Do you think guys who are awkward around kids can be a good father?

A friend of mine is really awkward with kids. he is kind of afraid to hold kids. Actually he is little bit scared of them. When you will see him with kids , it's always awkward. He is not friendly but not hostile too , he is just awkward. you know what i mean

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• Do you think guys who are awkward around kids can be a good father?

Well it's kind of different when your holding your own baby or around your own child. Of course people will be a bit awkward around other peoples kids but it's not the same when it's your own.

Most Helpful Girl

• I never liked children until I had my own.
    I used to think the cries of babies were annoying when I would hear them in public.
    I didn't even know how to converse with a child.
    When I had mine, it gave me experience on how to communicate with children in general.

I'm a great Mom.
      The bond I felt with my child when he was in my womb is beyond words.
      Who would have known for a woman who was awkward around kids?
      That goes to show you, that isn't an indication.

that's wonderful :)

What Guys Said 17

• "A kid" and "My kid" are two very different things. I hate people in general, that doesn't mean I don't like certain individuals.

• definitely can still be good or great father's

• Yes, he can be a good father, but the information you offer is inconclusive. It doesn't _guarantee_ he'll be a good father. It does show he understands kids are fragile and wants to be responsible when handling them, which is a good sign, if it's the accurate perception.

he is afraid that baby will fall if he holds him?

him/her*

Babies, especially for the first few months, have relatively big heavy heads, underdeveloped necks and disproportionately small bodies. If you don't hold them correctly, they could get seriously hurt. Also their skulls are soft, and if a six foot tall guy holds one, the baby is about seven or eight times its own height above the ground. They don't necessarily stay still while you're holding them either. It's something one can get used to, but it is a bit daunting.

• Half of becoming a parent is learning. There's a reason all those cringy American TV shows have mum and dad learning as well as the kids - it's true.

• He likely won't be that warm and compasionate of a father... Nor will he likely necessarily be all that demanding of them. He'll just be that guy that works and says ask your mother... lol

• Anything is possible, Guys are like that when they aren't around kids often. I'm like that myself and actually refuse to hold babies since I don't often get exposed to kids; even my own nieces/nephews. I'm sure that would change if I became a parent.

Probably. You'd get used to it 😊

@Daynada Imagine what your parents or my grandparents had to go through using reusable cloth diapers and washing them every time! I now know their pain! lol

@WhereAmI OMG right! I don't think I could handle that that at all lol yuck 💩💩😂😂

• Why would someone like even want kids? If it did happen it that would probably just mean the birth control failed and it was an accident.

• some people have a natural give some don't. kids are a big deal and most people don't wanna screw things up or step over a line with others kids. that being said it's like anything else slowly get him comfortable and work at it and it will be fine.

• Need more information.

Ask him directly if he is receptive. Or, ask his friends.

• I'm the same way with other people kids. But when it comes to my nieces and nephew, I'm completely different. I treat them as tho they are my kids, so maybe when that guy have kids his behavior will change

• They make they best one's.

• Yes, it's a whoooole other story when it's his sons/daughter.

• It sounds more like he's really inexperienced with kids.

If he's caring and compassionate towards things in general, he'll like be a good dad.

• He's just careful because he doesn't know what he's doing. While he wouldn't make a good single dad, he would snap out of it eventualy and would be one of the best fathers.

• nooooo

• Men are always awkward with kids until they have their own. And even then it ain't easy. You dont want to appear creepy/over friendly or too wimpy, and you have no frame of reference unless you have a massive age gap with your youngest sibling/cousin etc.

"Men are always awkward with kids until they have their own"

97 percent of them, yeah, this ^^

• Not nessasary he probably just needs more practice

yes , he needs practice

What Girls Said 12

• Anybody can become a good father. Overall you need to remember that he doesn't have kids. That is not his kid. He doesn't know what he wants. Most men don't until it happens. Some 1st time fathers don't know how good of a father they'll be until they end up in that same delivery room and hold their child for the very first time. Women are the same. People are just people. But some people handle it well than others.

• My daughter's dad used to really not like kids, and it was obvious by the way he was around them.
    He always swore he never wanted children, and then when I was pregnant with her, I didn't think he'd want to know. I was preparing for him to tell me the worst, and I don't think he actually did want to know until he saw her.
    Now he's like a completely different person. He really is incredible with her and it's come so naturally to him. It's been a bit of a shock to see - in a really nice way.
    I think he's surprised everyone including himself.

So yes, they can make fantastic fathers. Most of them will.

thanks :)

@redeyemindtricks I know what you're trying to say, but I don't feel like I've got a bad side of anything. I'm the lucky one.
      At the end of the day, she's my daughter. My responsibility. Things like dating and such can come later.
      There was someone I was seeing for a short time a few months ago, but too many people got involved and it was tricky. It was kind of a blessing in disguise that it didn't work out though. I wasn't ready.

Overnights are an issue with he and I. He has brought it up himself a few times and it is one of the things we argue quite a lot about. For me, she's far too young. I've said to him that when she gets to around three and half or four, we can discuss it properly.

He is a player and he does get with girls, but as long as he's doing that in his own time, that's his business.

He didn't have to stick around at all. I said that to him at the start, but he's doing his best.
      We can only take it as it comes.

Good luck.

• yes because in the end nothing is similar to having your own.

that's a good point.
      but he is awkward with every kid?

Hmm some people just are this way, could be because he's not ready to have children RIGHT now ya know.

• He just doesn't know what to do with them. Some girls are this way too. It's a natural response but he could learn.

• I never wanted kids till I got older and I love my son to death. He's a really great kid too! I'm so lucky to have him!

• its different when its their own and thry learn fast.

• Yeah, they might still be ok. I know some people don't like other people's kids, but when it comes to their own it's totally different.

• i guess it would be different if it was your kids personally I want a guy who willing to talk to kids then ignore them or "too shy" to. Not attractive at all.

• Yes, definitely

• Yep, having your own kid is different

• Most people become comfortable with kids through experience... Often at a young age when they don't even realize they're picking it up. But some people don't have those opportunities and develop them later.

• Hell yeh... My hubs is the world's most awkward dude when it comes to kids. However the most important thing is whether he is willing to try. After our son came, though my husband is bad at fatherly things. He tries and tries and tries... Now he's a very good father... And on top of that he bonded so well with our son that our son would run to the dad before me. Everything he does or ask involves daddy...

My hubs used to be so sucky at changing diapers that it took him 10mins... However he can do it within 10 secs now. He used to be awkward when playing with kids now he handles our son as if he is some baby whisperer. He used to fumble with bottle feeding... Now he can even work my breast pumps when im half asleep... And in return... He told me the happiest days of his life is getting this beautiful chance to experience this knowing it will never be this way. Those are days you cannot take back.

wow.
      it sounds great :)

That's awesome <3