How do you deal with the fear that someone will kill you or break into your house and kill you?

Mine is so bad that I dont leave the house at night.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm guessing this is related to some past emotional trauma. This isn't normal, sounds like some form of PTSD actually. I used to live in a bad area and never had this fear.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't live alone, buy a gun and learn how to use it, take a self defense class, secure all windows and doors. Purchase a home security system. Don't post personal information or photos of your house on social media,

And don't do drugs

What Guys Said 20

• Have guns, and know how to use them. Know the laws, in your area!! Do they just need to break in, to legally shoot them, or do they have to be 'threatening you' with 'a real fear of physical harm' for you to shoot them.
    If you know someone that knows how to shoot, have him/her teach you. That alone might help you relax a bit.
    Maybe consider getting your own gun, maybe a shotgun, for IN THE HOUSE! Shotguns are more effective, and you won't shoot through walls and kill your neighbor, and when you are nervous and terrified of being raped, if you just point in the general direction, with '0' (aught buck) even up to #4 buck, you are going to seriously incapacitate, or kill anyone that is attempting anything, in your house, uninvited!
    But you need to know the laws!! I some messed-up places, YOU can go to jail for killing someone that breaks into YOUR house, in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!

What if the country won't allow guns?

Where are you, that is so BACKWARDS?

Write your elected officials and ask them why they're so opposed to a woman having a fighting chance against criminals.

Also, if you live near other people, have a very loud alarm system that you can activate at will. A loud alarm in a populated area will scare off a lot of common criminals.

• Because it can happen anywhere at anytime. Someone can walk up to you as you exit your car ask you your religion and if you don't answer quickly enough, he'll behead you.

A window can fall out of a building and strike you in the head, happens more often than you probably think. You could be involved in a car accident that you should have had nothing to do with.

You could slip and fall and hit your head just the right way, slip into a coma and die in a matter of days.

Your life is always at danger whether it's night, day, home or out. Your life is constantly in danger and that's just a part of life. Don't fear death, it's simply an inevitability.

Once you face your fears, you can become a stronger person, a more confidant person. Any fear to start. Get somewhere scary high, dive into a pool, get into the car with that kid who drives fast. There is no skill more valuable to you than to learn to be calm and think decisively when you feel pressure.

Sounds really scary

Lol here we got rich peeps. Middle boring peeps and a lot of druggies

Same The town right by here Washington Township a lot of celebrities lived there and on the border between there and some other towns (still very close to me) Little Kim had a house around there. But again, Hackensack is close (not as bad as people say though) poor areas like Lodi and Garfield are kinda bad. Even Washington Township has a problem with break-ins right now.

• Voluntary commitment to a mental hospital. Delusion, paranoia, and phobia are all unhealthy, and an all-consuming, and completely irrational, combination of the three means you are deeply disturbed.

• Vigilance, I deal with it by making sure that I am aware of the potential dangers around me. But at the same time, one can't be so jumpy that they are unable to tell a threat from something else.

I'm not good at holding back in a fight. So if I am attacked, my aim will be to disable them. If I can't do that, then I'll kill them. To attack someone or to break into a persons home without a reasonable cause is to forfeit ones own well being and right to live.

Deciding things like this before hand will keep my mind clear in the event that they happen.

• First, know that violent attacks rarely happen.
    Second, be prepared guys and galls should be aware of their surroundings, know the exits, and avoid dangerous situations.
    Third, don't let fear hold you back. Take a self defense class, carry a legal weapon.

So do people really rarely get killed?

yes it happens, very very rarely, but yes it does.

• Buy a surveillance system, get ADT, and buy automatic weapons. While you're at it move to the country.

isn't the country worse? I can't stand being alone

in some ways better, others worse... and get border collies that woof the instant they sense an intruder.

• Don't really have such fear , I just lock the windows and the doors before I leave for the night. The night , if you know what you're doing , is actually safer than day time.

• I don't fear that. All I know is when someone did break in my house I was ready to fight them to the death even as a middle school kid with the flu... Maybe get impact windows, quality locks, and other security features that will make your neighbors house a lot easier target than yours...

• Easy. Arm yourself and you can protect yourself. But an effective way is to change your attitude towards the bad guys. Like those you see in movies. In horror movies, odd atmospheres are created to make you fear them. In superhero movies where villains also exist, they seem to be more acceptable, I mean, easy to deal with.
    The idea is that it's the same bad guys, and if you fear them they get stronger and more terrifying, if you be brave they will be be the ones to fear

• I pity the fool, that ever attempts to. For them it's either death by 12 GUAGE, ak47, or bow and arrow.

• Wow. Where do you live where you are consumed with this fear?

If anyone broke into my house in the dark of night they would probably break their neck falling over all my crap.

• Learn how to defend yourself with and without weapons. My parents have always had guns in the house and they made sure all of my siblings and I know how to use them safely so I'm not afraid of anyone breaking in

• You dont have to worry about anything. Most people that get killed are those who have done bad to a person (still no reason to kill) or people REALLY involved in drugs (like dealers. Consumers not really, only if they are REALLY late for a payment). Also celebrities. If you are none of those you dont have to worry. Calm down and live your life to the fullest

A woman was killed by a random guy the other day and break ins of strangers home have happened before

Well, there are always crazy people in the world. The chances of YOU getting killed are 1 in 1000000
      Its really rare for that to happen. If you live like this your whole life you will never enjoy yourself.
      Stop thinking about it. When people get killed they put it in the news, because its rare to happen. In the news they dont put: Male celebrity slept with female celebrity because it happens all the time.

i guess :/

• Keep a gun/someone else in your house owns a gun, or own a guard dog. Do you live in a bad neighborhood? Why do you have this fear?

I have a small dog and no guns. When I was a kid my parents use to watch criminal shows and I've watch i with them

I'd just learn how to defend myself. If you're not a large person, like me this could come in handy. Usually go for sensitive areas like the chest, knee caps, and nuts (If they attacker is a guy). Or just carry a self defense weapon with you. (E. g. gun, knife, pepper spray)

That's bad. There's counseling for those who were sexually abused. Even if it happened awhile ago, you can still get it.

• Get a weapon...

• Who would go out at night?

• Seek professional help. On the off chance my home is broken into, there's a.45 on my nightstand.

• Do you have any alarms at home? Or a security camera?

Nope

You should see if there's anyway you can get them. If not try getting a big dog or if anything you'll have to lock up your house as tight as possible. If it ever happens hide somewhere and call the cops if your parents aren't home.

• Trust, trust that most people are decent

• I just don't worry about it

What Girls Said 11

• Get a dog and a gun.

I don't have that fear. Do you live in a bad area?

No but when I was a kid I use to watch real criminal cases

That's a question to direct to your specific state. I know there's case law on it. McDonald v. City of Chicago for example, and there's one that took place in the District of Columbia, I think. Depends where you live and what loopholes there are.

Thank you

• ummm realize that is irrational and lock the doors and windows..

• Better security (more secure locks, also invest in security cameras) & pepper spray/taser. Even a fold up pocket knife (no butterfly knives or knives longer than 6 inches I believe. It maybe 4 I can't remember.)

• I just think of it like this: If someone breaks in and kills me, or pulls a gun on me, I won't be able to do anything about it. So there's no point in worrying because I wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway. It's like fearing having a heart attack. Sure maybe you can make sure you're not stupid with what you eat (or when you go out, where etc. in terms of your fear) but if it happens, you can't do anything about it. So being scared all the time is pointless

• I never really have that fear.. but then again I don't live in a big city where that type of crime is a problem.

• Optimism + a certain acceptance, as I refuse to be a prisoner of my life.

• I feel you... Try to not think about it that much, go watch a movie instead

• Move. Immediately.

• I hate being alone too. Drives me crazy. Move a friend in.

I live with family

• I set traps like the Home Alone kid.

• I've never had that fear. Are you some kind of little princess who can't take care of herself? Get a dog or install a home security system. I think you should also get professional help. It's not healthy and you're an adult. Grow up.