I want to write a small book relating to astronomy, can someone help me find a topic that's not too broad and not too narrow?

I'm writing as a hobby by the way.
Astronomy is such a vague topic, so obviously I'm not going to write about astronomy in general, it's too broad. Astronomy consists of many different things, hence it will need series of books. I only want to write a long research paper. I want it be at least 16 pages long, that's why I'm referring to it as a small book. The important things I'm looking for are: the topic can be written in a persuasive way, I can think of a controversial thesis statement from it, and most important of all, it can approximately fit in the amount of pages I'm willing to write.
I have thought of writing about an astronomical theory. One of the theories that I came across is the fission hypothesis. The fission hypothesis is one of the three classical hypothesis for lunar origin. The hypothesis states that the Moon may have been spun off the Earth during its early formation and the Pacific basin was thought to be the area from which the Moon was drawn. I'm afraid the topic I thought of will end up being too narrow. In other words I wouldn't find enough arguments to be persuasive in at least 16 pages. I don't want to be limited to explaining the theory in 1 or 2 pages, and run out of ideas and/or arguments. What do you think about choosing the fission hypothesis topic? Should I keep it or should I think of something else?

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe one of the comets that have come close to Earth in the past few years? We've even launched space probes towards them!
    Another suggestion is Pluto... first the 9th planet, than not... and recently a probe has passed it and made splendid pictures so that may make a good story :D

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it would be best to tackle the obvious thing: terrestrial planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars), the gas planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune), and the former dwarf planet Pluto in our own solar system. This would be a not too broad and not too condensed topic because there might be terrestrial planets and gas planets unknown to mankind for now, so better settle for our own solar system.

Your question got me thinking these:

· Do gas planets experience quakes and natural disasters?
    · Which planets are more likely to have their own biosphere in the future years to come?
    · If the universe indeed originated from a singularity, then it's somewhat questionable because each celestial body is distinct from one another.
    · What would happen if the Sun, a star, dies? Supernova? What star would replace the Sun if it were to die?

What Guys Said 1

• Trans-Neptunian objects seem to be the "in thing" right now.

What Girls Said 0