Is it stupid for the average person to buy an expensive car and why?

When you can buy a car for $15,000 or less is it a bad choice to buy cars that cost a lot more?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• While you're still working and saving for retirement? Yes. It's stupid to blow tonnes of cash on a depreciating asset.

Most Helpful Guy

• No its not stupid.

"Oh its a depreciating asset" or "they're cheap models why do you need an expensive one."

I tell you why. Some people enjoy driving, like me, I actually enjoy going between places. I'm in college now and I live around 200 miles from my parents, I still like to see them. If I'm going to drive to see them on a regular basis, why can't I spend some extra cash and get a car that has a lot of features, a decent engine, and actually rides nice? The thing about the loss of value when you buy a car is this, it doesn't matter unless you're trying to sell the car back, and if the reason you buy a car is to sell it again, then you aren't a person who will appreciate cars for what they are (that's no bad its just a difference in perspective).

"Oh but Agent, what about retirement?"

What about it. You buy things all the time. You want to go out to a movie, that's close to $50 for two hours. Go out to eat, I have spent $30 on shitty Italian food more times than that I'd like to admit. If all you're doing is saving money, whats the point of having it? I'm not trying to say that saving for retirement is stupid, far from it, but acting like saving is the only thing money can do is pretty fucking stupid.

Like like like like. Thank go someone here has some ambition!

You can do whatever you want. The question is if its a wise decision or not.

Is the time to make the extra money worth that extra pleasure you get when you drive the 200 miles.

What Girls Said 2

• Cars lose like a third of their value rolling off the lot* so you're pay extra just for it sitting in one place :/

• If you get yourself into the kind of situation where you get something that you can't possible afford, it won't end well

What Guys Said 16

• You lose a ton of value through depreciation. Insurance will be higher. Maintenance will be higher. It's not worth it.

Maintenance isn't necessarily higher. On a Mercedes to a Honda yes but from cobalt to a Malibu not so much

@shawnski That is what the Asker means - not comparing a compact sedan to a midsize one of the same brand O_o

• If you can't afford it and have to give the bank your firstborn to repay your debt , yes.
    If you can afford it and it won't be so financially crippling to keep it running you are literally thinking twice before ordering pizza , then no.

What if you can afford to make payments and live, but need to work extra years to pay it off?

Ehk. It depends. Is it a necessity as in the governor spent all the tax money on hookers and cocaine , the public transit system is literally 2 mules pulling a dingy cart?

• Depends how you see it, logically yes as you can a cheaper car (which would probably have better features) and does the same job however from social perspective buying an expensive car makes you look better and in some cases taken more seriously by peers.

• $15k around here isn't enough for a decent used car. $20k-ish will get you something that will last you way beyond the day you finishing paying. I think a new Honda Accord, Toyota Camry is in the mid 20's actually.

I bet you can get good cars way cheaper than that. Not that different from Europe.

no, no this car had some fundamental design and quality control flaws. Trust me, i've driven some unsafe cars and this one was up there. The combination of a short steering ratio, short wheel base and thin wheels made it touchy above 75mph. There's a reason a car is that cheap off the lot.

Thats only one car and it was a rental. People complain about expensive cars as well when they rent them

• For me it is. Since it's not really a passion i have.
    i just need a safe car, relieble, and economic. Confy also.

Personally i would buy an second hand car, they are cheaper.

And i would not be in debt, or being paying it each months. I prefer to just get the money and pay it once.

• My father has an expensive car and the difference is slight. Expending that amount of money for such a small difference doesn't pay off.

Thinks like the car tells you to relax if you are driving too fast, the radio having a supra bass (which sounds so deep that is uncomfortable), or the chairs made of white leather (which at the minimum scratch will look old).

Do simple.

• do you know what car insurance is?

• BUY WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANNA BUY- HODGE TWINS

• Yes. It's made very easy though - nearly predatory lending. And once you take possession of your new cars it's worth literally thousands less. Smar buyers purchase certified pre owned vehicles off short term leases and save huge $$$.

• depends on your needs and your income

• Here is a thought buy a RELIABLE CAR? spend a penny to get a decent vehicle that won't leave u stuck on the side of the road in a snowstorm? CRAZY TALK I know

• Yes, because MONEY

• Well, you get what you pay for, honestly. If I had the money to spare, I'd pay extra to get a good quality car. Not to show off, but something that won't break down constantly.

A cheaply made car for $10,000 is going to cost more in the long run than a more expensive car made with better engineering and better parts.

What makes you think a $10,000 car is cheaply made? It could cost less because it doesn't have all the extra features and the more powerful engine.

• there's no need for expensive car. A car is a car so live ur life 👌🏼

• Cars unlike homes loose their value quickly and it costs more in insure them.

But do u buy a tent for a house to save on property taxes? Or do u buy a nice house cause you plan on living there for awhile?

Ok do u do u buy a trailer then meat head

@shawnski Still don't see the comparison.

And why do people always feel the need to throw in an insult. Does your self-esteem get hurt when someone questions you?

• You should buy what you need. and then consider incremental cost on top of that.