What would happen if?

What would happen if you were scuba diving and you went so far down into the sea that it became difficult to tell which way was up and which way was down. If you stopped moving/swimming would you float to the top? Or sink lower?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 9

• Whether or not you sank would depend upon your buoyancy. As a diver descends, water pressure compresses the wetsuit, which reduces the buoyancy it provides.
    A diver also wears a buoyancy vest, into which air can be released, or from which it can be vented, to control buoyancy.
    Given that, unless the diver is breathing low-oxygen mixed gasses, a SCUBA diver will die if they go deeper than 50 metres, I doubt that the sort of confusion that the asker posed would happen.
    The gas issue works like this.
    Oxygen is roughly 20 per cent of the surface atmosphere. It, therefore, has a partial pressure of.2 at the surface. For every 10 metres that a diver descends, one atmosphere of pressure is added. At depth of 50 metres, oxygen will achieve a partial pressure of one atmosphere, which is lethal.
    I am always amused when I look at the 200 metre rating on my Tag watch. A diver would have been dead for a long time before they reached 200 metres.

• you can't because of the extreme pressure you would end up with the bends aka decompression
    but you would still float to the top. you would only sink if your lungs fill with water, plus scuba divers have a buoyancy belt, usually with lead as weight and the air from the tanks.

• Follow the bubbles to the surface. Divers carry equipment that makes them neutrally buoyant so they don't have to expend energy to avoid rising or sinking.

• I think because gravity exists you can tell which way is up and which way is down. only space has no orientation because there is no land or point of reference unless you see some stuff in sight.

pretty clever, you wanna go to space with me?

• You're supposed to stay still and watch which way your air bubbles are going if you get disoriented like that because they always flow towards the surface

• In scuba diving. You use a jacket attached to your tank that you use to balance yourself so. that you dont sink or rise. Its also inpossible to go thst far down because the farther u go, the thicker your oxygen supply gets, which means the faster it diminshes.

• Ignoring the whole issue of being crushed by pressure, I'm pretty sure you'd float

• The bubbles from your air always go up to the surface.
    You may just stay in that spot, possibly go lower.

• Depends on how much weight you put on your belt. If weighted properly, you would neither rise nor sink. If disoriented, watch where the bubbles from your exhalation go and follow them.

What Girls Said 2

• You would float up. But you wouldn't be able to go deep enough for that to happen if scuba diving. Regardless, usually when you're diving you put a flag up and sometimes tether yourself to it so boats on the surface know there's a diver below. Look for the flag and follow the bubbles.

• You are filled with oxygen so you would float up