What is the best way to respond when a person close to you confides in you that they were diagnosed with moderate depression and used to self-harm?

they tried the prescribed meds in the past but stopped because they didn't like the side effects and how it made them feel. they do not intend to go to counseling. they do not currently self-harm.
they said they were worried you'd be disgusted and/or dislike them but you don't feel that way and it doesn't change how you see them apart from feeling a bit sad and wanting to support them.

• ”and? is that all? why would you think i'd dislike you? that's so common. not healthy though, glad you don't cut anymore.”
  • ”oh you poor thing. that is so sad. you must've been going through a lot.”
  • other (please explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• "Whereas I may not understand what you are going through or the things that trigger those events, I want you to know that not only am I here for you as a friend but that I also care enough about you to try to help you through the tough times ahead."

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I think you should back away from trying to help them a little but you can help in a moderate way. Depressed people donot like others feeling pity for them makes them even more depressed. You can show them fun things about the world or something they like to take them off the negative thinking. Also depression medicine usually don't work it makes them feel more depressed. P. s a once depressed person

What Guys Said 2

• I would comfort them, and tell them I would be there if they need someone to talk to.

What Girls Said 1

• Tell them that you're here to help and support them, and that they can come to you whenever they need. They'll really appreciate the support. Also, keep an eye out and if they seem unenthusiastic, distant, tired, worn out, just ask them if they're okay. It goes a long way.