Has the Bible been changed?

Has the Bible been changed?

Updates:
3mo if so, why do you believe?

0|0
7|24

Most Helpful Guy

• OBVIOUSLY it has. The bible is a copy of a copy of copy of a translation of a copy of a translation of a translation of a copy.
    And by "copy" I don't mean putting it under a modern copy machine and using a laser printer to print an exact duplicate.
    As a historian I can assure you that "copying" something during the medieval times meant something drastically different than what it means today. Not only were all texts copied by hand but more importantly, the idea of copying something to the exact detail did not exist (it's a modern concept). During the middle ages, it was considered absolutely normal to add your own ideas to a text, maybe leave some other things away, change the structure a little etc.. This practice wasn't considered fraud as it might be seen today. It was how scribes typically worked. If we add to this the fact that all the translations were made by men, not all of whom were proficient at their source language and therefore made mistakes or fell for things such as false friends (words that sound the same but are not related), it becomes obvious that what we believe to be the bible today has little to do with what it used to be thousands of years ago.

Additionally, please note that the bible is not one coherent book. It's a collection of stories that span over a period of roughly 2,000 years and which were more or less randomly put together. Note also that for the most part, there are no "original documents". Most of the stories in the bible were originally passed on by oral tradition (very normal for those times). If you've ever played the telephone-game in kindergarten, you know how easily things can get changed this way. Now, imagine this doesn't happen for a couple of years but rather, it's the normal way of passing on a story for over 1,000 years before anyone even writes it down (literacy was extremely uncommon back then). It would be preposterous to think that what we read today has anything to do with the "original" stories that people told each other while sitting around a fire 3,000 years ago.

1|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. The original paged have been changed so it would fit better inside the church. Happened centuries ago... it was done by a council. Sorry, but I forgot the name.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 23

• It's incredibly faithful to the oldest extant Greek manuscripts, according to all credible textual science practitioners. There are virtually no discernible differences in essential content. The Jehovahs Witnesses NWT is a fraudulent translation, however, according to all accredited Greek scholars.

1|1
    0|2
  • Anyone who thinks the most famous book in the world hadn't been altered sinced it wss first penned and put together by a cultist group of Hebrew scholars is deluding themselves.

Every time it has been translated, for instance, some meanings or tone had been distorted.

It has also been changed (usually some pages ripped out) every time a new division starts.

Various British monarchs have also had a crack at rewriting the works to fit around their reforms and what they considered right. Henry VIII of England and James VI of Scotland/I of England come to mind.

Then you have interpretation and overlooking. Combine all that and that's why there's so much fighting between Christian subgroups.

The problem isn't unique to Christianity, either. It's very prevalent in Muslim cultures, too.

1|2
    0|1
  • It has been translated from the original (?) text. The English versions may well have lost some of their original meaning as it's difficult to translate local dialects and inflexions. An modern day example is using on line translators to go from Japanese to English. Sometimes the result just doesn't make sense.

1|0
    0|0
  • The language and grammar has been changed but the meaning of the words, scriptures, and parables is still exacticually the same. For a book written originally is a variety of languages and then to be translated into so many more. It is as accurate as it can be.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are many translations

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it use to be written only in Latin, now you can get a copy in probably any language. Other than that though, no the Bible has not been changed.

1|0
    0|1
  • It has been translated from the original, but people say certain things have been changed but I have a KJV

1|1
    0|1
  • Thre bible has been rewritten and re interpreted so many times that the original authors work is no longer there. It is full of some good information, and some appalling horrible crap.
    Do not believe it verbatim, much of it is complete rubbish and irrelevant today.
    All of the so called holy books were written by men, not gods, and were designed to get people to believe that religions own form of doctrine.
    Believe whatever you like, but organised religious groups have been, and still are, responsible for most violent conflict, and premature deaths from war or murders.
    The vast majority of terrorism is caused by idiotic religious teachings, based on 'holy' books!

0|0
    0|0
  • Weren't there newer and older versions of it?
    Kind of funny how God is supposedly presented as an all knowing and never changing being and yet he was able to "change his mind" and write a new testament with new rules?

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

You understand the bible was not written by god right?

• Show All
    • 3mo

"Dont be so western"
      -If I consider myself an apache helicopter, am I one? I call them an ethnicity and not a race because that's what they are. You don't have to be Western in order to know this. Even non-westerners know the basic definitions of what a race is.

"Again, the istealites where around before the Romans... again so your argument is?"
      -My argument is that them being older than [insert any culture] is irrelevant because that proves nothing of anything. The Summer people were older than Isrealites - does that prove anything? No. That is just a fact. My point is - what does them being "older than" other cultures have to do with them being favored by God?

"your ignorance astounds me"
      -I could say the same to you. My point is - the israelites weren't the first in the Middle East. I'm not saying the Muslims were. They weren't either. I'm just saying that there were people there before both israelites and muslims.
      @somebodysaycheese

• 3mo

And for fucks sakes - you have STILL yet to prove - how or why the israelites are the chosen people of God and that the scriptures are the word of God. The only thing you have claimed so far is "oh israelites were persecuted, oh israelites are so old oh bar bar"

What the flying fuck does them being old and persecuted have to do with squat anything? I'm Latvian and we were persecuted throughout our history as well. But what does me mentioning this fact bring to the table? Fucking nothing. The same as with you constantly repeating this shit about israelites - them being in a historically bad and old position mean fuck nothing in this argument.
      @somebodysaycheese

• There's no such thing called original Bible

1|0
    0|0
  • i think yes, how can we read that stuff if its in an ancient language in primitive syntax? most modern people can read that. its not gonna make sense to people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course, it was changed multiple times to fit the sentiments that would benefit the church the most at the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • If your Bible has the word 'version" on its cover, then there have been changes along the way.

0|0
    0|0
  • The world may never know

0|0
    0|0
  • For starters, any time you read a translated text and rely on THAT as your holy text, it is a CHANGED text. I don't want to go on as I am not a scholar. so I'll stop here.

0|0
    0|0
  • That is hard to know. I read somewhere that there is an organization that holds original texts of the bible and checks them for accuracy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol yeah. Like a thousand times.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mr Palek's got it right

0|0
    0|0
  • According to our belief (Islamic) yes it has been changed

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Many things have been taken out over the years.

0|0
    0|0
  • actually yes.. the first catholics changed it which is a huge sin

0|0
    0|0
  • The original documents were written in Hebrew (Old Testiment), and Latin (New Testiment). There about a hundred modern interpretations, and although the basic idea and principles are recognizable, certain words or phrases can be lost in translation. Therefore, one translation may make more sense in English than another for each verse/chapter.

The only Bible that has actually been intentionally modified is the Mormon Bible - but that is a whole different religion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course.
    A decent history of the Bible and the changes it's undergone can be found in wikipedia, if you're interested.

The sort of changes range from : the selection of books. For example, virtually all the Protestant faiths (non Catholic ones) have a different set of books than the original catholic version. And those changes only came about in the last few hundred years.
    The original selection of books wasn't exactly set in stone either.
    And when you translate things from Greek and Aramaic into Latin, and then into English, you're going to make a few mistakes.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Smh at anyone who relies on Wikipedia.

• Show All
    • 3mo

@Miezko You're dumb as hell for two reasons. 1, everything I said was true, you can choose another citation if you wish. And 2, studies have been done and wikipedia is actually more accurate and reliable now than the Encyclopedia Britannica.

If you're still going by studies 10 years old or more (http://www. cnet. com/uk/news/study-wikipedia-as-accurate-as-britannica/ ) then wikipedia was still reliable, but not as reliable as Britannica. But it's been a long 10 years and Wikipedia is now more accurate. (https://blog. wikimedia. org/2012/08/02/seven-years-after-nature-pilot-study-compares-wikipedia-favorably-to-other-encyclopedias-in-three-languages/ )

Get with the times.

• 3mo

Like I said try writing a college level paper citing Wikipedia. And as the poster it's your job to provide credible sources not mine.

What Girls Said 6

• It's always being changed. KJV is closest to the original as you can get.

1|1
    0|1
  • The bible yes. Who translated it has changed. When the scriptures where first translated to put in the bible from hebrew and aramaic to Greek things where changed to fit the ones in power at the time which was the Romans. After that it was changed to Latin and then When Christian empires in Europe came about the kings and Queens created diff. denomination to fit them to stay in power.
    Today , the scriptures are essentially translated properly excpet for small minor translations also their are more scriptures that should be added and might in the future.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it's been translated so many times that it has changed. Some of the languages that books were written in don't even exist anymore and it's a guessing game as to the meanings of some words.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Aramaic and hebrew are still around today.. lol

• 3mo

@somebodysaycheese There were languages before that in which certain books were written. One prime example of translating things is in none of the Native American languages is there a word for hate. How would they translate something written in English that had the word "hate" in it into their language? They'd have to use many other words to try to convey the concept of hate to their people which would open it to many interpretations.

• 3mo

But if Aramaic and hebrew are 2 of the 5 oldest langauges thats not possible. And it has nothing to so with the scruptures and Israelites

• No, it has not. Although you could get versions in different languages and in simplified English.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure never read the bible before

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah probably looaaaadddsssss

1|0
    0|0