Do you feel illegal immigrants take other peoples jobs?

• yes
  • no
  • some do, some don't

Most Helpful Girl

• As the wage inequality rises and people are forced to take more hard labor jobs, sure, I could see that happening. But the wages have to be fixed first. I don't think job 'stealing' is a huge issue right now.

Most Helpful Guy

• Illegal immigrants? Sure. They did not get in the country lawfully. Regular immigrants? No.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmW_JMTWYAAtUby.jpg

Legal immigrants are certainly taking jobs. They are doctors and engineers. They are the people that keep our country stupid because we import educated people rather than raising out own.

We don't have enough led schools and it is unreasonably hard to get in yet we have doctors educated in Brazil, Syria, Iran, Costa Rica and much shadier countries getting into the best Residency Programs.

Illegals work 7 days a week in kitchens or mowing lawns. They aren't working jobs lazy American 18 year olds would want.

@sjoes006
      There will not be magically 1 million doctors and engineers appearing out of the thin air when you stop the skilled immigration schemes. Especially not in an aging country that is barely about sub-replacement fertility. People keep on retiring and those jobs need to be filled. If people are not having kids and there are not enough people in the new generation to fill those gaps , then it has to come from somewhere. So are they "taking" other people's job as if it belonged to the "others"? No. It's free market competition , may the best man win.

Thanks for the MHG

What Girls Said 17

• I think if someone who can't speak English and has zero connections, can "steal" a job from a legal citizen who speaks perfect English and has connections, I feel sorry for the legal citizen.

• No, they get given jobs that no one else really wants to do and often get taken advantage of because of it.

• FUCK NO! Hold up isn't the statues of libery represent immigrant become American citizen. What about what America is suppose to stand for. Also aren't we all immigrants at some point. Just cuz you live here now didn't mean your ancestors were imported immigrant.

I don't mind legal immigrants getting jobs, but I don't like illegal aliens getting jobs.

• Um look I don't mind. Aslong as they are on a working Visa here or a temporary/permanent resident, as most businesses would not hire without those documentation anyways. I'm sure there businesses out there who hire people like that, but they probably get a minimum day wage

• They take the jobs legal citizens don't want (think: janitor, dishwasher) and are generally compensated unfairly.

• If they can rake your job, then you aren't that great of a candidate.

• Depends on the kind of job. Certain sectors can't find enough people to fill vacancies because "non-immigrant" people are not attracted to the jobs.

• Because ya know, illegal immigrants are totally stealing jobs such as engineers, doctors, teachers, librarians, vets, CEOs, and business men have. If you feel illegal immigrants are stealing jobs, you should have gone into a more specialized and educated field.

• I think illegals often work jobs citizens don't want to.

• No, they take the jobs that nobody wants.

• I don't think they do.

• Depends on what kind of job. Sometimes they are chosen to be payed less. Sometimes they are chosen because they are good.

• No, I got hired today :P

• Hmmmmm sad question

• I am not prejudice but in the last year, I do know thy have taken precedence over legal eagles.

• They are ILLEGAL they shouldn't even be here. I dont get why some people dont get that.

• If they're illegal they shouldn't be in the fucking country to start with.
    Kick the fuckers out.

It costs $10,000 of tax payer money to deport an illegal immigrant. Accepting them into our country does not take nearly as much.

@TheButterfly How very appropriate you should mention this, as it just so happens that as the senior administrator within the company, I actually have a lot of dealing coordinating with our HR department.
      I therefore believe at this point in time, I probably have more knowledge than you will ever have within this field.

Uhuh, totally anon. you're also the second coming too right? Should I confess all my sins?

What Guys Said 27

• I think they do, to an extent. They take jobs that are often already considered menial, and undercut the local workers' wages by so much that it becomes difficult if not impossible for anyone who isn't an illegal worker to make a living doing those jobs.

You used to pay your fruit pickers $10 an hour. An illegal worker will do it for $6 an hour. Can you stay competitive with the other producers in the area if you're the only one still paying $10 to your workers?

It's not an easy question and I accept that my answer is far from precise.

• As a legal immigrant in the US yes it does. Quite simply why would I pay an American worker when I can hire an illegal for a fraction of the price. I have a colleague at work who hires a Mexican maid to cook and clean as well as a Colombian Nanny take care of her kids and as a Mexican gardener that also maintains her house. If she's redecorating or making home improvements she hires a contractor that hires cheap illegal immigrant workers. Americans won't do manual labour or household chores anymore. I know so many like this mostly college educated liberals who love it became they feel good that they are helping the immigrant's plight, saving huge amounts of money and though they would never admit it having all these cheap workers around that are subservient to their needs makes them feel like they have an elevated status and that they are lord of the manor. Personally I won't pay someone for something I can do myself.
    Immigration does need reformed if you enter illegally you should be deported straight away and those that hire illegals should be punished harshly to discourage this practice.

The liberals I know hire regular poor people and pay them only slightly better than they are asking for and pat themselves on the back.

I haven't seen an illegal housekeeper since the 90's. Unfortunately out housekeepers are usually poor white women being paid off the books.

• No, they generally do jobs that people at the unemployment offices don't even want to do. For sometimes below or well below minimum wage. You could try to argue that if 100% of them were removed, the farmers would have to replace them with better paid workers, or use more automation. Both would likely drive the cost of produce way up.

• Well, technically, they do, but many are jobs no one wants to do.
    Anyways, illegal immigrants should be deported. If they wanna enter a country, they should do so legally.

• 1|0
  • Well I'm a foreigner who got a job in Australia. I also tried getting a job in the UK during the recession and as a saffa (South African) I get slammed a lot for taking jobs. The irony being that's it's usually by self entitled, uneducated rednecks that live off the government anyway. I created two jobs for Australians here. Boom bitch👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻

• There's no ifs or buts about it they do.

What do you think about what Ginny weasley says? you agree with her?

Nope not really, immigrants are hired on as workers under the table which is cheap and actually does hurt people actually needing a job because the boss, foreman or whatever is to cheap to hire a full time person. Immigrants take the jobs that we as American's don't want but still need to do regardless.

Thirdly it's a statistical fact that illegals do take up a lot of jobs and they don't pay taxes not to mention illegals usually get caught up in crime or criminals come over with them.

No matter what way you slice it, illegals are bad news and they need to get out or do it the right way or go somewhere else.

• "Illegal is not a crime"

Daily reminder that these idiots vote.

• That's not the problem. The problem is the fact that they're entering the country illegally. If you had a country you could just walk into willy-nilly, then you'd have Somalia.

Pirates may be badass but not in this case, guys

• If an illegal immigrant takes your job, then you probably should think about your decisions in life. A person hardly speaking your language and with low education should not be able to qualify for your job...

• Technically, I suppose, but not the jobs anyone is clamoring for... Maybe is the super-rich spent more of their money on growing out their businesses instead of buying politicians and political adds to demonize illegals this would be a non-issue?

• Not really, they get jobs that are way less paid, and that it would not exist if they were no illegal.

It's not because them that regular usa citizens will not get a job, if they really want it.
      But that's something it needs to be fixed to the goodd of all.

• Illeagal immigrants cannot work.

How can someone work if they don't have the right to do so?

Yeah like 0.01% do but that's like rare as meteorites on earth

They're about 5% of the workforce in the US technically.

Truck on the boats*

I meant it would be easy to know if someone that isn't legal has a legit legal job. From what I understand, the government claims they don't know who's illegally working but I doubt that's true. I've heard they use counterfeit social security identities or something. That wouldn't be difficult to catch IF they cared. I personally don't care much. From my perspective, they seem to want the labor but not want to let the general public understand that. I would rather just have a legal system for them to work if that's what the government really wants. I don't know though. They know they have to please the public and many people would be against illegal work so that's probably why it's a secret.

• saying no would be a lie. im ok with immigration but saying tha immigrats dont do a favor to people with little to no problems into trickying them working for less than citizens of whatever country you want is a liberal misconception

• I don't really mind. I don't want to work anyway 😂

• Even if they were, blame the companies who hire them, not the migrants themselves.

• Illegals are illegals, if you don't get that you are plain retarded.

• Exactly what jobs do illegals take? Jobs no American would do for the less than min wage illegals get. There are more Americans that live off begging for change than work as day laborers or janitors or gardeners.

• Yes and no. They lower the wages in many jobs driving legal citizens out of that line of work.

• They work hard without any type of ego and entitlement.

• Am against any illegal thing
    But some nations created on illegal brutal stuff

• I think we should kick all the illegal aliens out.

• My answer is NO, turn back to your country.

• Uh, no.

The whole idea would imply there is a fixed number of jobs and after that no work.

That's not how economies work. More people means more jobs. More proportion people working equals higher per capital income.

• They mostly take the jobs that locals would never even consider.

• Yikes! What does it say about you that someone that speaks no English and a grade school education can readily replace you.

I'm thinking like 80% of them are taking jobs most Americans would rather be homeless than preform.

Exactly this! Quit bitching and educate ourselves. The real threat to jobs is technology which is replacing and edging out many functions that even lawyers and doctors perform making the need for the professionals less. Sure we still need doctors and lawyers but the lower end busy work they perform such as drafting contract and diagnosing is being replaced. Empathy and Consulting are the parts of those crafts that will remain.

@sjoes006 I completely agree. We always worry about the wrong thing. Actual anger should be at the way Congress is always be asked to increase the amount of H1-B Visas into the country. H1-B's are for including but not limited to biotechnology, chemistry, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, law, accounting...

Seriously though, Americans are mad at someone illegally washing their dishes at Denny's but are giving away top paying specialty jobs to people that are genuinely undercutting wages for engineers? Makes no sense to me at all.

The sad truth is that if corporate America needed landscapers, fruit pickers as bad as they need low paid software engineers they'd all have instant paths to legal status.

• They took ar jerb!!