changing points -- especially at airports! -- other than the absolute minimum required to get a taxi, etc.
    Beyond that, yr ATM card will work at most ATM's in foreign countries -- just call yr bank and tell them you'll be traveling, so they don't put a freeze on yr card when you try to use it at an ATM in another country. (You might not even have to do this anymore, as of last spring -- lots of banks relaxed this sort of thing last year -- but it's still good practice. Can't hurt, basically.)
    If you don't have a 4-digit PIN -- my Wells Fargo PIN is 8 digits, for example -- then, change yr PIN to something with 4 digits; lots of international ATMs won't accept PINs with any other number of digits.

3) ORIGINAL CONTAINERS & PRESCRIPTION INFO FOR ALL RX MEDICINES:
    Just in case you have to explain any of them to Customs.
    Also, do yr research -- you may not be able to take all of yr meds into every country.
    For instance, you can go to jail for trying to bring amphetamines (Adderall, Vyvanse, Dexedrine) into Japan, even if you have a prescription from yr home country. The UK is not as cray-cray as East Asian countries with this stuff -- and yr meds PROBABLY won't get checked, if you even have any scheduled meds -- but, still.
    If you *do* have CII drugs, like the ADHD meds, you may also want to bring a copy of a doctor's letter / treatment plan, along with the prescription containers themselves.

4) PHOTOCOPIES OF YR PASSPORT:
    In case you lose it and have to go to the embassy... you'll be VERY glad you made these.
    Make copies of the photo page. Color copies if possible.

__

For the future...
    5) NO-FEE CREDIT CARD:
    If you travel often enough, look into credit cards from Capital One that don't charge any percentage on international transactions.
    Most credit cards add a commission of 3-4% to any transaction in a foreign currency, so, if you travel often enough, this is worth it.

Bon voyage!

What Guys Said 9

• As @redeyemindtricks said don't forget plug adapters. Plus the debit card deal. if your card has a chip in it to stick in the Point of Sale machines it should be good to go. It won't hurt to have some cash on you for exchanging into pounds.

• I wish I would, but haven't traveled in years.

• Why are you adjusting your sleep schedule? You (at least I) only get jet lagged on the way back. Also, why did you pack so early (I'm assuming clothes, too)? Anyways, it depends how long you're staying. Also, never keep your money in the same place and keep a couple hundred in your shoes. And if you're staying a long time and going by yourself, like I did, have a burn phone. And you can, but don't carry a purse. Especially in big cities. That's how you get pickpocketted

In London they're eight hours ahead. Right now it's 2 am and 6 pm where I live. I don't know if I get jet lag. Either way I adjusted my schedule so I am not wide awake when it's 2 am in London. Plus I packed early so I don't forget anything between now and the time I leave for the flight.

You don't need to. The flights almost always happen at night, too so you'll get there in the day. I've also had worse. Italy wasn't bad, but try 12-16 hours difference (or something like that) 😂. I mean a week is a little early. I would start with a week left. Also, again, it depends on how long you're staying. Like, I had to pack to last me 4 months in Europe. If you're staying for a couple weeks, you obviously don't need to pack as much and probably not as important. Also, roll your clothes 👌

• ahhhh... be cool... don't bother with the sleep thing, excitement will over ride that

by way not sure how warm it is where you are but I was in Scotland last week and was getting cooler, around 15/16c in day

• Almost travelled all around Europe.

Which was your favorite country? I plan to do a lot of traveling when I get a good job.

Well I liked Mediterranean countries more. Italy has a very good history and its worth to see there, especially Roma was cool. France was good aswell (Paris, Monaco and Nis) I didn't like much Spain and Greece. Czech Republic (Prague) and Hungary (Budapest) were very good they both have great History, would like to travel these 2 again, one day.

And hey Turkey is also good :D Especially Istanbul and all the west coast, we have the biggest and longest beaches all around the Europe, and all of our seas have blue flag which means they are very clean and amazing :D There are a lot of people from your country for the summer just for beach and sea. We have more ancient cities and historical ruins than Greece and Italy. We have Topkapı Palace in Istanbul which is world's biggest and oldest one.

• Try to eat your meals as close to London time as possible.

• Got currency?

• Future me

• lol we dont expect you peasant americans to go anywhere else except the uk "Oghhh may goooodddd we spiiik ingliish en thayy spikk tuuuuu ohhh gooshhhh lets go to tha ukkk"

Why did I forget to not allow anons? Are you getting bored waiting for your mom to hurry up with this brownies or is moms basement just not cutting it?

We're coming anyways. Probably don't live in London. I hope your mom hurries up with the brownies.

By the way, goodbye troll. Go look for a job can't mooch off mom forever.

What Girls Said 2

• Bring medicine. Like basic stuff. Ibuprofen, a few plasters an anti septic. I mean I know it's the UK but it can be quite annoying trying to get medicine in another country

Have digital and hard copies of all important documents and always keep the actual documents on your body. There's nothing worse than having your passport stolen

I'm assuming you're american? Make sure all your electronics work with 220V.

I don't know when your flight is, but I prefer flights that land in the evening so you can just go to bed. You'll be tired after a long flight one way or another so it's better to just be able to go to bed. No need to "adjust your sleep shedule"

• No, I wish I could travel much more. Sounds like you're going to have a fun trip, though! Do you have an adapter for electrical outlets? Not sure if London and Scotland have the same kind of plugs that we do.