Can tap water harden my hair?

hello. formerly my hair was soft. but since 6 months, my hair is very stiff. I can't even rinse my hair. I used hair conditioners and my shampoo contains humidifier but, I can't still get rid of hardness and dryness. can the tap water be the culprit of this problem? any suggestions?

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you live/ have you moved to a hard water area? (look that up). For example in the UK, in and around London the water tends to be nasty for your hair and skin because it's hard, but in other areas it's soft

Most Helpful Guy

• if you have "hard" water the minerals in it can make it difficult to get soap through it. if you have a well water you can add water conditioners that soften the water

What Girls Said 4

• I wouldn't say so. your best bet is to go to a salon and ask for help there

• Have you changed your diet or been drinking less water?

I eat the same foods as I ate before and I don't know maybe I drank less water. can these be the reason?

Yes. Try a sulfate and paraban free shampoo and conditioner. That might helps as well

• Yes it can.
    Do not wash you hair everyday.
    You could look into a water filter.
    Use hair masks.

• You didn't use tap water before 6 months ago?

indeed yes. but I guess maybe they could have added excessive chlorine into water.

What Guys Said 2

• depends on what's in the water. sulfates for example and hard water will have this effect... big time if both.

ah I see. do you mean chlorine by sulfate? by the way the ph level of water in my city is 12,5.

no sulfates... tends to have kind of a fishy smell if I recall. you can always get an RO (reverse osmosis) system for your bath sink to rinse your hair with afterwards... that removes everything, like bottled water

• you could try to have a water softener installed