Have you ever talked on the phone while being rung up at a register?

While you are being checked out at a register in a store, you ever talk on your phone while doing that? See it all the time.

• Yes, no big deal
  • No, that's rude

Most Helpful Girl

• No. I work with customers and It's so rude.

Where I used to work at Starbucks, people would try that. I'd ask "how may I help you? " and if they'd say "hold on" or worse, gesture with their hand to wait, sorry. Not with me lol
    So I'd be like "OK, next person please " and start taking care of the next customer. The rude person on the phone would be like "wtf?" And I'd be like "sorry, but you're not going to hold up my line. Come back when you're ready next time".

Haha I can be a mega bitchhhh

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's super rude. If I get a call while paying I tell them I'll call them back. Being ignored while doing your job is degrading in my eyes.

I still talk to the cashier as well tho. I don't ignore them.

@CHARismatic110 well if you're not rude about that's different but I've seen assholes answer while getting rung up and the cashier asks them a question about their purchase and they respond like: "uh, I'm on the phone..." like, come on, really you prick? You're now holding up everyone in line cause you can't say "hold on just a sec". It's totally ill mannered.

Oh yeah, no. I'm not like that and I agree that that's rude. I've been a cashier before so I get it. And I've also been ignored while doing my job and it is rude as hell.

What Girls Said 27

• I don't see how it's rude. They're doing their job, you do yours. I don't see point of mindless small talk if you have something to do and its your free time.

It's rude. Don't be surprised if you get stares

How do you expect to meet new people then? Like a boyfriend?

Guys usually come up to me and I specifically go out with missions to meet guys I don't do it when shopping.

• No, that's rude. If I'm on the phone whilst shopping, it's usually to my mom or a friend and I just tell them I'm coming up to the register and I'll just be a minute and put the phone in my pocket until I'm done. If it's with someone that I can't really kinda put on hold or we're having a conversation that I need to have before leaving, I'll just wait to finish the conversation before joining the queue.

• Yeah, if I had to. I usually try to focus on buying whatever I want to buy, so I generally don't call people when I'm running errands. But if someone happened to call me while I was waiting in line, I wouldn't mind answering. I don't see the big deal. I'd still mouth "hi" and "thank you" to the person at the cash register. It's a store, not a five star restaurant.

• No I don't. I consider that rude. I've only done it ONCE as my oldest sister was blowing up my phone with miss calls. She set the house alarm off and didn't know what the code was to deactivate it. Even then I was at the deli ordering salami and I apologised, because I felt it was rude of me to even do that to the lady behind the counter

• A few times.

Honestly, the person checking me out didn't seem to mind majority of the time.

Few of them seemed unhappy, but they might've just had a bad day.

• I will do one of two things. The first tell whomever called I will call them right back. Second if I can't call them back and need to handle the conversation now I will drop out of line and let everyone else go and when the conversation is finished get in line again.

Not only is it out of respect for the cashier and other customers, I'm blonde and can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.

• Done it so many time before!

• No, I have not.

• Once, only once. It was my mom giving me instructions on some place to go or something to do. Typically, I can wait to talk when I'm done at the register.

• I have but only to answer, tell him I'm at the store and ask if he needs anything. If not, I'll call him back.

• No because I'm handling my wallet and my money and I need my full attention for that so I don't get screwed.

• I have held the phone but take a break to interact with the cashier.

• No because I'm not an asshole xD

• Yeah, it's often because I'm on the phone to the boyfriend asking what we need from the shops...

• Nope because I would have been fired if I did. XD

nm I'm being stupid and was thinking you meant if you were ran the register. Okay with ringing up I never do that. XD

• No.
    I'm not that coordinated lol

• Yes I have.

• It's quite rude. I have sadly done it before. It's many because it was something important.

• Only at the self serve!
    Hopefully the machine didn't think I was rude lol ;P

• Nope, I find it rude on my part to do that.

• Yes. It's rude but sometimes I have to.

• It's rude but I've done it before

• I've done it and I don't have think it's weird.

• Noo😁😁

• Pretty often :(

• I see it as rude. If I do get a call I tell them I'm in line and need to call them back.

• I probably shouldn't, but I don't talk unless it's urgent.

What Guys Said 10

• I don't. It's rude.

• No I'm shit at multitasking.

• Rude!

• Nope, nope and nope.

• Thats a dick move and no

• No. I don't talk to people on the phone while I'm busy.

• I've only done it if it's an important call that I took while standing in line. I try to hang up when I get to the register.

• No, but I've rung up people who are talking on the phone and it's rude and annoying.

• Yes it is rude I work on retail and it is very rude.

• Very rarely will I do that