Do you know when to use an apostrophe and when to use a plural?

I see people get this wrong a lot. Do you know when to use an apostrophe and when to use the plural?
Do you know when to use an apostrophe and when to use a plural?And lastly...

Please think of the puppies...

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• it goes even further and being a English minor i can even say some of it can be confusing

its vs it's can be tough for some because the 's typically denotes possessive tense however in its vs it's it does not since it's is a contraction like doesn't or wouldn't

then there is the apostrophe (to demonstrate possessive tense) in a plural case. lawn, lawn's, lawns, lawns'... OR singular words that end in S (most often seen in proper nouns) and what to do when making it possessive Phillies' vs Phillies's

it's a little complicated but the rules are fairly simple to remember so it shouldn't be a problem

What Girls Said 8

• Yes, never had troubles with it, but then - I´ve been learning English as a foreign language. I noticed that native speakers err in that and confuse their, there and they´re and your + you´re and its + it´s. I guess it is understandable. They learned to speak it first, then write it...

"It's" is a tricky one as you don't use the apostrophe when showing possession"
      such as "that business is beautiful, i love it's sign" <wrong, should be "its"

with such words, the apostrophe is only used for the contraction "it's beautiful" as in "it is beautiful"

@feminismisnarcissism I know that... I was just saying that I noticed that people interchange even those... :-) :-)

• thank you!

i am a literature major, and it drives me absolutely batty when people (especially adults) misuse punctuation. so glad to see a take like this!

(please, won't someone think of that adorable puppy!)

• Yes, I know the difference.

• fuck puppy's

• You use the apostrophe when it's showing possession "the girl's car" and then when it's a contraction with "is" like "it's beautiful".

• I know it very well.

• Yup.

• Haha.. I do.

What Guys Said 12

• I never get's this wrong.

• the grammar nazis are at it again.

Excuse me, but this is punctuation we're talking about this time. What, do you hate puppies?

No i do'nt hate em. Am i doing it right?

• Yes, I know how to use an apostrophe and I had no idea there were people who did that. It is probably from foreigners or people who don't have English as their first language. It could also be kids or people who were raised in the ghetto without a decent school/education.

• Thank you! And please think of the puppies!

• people dont use an " ' " next to my name. My name has an apostrophe, please us it. (banks is an example)

• apostrophes are for 2 things:

1/ showing possession
    eg: that girl's car
    not plurals: those girl's over there (wrong)

2/ showing a conjunction
    eg: they're very smart people (apostrophe in place of missing letter/s, in this case letter "a")

• It would probably help if you explained when using an apostrophe is appropriate

• I have passed 3rd grade.. if that's what you wanted to know.

• I already know this thank's

• Is this to just remind people on here of how to write things correctly?

• It drives me crazy. Even store names, Lowes is now Lowe's. It seems like anything that ends with a S is now 'S
    NOBODY even uses S' always 'S
    NOT Joes' bike it has become Joe's bike. Since when did possession change to 'S?

• Lol I think everyone dose know's how to use em