Should an unmarried woman give her baby HER last name, as opposed to the father's?

• Yes, the child should have her last name
  • No, the child should have the father's last name

Most Helpful Guy

• I personally feel it out depends on whether or not the father is going to be around. If not, then give the kids her name. But if so, they should have his.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's traditional to give father's name but it really doesn't matter woman should do as she pleases.

What Guys Said 16

• Depends on the circumstances. If the child was born out of wedlock but the couple is together then the child should have the fathers last name.
    If however the father left the mother before the child was born then the child should have the mother's last name.

• Depends on the arrangement, a single mother usually gives child her name but if she is in long term relationship with childs father, the child gets fathers name - Some go double barrel

• If the couple is together but unmarried, the father's name should be used. If she's a single parent, it's obvious that she should use her name.

• legally its the mother's choice and so it should be but she should give the chold its father's last name so that there's a connection between the two and so the child knows who its father is. It should be the law that every child has the right to know who its father is.

• neither, because children aren't property. Each should give them a name and now you have an individual, not a "morris" or "smith" or some other shit.

equality is always the same equation (memo to feminists)
    ALL or NONE

only none makes sense in this case. think about it...

• If the parents are together and all that then give the child the father's last name. If she's a single parent then give her the mother's last name.

• I'm for giving double names. It's the only fair system. That being said, though, if we're going with one name, it should be the mother's. They give birth.

• HOW ABOUT we start making last names a combanation of the 2 halves of the parents, this way will have awesome nicknames for the lulz

• Yes. she should

• Only if the father agrees to take her last name too because he is a woman with a V-jay jay. lol

• It doesn't matter really but as long as the guy signs the birth certificate

• Either or , traditionally the fathers last name but this isn't a traditional situation.

• I don't see a problem with that.

• A woman should give her baby her father's last name, and marry the father of her child too.

• no, the child should have the father's last name

• Unless the dad is out of the picture they get equal say in how the name for the kid works. Or at least that's what we would do if we actually believed in equality.

What Girls Said 17

• I wouldn't even take my husbands surname when I marry (my surname is purely unique to my family and relatives only), so my baby would definitely have my surname if I was unmarried.

But I think the baby should take whoever's surname that they will stay with the most, and/or they can take one of the names as their middle name. My baby cousin has her dad's surname as her middle name since my uncle is keeping his own surname and his wife keeping her surname. Its become a pretty common thing to do in Sweden these days.

• If they are in a long term relationship the child should have the fathers surname.
    If she is single it should have hers.
    But to be honest why does it matter? Someone feeling angry pregnant?

• I would put the father's name since that's how it works for my family.
    I actually prefer it that way

• Yeah, I guess. Hyphenating the two is a good idea too.

• I don't think there is any should here. It's their choice together.

• If my boyfriend and I had a baby before we were married I think I would still give him his name anyways. Eventually would so.. but I guess it's up to woman if she wants to or not.

• Depends who's raising the kid. If the dad is going to be taking care if it most of the time it should have his last name. If the mother is going to be doing most of it, it should have her name.

• I'd give my child his father's nam, since he helped make them

• Yes, she should. Especially if the father doesn't care about the baby.
    I think it's fair.

• If she is single and raising the baby herself, yes she should give it her last name.

• Depends on who has custody, and if the father is involved. Why can't the child have both its parents' last names?

• Yeah because she is unmarried.
    Like if you were to get a sperm donor , you wouldn't name the baby's last name after him.

• If the child is claimed more as hers than his that yes.

• i think it should have the father's last name

• Yes, of course. My son had my last name until me and his Father got married at which point we took our 2 last names together and mashed them up for a new name for a new family which we all took.

• 1. An unmarried woman can adopt a child, so there's that.

2. There is no law against choosing your name, as that unmarried lady, over the fathers especially if in a lot of cases, that guy is a no show. Yikes.

3. People should do what they want and what is right for them. "Rules-Shmules!"

• I don't care. I took both their last names and put a hyphen between them. Personally I'd rather just have my mom's last name because my father is a pretty shitty excuse for a father.