When eating at a restaurant do you prefer wait staff that interacts with you a lot or just takes order and brings food?

Give detail which you like more. I get annoyed when they want to interact a lot. I'm there for the food and whoever I'm eating with, not to become besties with my server.

• Minimal interaction but still good service
  • Very interactive

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, here is how I like it... Pleasant greeting, offer specials info, ask for any drinks. Then return with drinks and ask if we are ready to order/take our order. I like the same server that took our order to also deliver it. I hate it when restaurants use the "Team effort" approach and use different people to deliver the food because they don't know what you actually ordered and may be delivering the wrong food. With in 5 mins they need to come and check on us to make sure the food is correct and ok and to see if we need anything further. Many restaurants have free drink refills, so they need to keep an eye on you to offer a refill mid way through the meal or so. Then check on you when done for desert or anything final and or the bill.

should be 2 minutes. that's long enough to have had a bite and know if there's an issue with the food.

Most Helpful Girl

• I like the sarcastic and witty ones the best. I'll leave an extra tip for sarcasm!
    Yeah I'm a sarcastic Bitch and not afraid to give it back either.

What Guys Said 19

• I don't like either option. They are people, not a kiosk, and part of their job means being a happy, helpfully, available face, with a name, if you need help, to ask if you'd like more to drink or more breadsticks, and to inquire that everything is to your liking.
    I'm sure wait staff that hover are very annoying, and you're right, I am out for food. But a monotone person who take an order, and is seen twice in the next hour, as they drop off food, and later a check, and that is it, is a person who has not done their job, and doesn't deserve a tip. I might as well just wait at the window with the order receipt and wait for my number to be called if I wanted that.

• I rarely eat at restaurants but I prefer they just get to the point regardless if I ate at a restaurant, and especially if the order will take some time to cook and be ready. The only possible exception is unless I had became a regular reoccurring customer there or something.

• The ones I hate are the ones who wait just a couple of table over and see you take a big bite then run over before you can chew it and ask how you are enjoying your meal.

• I like prompt service and availability, but I detest unrequested intrusions. Seat us. Get our orders. Deliver them. Ask if there is anything else. Refresh glasses. Watch for raised hands. Otherwise leave us alone.

Don't come over and ask are you enjoying your meal. If I'm not I'll let you know.

• Mix of both I'd say. Be chatty and talkatime but I don't want them hanging around the whole time I'm there

• I like a chatty staff , keeps my ears close to the ground to know what's going round town. Gotta stay in the know. If anything I like a nice story.

• If I'm alone I like the interaction. If I'm with someone I don't. Keep my glass filled, and check up just once or twice.

• Minimal but adequate service. It gets annoying when a server sees me with my mouth full of food and decided that is the perfect time to come over and ask me how my meal is.

• Depends on the price point of the meal. $20+ per plate then yes. Eating a burger at Red Robin? naw. Just be mindful if my water glass is empty. You asking me how my $7 burger is when my mouth is full does nothing for your tip.

• I am so with you on this - I hate small talk - In a shop, getting your haircut, getting a meal

• Just bring me my food and drinks and leave me the hell alone... Unless I'm at Hooters.

• The only thing I want to hear is "What would you like" and "Thank you, come again."

• I like to talk to the staff

• Very interactive I think its nice to get to know the people that are serving my food

• I'm afraid of restaurants, I have social anxiety.

• Interaction is very important to me. You want a tip for me, you better talk and be fun.

• Very interactive

• It's ok to check on me once or twice but not when I have food in my mouth

• Good service and interaction= good tip

depends on the type of place. chatty/very interactive doesn't always equal good service. the nicer the place, the less people generally want to be bothered

Yeah of course, I was thinking you meant a casual dinner with your friends. If I'm somewhere higher class, I don't want interaction with the waiter other than what's absolutely necessary. But checking back every now again doesn't hurt

What Girls Said 10

• I get kind of annoyed at a lot of interaction. When I go out to eat, I just want to enjoy my food and interact with my family, friends, boyfriend, or whoever I'm there with. I don't mind a little bit of friendly interaction but I don't like when they are super talkative.

• I'd vote In between A and B. But think it depends on the style of restaurant and other things. When I waitressed, I tried to read the customer before I got too relaxed. When I'm a customer, I always like to know their name and personality but don't necessarily want to hear about her parents divorce. Every minute she's hanging out could be another minute the food is sitting out somewhere getting cold.

• I don't treat servers like they're the "help." I think it's really low of people who do. Interaction is fine with me. They're working for tips, have to be on their feet all day and deal with rude fucking people without punching them in the face. If they could be anywhere else, they would. I treat them right as long as they treat me right.

lol, treating someone like the help would probably be more like being bossy towards them.. that's a whole other thing not even covered here.

• I don't think people have the energy to do that!

• I like them to be pleasant but find it annoying when they try to join in on your conversations or hang around.

• Minimal interaction for me, but still being polite.

I don't want them to ask me if I like the food every two minutes.

• I like a chatty serer.

• I like the interaction because it gives quicker service

usually actually slows things down. they spend so much time interacting with everyone it takes them forever to actually put the order through.

• I'm there with the person I want to interact with, not there to interact with strangers.

• Depends. If Im on a date I dont want to be bothered a lot by the waiter or waitress. If its just a casual dinner then I dont mind.