Do you find life unfair at times?

Most of people that I've come across (baby-boomers & Gen-X) with would tell me how things were between the 70s and early 2000s. Things like music, social life, tv, entertainment to even being able to buy ice cream for less than 15 cents. Sometimes I tend to agree with them and think why isn't life as interesting as it use to be in their times as a pre-teen at least, I wish I was born earlier (born in Dec 1992). Wouldn't it be nice buy a McDonalds meal for 18 cents or a 3 course at a restaurant for 58 cents.

Some places around the world had better days in the previous decades compared to now, and Zimbabwe is perfect example. If you've lived or visited there in the 80s & 90s and followed it up til now, you'll now what I mean.

Most Helpful Guy

• Some things were better, others were much worse. Yes, Zimbabwe was indeed a happier place in the 70s but I could give you tons of counter-examples. Take my girlfriend's home country South Korea. If my girlfriend lived in the 1970s, she would have been born into a brutal right-wing, nationalist dictatorship. Anyone who was only suspected to disagree with the government was hunted down and thrown in prison for years. People who dared to support North Korea (which in fact did better than South Korea back then) was tortured and killed. In June 1980, there was a famous uprising of University students and professors in Gwangju (south-east) who peacefully demonstrated for freedom and democracy. The South Korean government sent troops and ordered its military to use violence to make an end to the uprising. In the following days, over 600 peaceful protesters were brutally killed. At the same time, the Korean government decided to go through an ultra-fast industrialization and the sacrifices were very high. Factory workers were practically slaves, working 18 hours a day for a bowl of rice. On top of that, the country was still incredibly poor from the war 20 years earlier and many people died from starvation or disease. Life really wasn't fun.
    But even if you take less crazy examples, you won't just find good things. Take my country Switzerland: yes, there was peace and democracy and yes, we did do economically well since we didn't participate in world war two but the society was ridiculously stuck-up and conservative. Women weren't allowed to vote until 1971. In one canton (~ state), they weren't even allowed to vote until freaking 1991. Handicapped people like myself were abandoned by their parents and put into miserable, dark institutions where they were left completely alone and were sometimes even sexually abused by the staff without being able to defend themselves. And there was a law that made it illegal for unmarried couples to live in the same apartment/house. So if my girlfriend and I lived in the 1970s, we would have never found an apartment and if we had anyway, we would have to constantly worry to get thrown in jail.

And I'm pretty sure similar stuff existed in the US too. So were some things better when our parents were young? Sure. Would I want to live 40 years ago? No thanks.

What Girls Said 6

• lol I'm not gonna romanticize the past just by scratching what things seemed to be like on the surface. Every generation has its good and its bad, I still think the world we're living in now is in much better condition than say the 1970s

• The problem with this thought process is that 15 cents for an ice cream was relative to that time period. For example, minimum wage in the 70's in America was 1.60$ and hour so 15 cents for an ice cream really isn't that much cheaper than it is now. Where I live minimum wage is 11.25$ and hour so a 3 dollar ice cream is not that expensive.

• Except minimum wage back then was like $4/hr. Or maybe less. So things had to be cheaper so people could afford them

• I find life very unfair

• sony is coming out with contact lenses that record and playback !

• Absolutely not. Life is fucking perfect 24/7 and anyone who disagrees doesn't know jack.

If life were perfect, it would be boring. There are positives and negatives in today's world. Flaws is what makes our world fun. It's up to you if you want to make the world positive or negative. You influence your surroundings WAY more than you think.

Why? Age is just a number because why should age be a barrier unless you're a kid.

@fueledbythc Exactly, some kids can't think for themselves. For example, if a pedophile were to walk up to an unattended child and offer them candy if they were to go with them in their van, of course that child is going to have the wrong impression of them (that they are trustworthy). It's kind of hard for me to explain..
      Another example, a thirty year old wanting to date a thirteen year old. That adolescent may THINK they want that relationship, but their brain isn't fully developed, so their views might change, and they could easily be manipulated into doing things they don't want to do. Not only that, but it's illegal anyway.
      That's why I'm hesitant to say "age is just a number" solely because of this reason. Sorry for the long reply. :P

What Guys Said 17

• Life is unfair because we did not get to pick and choose to come into this world and reality in the Very First Place!

There's only so much control that we actually have. And more often than not we really have no control and sometimes we only have very few options that are "good", and sometimes we may have absolutely no good options at all!

We cannot completely decide how we want to exist or exist as in the very fist place either.

If I had known what being mortal and being "human" is all about and how unfair that this world's systems are where those that came before us and hold all the power and authority and run this world and shaped it in the way they saw it to be fit for them I would have never ever wanted to come here at all.

That and because being a sentient being that is so vulnerable, fragile, temporary is just completely Empty to me. Being completely made out of Blood, Flesh, and Bone and all Biological Organic components, etc., As the whole fucking genetics system is flawed and a terrible idea to me for how we are brought into existence as we can't pick and choose our genes, we can't pick and choose our parents or the family we're born into or the environment we're born into.

We born, we live, we will suffer, we will become ill eventually, we will feel pain, loneliness and unhappiness, and ultimately we die no matter what it is that we do. It's all just Empty, why would anyone ever want to come here into this kind of a world and this kind of a reality in the very first place?

As I said before if I had known I would rather have been created entirely different as a whole different class of being an entity altogether. Not being dependent upon genetics and DNA, and consisting of flesh, bone, and blood as it's all too fragile, too vulnerable, and the worst part is requiring Constant Maintenance! The way humans have to exist just have WAY TOO MANY flaws.

If I got to pick and choose in the very first place, then I'd probably would exist and reside on a whole completely different planet way out there some where beyond our very solar system, exist as something that can never suffer, feel any sort of pain physical or emotional, and can't really die or have so many vulnerabilities and requiring constant maintenance all while still possess the capacity for great intelligence and memory and independent thoughts and thinking process but at the same time completely WITHOUT ANY hostile, or any sort of aggressive or ill intentions or desires.

• It is!! Or rather can be mate... but you got to make your own luck. It's the most cliche ish thing that can be said sure. But it holds true, trust me lol.

• In short yes I do think life is unfair at times. However hang in there, I hope that perhaps in the next 10 years or so our culture is able to turn things around a little bit more, so that life doesn't seem to beat you up so bad...

• Your write up doesn't match your question.

I can tell you that the best times were the 80s, no question about it. The reason is due to the optimism and leadership of Reagan and Thatcher. We thought they could do anything, and indeed they set hundreds of millions of people free. The future was so bright, we had to wear shades.

If you really want to see a civilization that fell (Rhodeia/Zimbabwe is a good example, and so is Lebanon), go to Rome. Stand in the Forum and imagine "What happened to these people?" Their technology and sophistication of civilization was so advanced that it took many hundreds of years after the fall to recover.

• Yep, nothing is fair, we're all being taken advantage of

• yeah when l was a little younger from 8 years old to the age of 58 l always had girls a women throwing them selves at me. yes when l was 8 a 30 yr. old woman after the 3rd. time l met her she let me sit on her lap l started rubbing my nee on her then she scuttled forward and l started rubbing my leg up and her pussy. l never said a word about it to anyone , it happened a few more times at the same place. then l didn't see her anymore , found out she moved. This is the first time l've said anything . that's about 60 years ago.

• With all due respect sir, may I call you a slowpoke without actually offending you until you have realized this obvious thing?

• It is all about how you perceive the world. As human beings, we have the opportunity to be positive or negative to our surroundings.

• Yes, and a lot of the unfairness comes from ourselves and what we push onto others.

• Does a bear shit in the woods?

• Hell, yes. Especially at work.

• Yes life is very unfair. Some have it way easier than others. Its the cold hard truth.

• unfairness is everywhere, but unfairness is fair to everyone.

• Definitely

• Do I find life unfair at times? Yeah. Do I want to live in the 80s? Absolutely not.

• Yep sometimes

• Food may have cost less, but wages were a lot lower too. Things were not better in the past, just different. Think about the huge technological advances over the past 25 years which benefit your life now.
    Zimbabwe is not a valid example for your argument, its government's policies have systematically wrecked the country.