Where are humans on the food chain?

I think we can all agree that we're at the top. We have weapons and superior brain development.

But let's take away our weapons and our clothes and all other man-made things we have created to survive. Just the human, in its natural form - no houses, no guns, no knives, no spears.

Where would a completely natural human being be on the food chain?

We certainly wouldn't still be at the top. But where would we be? Pick apart the human form and compare it to those of other animals. Our strength to weight ratio. Our height to weight ratio (let's assume that "wild" humans would all be at the peak of natural fitness for a human), our bone structures, our teeth, our senses, our body's natural protection.

Where would we be? Would we be up there with apex predators like the big cats? Would we be akin to the gorillas? Would we be even with grazing herd animals? Would we be even lower?

What do you think?

A study was done on this once Link

It compared humans to other animals based on diet. Do you agree? Should they have factored in other things? If humans changed their diets do you think they'd have scored higher?

General thoughts.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to assume you actually mean where would we be without our intelligence as merely taking our tools away still leaves our ability to know or figure out how to make them in tact.

You are essentially asking the question of once we reached the fork in the road of evolution between the common ancestors of the apes and current human beings, where would we be if we didn't evolve into the superior intellect, top of the food chain version of our current human civilization?

We would still be apes. Without our intellect, a lot of the adaptive features we took on through evolution wouldn't have occurred.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I'm not sure exactly where. I mean, our teeth aren't very sharp, we don't have claws, some of us can run fast, others can't. We don't have night vision, sensitive hearing and smelling. If we had to rely on our own bodies to kill and defend ourselves, I'm sure we wouldn't last long. Our diets would mainly have to consist of plants, which isn't bad, and small animals, I suppose, like mice. Much larger animals, like cows, are much too big to rip apart with our embarrassingly small finger nails, which are prone to breaking if they get too long.
    And humans are the only species who need to cook their meat in order to digest it. I think this fact alone gives away that we certainly wouldn't be at the top, but rather closer to the bottom.

What Guys Said 18

• We would still be at the top because if you take away our tools, well just make new ones and find new ways to survive.

Our brain is the ultimate weapon.

• Assuming we would still have the brains we have, we would create weapons just like the cave men did. We are inferior to many animals in strength, etc. I believe God made us the top with the ability to stay there. Looking at the article you listed, I really think we are above an anchovy the article says we are equal to. What I'd like to know is why would anybody pay for this kind of research. Seems kind of silly and a waste of not only money, but a wastew of time.

• Yeah we have better attack and defensive tools, but there are animals that have lesser weapon tools and can take a human, it all falls down to the individual, exmp. A bear knows how to fight with his claws, if a person doesn't know how to fight with a bladed weapon or weapon used from distance, ie bow, guns etc.. he won't win, I think were all equal in terms of food chain, but depending on know how, advantage and turf one side could easily be unbalanced, exmp, a shark vs human in a boat using a harpoon gun, the human will obviously win, but a shark with a swimming human and a harpoon, the shark could win if he's quick enough and the human misses etc... Depends on the scenario, depends on who comes out on top, if humans didn't have such good weapons we wouldn't usually win

• If we were allowed to cooperate we would absolutely still be at the top. We'd just stick to large groups, everyone would pick up a stone or two and just throw them at the attacking animal as hard as possible.

But if we weren't allowed to use any objects at all, just our bodies then we wouldn't do so well.

• We may be at the top of the food chain because we have reason that allow us to build weapons that can basically shred other animals to pieces.

BUT, it doesn't make us better. We are the only ones fucking up nature, of all animals. And even other animals have much more developed survival mechanisms than us.

For example, roaches can survive nuclear radiation without any sort of damage whatsoever. Can you say the same thing about humans?

As individuals we are pretty weak. We get sunburned and could get cancer and die. We have no claws or amazing strength such as elephants. All we have is our brain power and teamwork and that's what puts us at the top. Now all we have to do is stop trying to make each other's lives worse because of religion or skin color or what have you.

• https://youtu.be/P73REgj-3UE
    This where we stand at the food chain. Still at the top.

• Take away the guns, nukes and technology and we're below lions, sharks and bears (the apex predator as you mentioned) - pretty much anything that can kill us and eat us in one sitting. Thankfully, we're smart enough to make ipods, ramon noodles and shoot a poor bastard into space... and also the guns, nukes and other cool technology.

=]]

• We'd still be at the top. Our intelligence is unmatched.

• Makes sense that we are in the middle from what I read

• physically we are not at the top. Its our mental capacity. If we were put in a ring with any animal our size the odds of us winning is slim to none. Yes, even smaller apes like chimps can kick our ass.

• The top

• Several thousand years ago we were Apex predators. Now i am not sure.

• At the top.
    How do you think neanderthals survived?

• ask harambe

• Dun know bout other betas buuuuut me? Id be at the top cuz I'm alpha assss phuuuuuuuckkkk

• Taking away weapons, even basic weapons like spears, is an unfair assessment because our advantage isn't strength, speed or sharp teeth. it's brain power. Brain power that lets us do things like make weapons. Brain power to make weapons is what puts us at the top of the food chain.

• We are at the top. We have the ability to reason and therefore surpass all others.

• Why is it ok to be like animals in some cases... but not in others?

Kill the animal inside you

What Girls Said 5

• still at the top because we have frontal lobes

• Second to top, right below Harambe.

• The top!! We have no predators

• I think we're at the top of the food chain

• I took bio and were not since we're not feasting on decomposing carcasses