Why don't schools have a program to talk about suicide and self harm for students?

I remember when I was in high school on the news I'd constantly hear about students killing themselves. No one ever did at my school when I was there. Honestly i was probably at the highest chance of being the one at my school to kill themself. But thinking back and realising that there is a self harm awareness day and even days for anti suicide. So why don't schools adopt something to talk to students about suicide and self harm to teach them about it? Even if they don't think any of the students are at risk for it they can educate the students so there isn't stigmas put on people's who do hurt themselves or have thought of suicide. Wouldn't it help if kids where given an opportunity to talk how about how they feel or even learn about the signs in case it ever helps them with someone they know? I mean as someone who struggled with cutting and thoughts of suicide as a teen I think I would have benefited had my school have had some program or something for me to have been able to talk about it and not feel that stigma of feeling insane about how I felt

Most Helpful Guy

• School councillors are supposed to fill that role.

But most schools are afraid of getting into that much stuff because they don't want the responsibility or liability. Plus, they usually can't afford to higher professionals. And this is something you definitely want professionals for.

There are also suicide hotlines that are available, though I didn't know about them when I was in school.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some school districts do exactly this (or something similar). Santa Fe has a couple therapist that work to connect teens struggling to resources. If a student is experiencing suicidal ideation the best thing is to tell someone. That can help staff connect and get the student in with therapist to evaluate the risk, connect with the parents, and workout a plan for support.
    Almost 100% of people experience some kind of suicidal ideation. It's really more normal than people imply. To bad all schools don't follow your suggestions.

What Guys Said 2

• That's what counselors are for. Though in reality, it is far more helpful if they just feel like their teacher cares about them and then they would talk with them about it more than with some stranger that is paid just for that purpose.

• Liability issues. If the program "doesn't work" people sue. Nowadays, people will sue if they get one french fry short in their order.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't know about your school, but my school actually has a program for that. Not a great one, mind you--it's a video and a conversation with the school counselors--but it's something. And we used to talk about it in health class.