Black people, is there ANY context in which a white person says the N word and you wouldn't feel enraged or offended?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 10

• I'm half black so I can answer this. I'm always enraged when white people say the n word. People of all races use it and don't know the meaning behind it even black people.

• It makes me uncomfortable when a non black person uses it. It's just not a pretty word in general, it has a horrible history. When black people use it, it's a little different. It's a reclaiming of a derogatory term that white people meant for disrespect and emotional harm and black people have turned it around as a noun and in some cases a term of endearment.

• The word 'nigga' I think only affects the black people of America. Cause in places like Africa, the word means nothing and we don't get offended. You'd see here in Namibia white people calling black people niggers and even sometimes black people calling white people niggers and then laughing it off.

• Nope. And white people love to throw around "you call yourselves that so it's okay" um, well I personally don't call myself or anyone else that and I would prefer for it to not be said in my presence, whether it's the "-ga" version or the "-ger" version. It's 2016, not 1716 or 1816

• I don't ever feel enraged or offended by someone saying the n word. Like I give a fuck. It makes them shady but that isn't any of my business. If my friends ever said it then I'd give them major side eye so they feel discouraged.

• As a black person, I don't even use it that often, so when a non-black person uses it, I feel very uneasy.

• Nope it's never gonna work for me. People in general shouldn't be saying this word so casually to begin with.

• I think it makes anyone who says it sound ignorant.

• Depends on how they use it. If they are just quoting someone or just making a little joke then I don't get offended, but if you are being hateful and refer to black people with the word n****r then that's definitely offensive. I don't care if people use the word nigga, everyone says it, it kinda means bro nowadays.

• It's embarrassing
    Black people don't say honky or cracker

They do actually:

Never said they did. You just said they don't at all.

@Hidden_P it's just disrespectful either way I have a mother who would tell me to not let people say it it needs to start with music first because rappers are letting their listeners say it

What Guys Said 4

• I've called several black people that, @mistnigqa808 I say it to on here of course I always have their permission and I know it doesn't bother them or anything. I'm respectful about it, I won't go up to a random black person and say what's up my nigga even though when I worked at the gym for like 3 years that's what black folks would always say to me lol, maybe the ones around here just aren't as wound up about it or something they're pretty good folks most of them round here.

• Black people call each other "nigga" all the time, so I don't see a reason as to why I shouldn't. If it were so wrong, then they should probably stop calling each other that first.

• HELL NO. I don't call anyone that out of respect.

• You could say "potato" and they would be outraged and offended.