What makes you prefer an app over a mobile website?

Hey GAGers! In general, what is the top reason that you prefer to use an app as opposed to a mobile website? Is it because you like the notifications? Does it just look better? Are apps easier to use? Give us your opinion below! Also as a reminder, the GirlsAskGuys apps for iOS and Android are now available to download! Check it out! :)

• Instant notifications on my device
  • User interface and design is better
  • I like the speed of apps/it's faster
  • Other (please describe in your Opinion)

Most Helpful Girl

• i try to avoid accumulating apps to save space

Same here, i have 8gb internal on my phone & space fills fast

Most Helpful Guy

• The app was poorly designed tbh. I understand familiarity goes into account when users log into something new, rather a needed learning curve which can be off-putting to a lot. Developing a app has to encompass intuitivity which it failed to do. Prolonging the release date as long as you guys did I would of expected much more. The fact that you guys haven't even integrated the message system into the app just shows incompetence with the ridiculous time frame that you guys had. The app comes off as very uneasy and unappealing. Much improvement is needed.

We wanted the main focus of the app to be for asking Questions and sharing Opinions, which is why private messaging was left out. Not everyone uses GAG for the same reason or uses it the same way. However, we are listening to everyone's opinions and will be continuously improving the app to make the user experience better for everyone who enjoys using GirlsAskGuys. So thanks for your feedback! :)

That's not the smartest idea to leave that out. GAG users certainly do use the website for different reasons but you should have the app enable users to use it how ever they please. You guys having ulterior motives forcing people into focusing more on questions and answers is only going to drive people away. It's like the framework of the app is setup for a specific gag user and it should be setup for all gag users. If you guys are not receiving enough live feed on the website then there are much better ways to approach the issue such as advertisement or maybe even allowing users to ask more questions. With this comes complications so you could increase your the volume of mods on this website to regulate and control the nonsensical posts. You could also have featured takes or articles produced by the website to get people's minds thinking. Something very vague sensed applicable to dating to raises more questions to be asked.

What Girls Said 47

• Ahh what a "sly" question.

What you mean is why don't you like our app.

I must admit, I haven't tried the new app but from other reviews the reason it's not a success is because an app should have all the functions of the website. Your problem is you are focusing on question and answer, which yes, that's how the site started. But it's developed.

Put it this way. Imagine you had a supermarket company. And you made an app to make home delivery shopping easier. You get the app and find out you can only by fresh fruit and veg, or the checkout doesn't work. It makes it frustrating when you don't include all features.

People use apps for convenience - whether that's speed or notifications, the app should be the whole website.

But what do I know? I'm a qualified web designer, and you guys just keep missing the nail.

• I like that they are easy to access and find the specific things I am looking for, whereas computer websites you have to type it in and many results pop up. It's more complicated then tapping on an app and having immediate coverage of what you are hoping to come across.

ex. the Victoria secret app has lots of deals and specials that notify you of sales going on, but the website is this huge black hole of every single thing they have to offer. They don't give you as much direction as the app does.

• I've never used the app, for a few reasons.
    1) I couldn't FIND it. I asked a question once about where the app was. Someone sent me a link, and I realized it wasn't available in the US. So there was an app at the time, but I simply couldn't use it.
    2) There's no need. I'm used to just bookmarking the website and accessing it when I'm on my computer.
    3) I usually ignore/stop using apps because I don't spend enough time on my phone. There are games that I'll suddenly stop using and apps that haven't been opened in months.

Because of those reasons, I prefer to use the website itself. Even when I'm at school, I'll open Safari and search for the website. Also, due to the school's WiFi system, I have to use my data to go on the site. For that reason I mainly only use GirlsAskGuys when I'm on my computer.

• In general, the layout. A lot of sites now have a mobile version but many don't.

With regards to GaG I'm sticking with the browser version as the app doesn't have the features I want. I would use the app to make it easier to message people, but we can't do that yet.

Have you thought about a messenger app for GaG?

It used to have an in built instant messenger function but they got rid of it

Hi TakeMaker,
      Thanks for your feedback! We are aware that many users want private messaging so we will take that into consideration. :)

• Convenience.

• It's a lot easier to open up an app instead of having to type it in google everytime. Also you get notifications and it often works better then the web browser on your phone

I bookmarked this site. I've tried that app there's plenty of room for improvement

It does work well its just missing somethings that would make it better like better profile accessability and messaging. checkng on followers and any past opinions and questions. for those the desktop version is much better

meh.. true.. but the app is still new so those things may be coming later

• Usually because it's faster and looks the same as the website.
    I don't use the GAG app. I don't like how it looks and doesn't at all look like the site. I can barely find anything on there. Still using the mobile site.

• Is there no access to the messaging feature from the app? If not, then there is no point to having it when I have to login to the mobile browser.

There is currently no private messaging on the app. We are aware that many regular members want messaging but the primary focus for the app is asking questions and sharing opinions. We will continue to make improvements though based on all the feedback we are receiving. :)

Thanks, I'm removing the app now. It's also easier for me to sign in on the browser on my phone since chrome saves my passwords. If the app can't do everything the site does, I don't need it.

• Dislike: apps that are basically for browsing the web because the mobile version of the website sucks too much. I already have an app for those sites: chrome browser. Not gonna install an app just to browse the content of a single website.

Like: apps that actually do something useful and games

• I actually don't when it comes to GAG or any other site or social media I have no clue why but I've just always preferred the actual site over the app... I guess because the app is different and doesn't have all the same functions.

• I hate apps.

• I didn't like the app. I like the website more.

• I don't use either. I only get on here when I'm at home on my desktop pc.

• User interface.

• Well for one thing I don't have my laptop anymore so I can't do much on a site except via my phone. And well you know how that goes..

• Notifications forsure! I'm not a fan of the mobile site. I don't like how you can't see the avatar and you can't get messages

• The layout is less cluttered and more organized with an app than on the website.

• Website design is almost always better than the app but usually I like the quickness since some pages take forever to upload on pc or phone browser

• I only use an app when i can't use my pc or a computer. A app is basically only for when i've got just my phone because most mobile variants of websites are painfully not user friendly.

• I don't...

• Saves battery life. ✌😂

• Where is the all of the above option? Apps are great plus it takes me exactly where I wanna go. If I go on the web I'd have to type in the site then probably look for my profile..

• The design is usually better and its faster.

• No Apps please, they get updated every week and crash all the time. Websites are reliable and don't crash or have adverts that get too annoyinh

• still use website

• mobile notifications make me think people care about my life

• I think I usually prefer the actual site.

• It's usually easier to find & open an app then to go to a mobile site. So, I only get apps for sites that I use on my phone on a regular basis, or perceive having it easily found on my phone to be something I will use.

• I don't like app take too much place and have too much notification is annoying

• I use GAG on my laptop... but I generally prefer apps because I can have notifications on or off at will. And my phone is in most places so checking things is easy.

• More from Girls
    17

What Guys Said 72

• Reasons I like the app (with the first two points being my answer to the original question):
    -- faster than the mobile website (my secondary reason for going on the app)
    -- less prone to errors, page crash/reloading, skips, bugs, etc. (my primary reason for the app)
    -- The user interface is decent. I like how the stuff is laid out on the bottom along with the design overall as far as functionality goes. It's streamlined in that sense. The key symbol thing in the top right is a bit confusing as to mean sorting questions and stuff, but that's minor.

Issues I have with the GAG app:
    -- As noted by many, it's obviously missing features. In particular, it's missing messaging, myTakes, and the live feed. This is the big reason why I still use the mobile site vs app. Frankly put: there is nothing that will make the app better than the mobile site (i. e. speed, reliability, etc.) until the missing features are added in. Why? The mobile site isn't absolutely wretched. It still is usable and is still therefore a better option since it has all the features.
    -- Girls/guys color scheme. This isn't as a major as the first issue, but I feel like it could be aided by more of the color scheme on here. The blue and pink help separate the guys and girls, and a simple change like question title colors to blue and pink could go a long way I feel.
    -- Profile pics on question answers. Now, I didn't really realize this before, but when I'm reading an answer from someone and figuring out who it is, I tend to see the profile pic in the little circle next to their name. This helps me speed up remembering who they were and such. It takes less mental power and therefore I believe would make the app more user friendly (and also give some resemblance to the standard GAG format). It's a minor thing but still an issue for me nonetheless.
    -- Too much white/light colors. There is WAY too many light colors on it. Not only does this create the illusion of the app being more sparse than what it is, it makes it harder to follow the layout. The light grey and white are relatively close to each other and blend too much. There needs to be more borders on things since there aren't profile photos to separate answers. On questions, the separation "what guys said" and "what girls said" is too small. Needs more borders to give a heading feel.

All in all, I feel like it has potential. I actually really want this app to succeed so I can use it instead of the mobile site. However, it has plenty of issues.

• Usually, an app will have some settings that you can set that it will retain - your login info, favorite forums, etc. The interface is usually better (less side-to-side scrolling and so forth) and can be customized to the look and feel of the OS (Material Design on Android, for example). And centralized notifications (optionally!) can be great for those who want them.

Granted, a web forum may not be the kind of app that *needs* to be a stand-alone app (it works pretty well via mobile web), but there are always plenty of small improvements you can make if you're making a native app over a "one-size-fits-all" mobile website.

• The only reason I use an app as I am now is mobility

Of course the reason for my using the GAG app is this

However there can be various reasons for using different apps.

The health apps on the iOS work best on the iPhone so I use them here.

Out here opening is something I can do but can't view various things like messages, questions from those that I follow etc

• A mobile website tends to be less prone to bugs and easier to maneuver considering that the layout is not so dissimilar to the laptop browser version to which I'm used to. The gag app I just keep receiving the notifications from but I continue on using the browser due to it having more features except for just the notifications.

• usually I like a website over an app because sometimes apps don't have access to the settings and options as well as the site. but if it's important I prefer the app due to the fact I get notifications right away instead of having to go online, log in, and check if anything came up.

• It is a combination of A and C for me. It's nice to touch one button and be where I want to be. And the notifications are always helpful in quick replies

• I don't like phone apps. On my workstation I already have my glasses on. With a smart phone, I have to stop and put them on, then take them off again to continue walking. So I don't really use phone apps.

• 1: the app has to have separate notification settings from the mobile site, cause otherwise i get the same notifications on the full website and it sucks to have notification spam on your mobile while you´re on pc, which would cause me to hate the app and never use it.

2: the UI has to be simpler but not at the cost of functionality or information. settings and options have to be intuitive or else i won´t bother with the app, cause the mobile site is quite good.

3: if the scralling in the app stutters or any load times are slower than the mobile site, i´ll not use the app.

4: i´ve noticed, that if i refresh the app, new questions appear way slower than if i were to use the mobile website. that´s basically a deal breaker for the app, cause i feel like i´m missing questions i might want to answer.

• Other.

I don't like the app more than the website, it is just what I use on the go. Don't like the app based on the amount of time it takes to write a post and limited account control.

• I voted C), but B) is also important. I kept your app for A) and for quick replies, but the fact that

1.) the app clears all state if a notification is opened

2.) if you open a notification, you can only see the questions, but not the initial question (because the upper arrow takes you directly to the feed) ; and it also folds up your own opinion which makes it hard to make replies

3.) no copy paste support?

Makes me use the website currently over the app.

• I HATE mobile apps that simply replace a website. They're one-trick ponies that eat up space on your phone.

• The apps are always way worse than the browser version. I hate how they try to push a worse version of a product on you.

• Who said I preferred mobile anything? My phone is still just used to make phone calls. It has a tiny kb that will give you cramps after typing 1 sentence so I never use it for texting. 2" screen so certainly not for playing games either unless I want a headache from squinting so hard. If I need occupied or to have internet while on the move I still just use a laptop and a backpack. It has a 2TB SSD, so apps are not needed when it has all the stuff my home PC has (minus 100k movies and other stuff since it doesn't have a hot swap bay). And even with that I don't get out much so might use it twice a year.

• I hate useless apps that just sit in my phone.

• Apps eat memory.

hack it delete apps that are pre loaded! I removed : Youtube, iTunes! You gotta know code to remove these apps as they are originally pre loaded on the iPhone!

As my friends say : Never Re distribute your work to anyone , regardless of the $$$ offered!

@IVoidWarranties

Pretty sure that's illegal. Regardless, replacing them with hacked apps still takes up storage space.

@JetBoy797 Under DMCA law , any Electronic device you purchase can be reverse engineered, or hacked.

It's 100% Legal ! 0 Fucks Given !

• I like being able to do certain things on the fly when I'm not home. Do I see myself posting questions and making replies on the go? Not often. But sometimes I'm messaging people and it really bothers me that I can't get back to them quick.

• this is a silly comparisson. some things are better suited for the web, like websites. if you make an app, its because you offer a service that doesn't work on a website. turning a website into an app adds no value to the service.

just because people here have been asking for years to get a GaG app doesn't mean actually making one is a good idea. Average Joe is not an app designer. people that dont know how something works are often not the most credible source to base ideas off of

• Apps are better because they don't lag when you load too many questions.

Also I CAN'T FREAKING SEE THE QUESTION WHILE I'M TYPING THE ANSWER!!! what if I forget what the question (s) was (were)? I'll have to cancel out everything I've typed so far just to look at it.

• people are brainwashed into thinking they need it plus most apps are only available on phones its a marketing scheme.

• normally I prefer websites over apps but mobile website I hate them when it come to mobiles apps are easier to use than mobile websites.

• notifications, performance, look and feel, features, usability...

the GAG app is missing some of those... so the only reason I have it installed for is the notifications. But if I get one, I'll just open the website lol

• Actually I don't like app version of G@G. by the way, did you noticed that sexual behaviour and sexual health topics missing in the app?

Initially, those topics were not there when we were in the testing phases and trying to launch, they have been added now though so you should see all of the same topics on the app that are available on the desktop and mobile versions. :)

• 1. I don't have to go to Safari and I don't have to type in the web address - on a phone, this is time consuming.

2. Apps are more convenient, because you can access the site at a push of a button

• apps don't suffer from the inherent touch lag that the web does... due to having to detect if you're zooming.

• Don't use the app😋

• If done well, all of the above (UI, less clutter, notifications, login remembered etc). It is just a device customised browsing experience anyway.

• i just use mobile websites. because...

• I picked Other: It depends on the app. The biggest factor is the reliability of the app in question. If it is extremely buggy and. or slows the phone down, I won't use it. This is the exact same reason why I don't play any games on my phone.

• Web sites have more features because apps need to be user friendly. It'd easier to get off the site and people get too used to the site

• Depends which one is better built and more accessible and easier to use and has more options, also I usually use mobile sites being apps suck up data and battery juice

• More from Guys
    42