Have you ever moved abroad?

I'm from Bulgaria and I'm thinking of moving to Italy. Already intrested in the language and culture. Just graduated college and can't see myself doing anything here. I want to experience something different. But I just have enough money to move and maybe pay a one month rent. So I have to find a fucking job there in order to survive. I searched online and seems like I have to go there and then find a job because noone wants to trust someone who lives miles away from them.

I'm thinking maybe working at a bar or something temporarily while I get better in Italian before I find a job in my line of work. (Media) but would they hire someone who just moved there and does not have a work or residency permit.

Is this possible? Do you have any experience in this?

Everyone tells me not to do it yet they dont give a logical reason not to.

• Give up.
  • Don't give up.

Most Helpful Girl

• Greetings! I am Bulgarian too and I moved to the UK when I was 18 to study. Everyone told me not to do it and just like you had money for months rent and had to get a job to put myself through Uni... You guess what it absolutely worth it but that's because I had the courage and the emotional strengths to make it work.. A lot of the people I met here who were in the same situation could not take the pressure and went back home..

It is not easy.. It is damn scary when you are on your own but it is tremendous character building experience and I would NEVER change even a day of misery that I experiences after coming here as that made me who I am..

Getting a job in your field there with BG degree may be a challenge though but not impossible if you do your homework and know how to pull it off... Good luck!!

What Guys Said 2

• OP, its gonna be hard.

Logically speaking you're making things harder for yourself, here's why.

1) Why should a bar owner hire a young, foreign girl who barely speaks the language when he can hire someone with more knowledge about mixing, fluent in the language, and potentially is a part of the community?

2) Lets say you do get hired, then what, you're going to wait how long until you leave the gig? If the owner finds out he might be pissed, going back to the first reason, why hire you if you're going to leave soon after taking the job.

3) You've left the bar, you speak Italian, now you're looking for a media job. Whats on your resume? Oh thats right, bartender for x months. If Italy has anywhere near as much over saturation in the job market as the US does, you're at a disadvantage from the kids straight out of college because you might be seen as someone who has forgotten information about your major.

OP, I would put Italy on hold. Get a job in Bulgaria, move up the ranks, make some money and all that, then go to Italy in a few years, you'll be established, you'll have a body of work and it will make your job search easier. You can practice Italian while working and when you decide to leave for Italy, you'll be fluent and can skip the bar tending gig all together.

• Don't give up.

What Girls Said 2

• Yes, we lived in New York for six years when I was little, and when I left college in the UK, I went to work in Naples for six months followed by Milan for six months.
    I loved that time of my life. I do miss it, but both my mother and sister live in Italy now so I still get to go over quite a lot.

• I haven't but I'd love to someday