What are good reasons to want to have kids?

My current only reason only so that my DNA won't be wiped off the Earth after billions of years of evolution. This means my life was a failure.

Most Helpful Girl

• Having a family (a functioning one that is) is a great thing in life, it makes you happy. You have a connection with them that is different from just friends or dating partners. While its not entirely "necessary" to have a family in life its a huge added bonus. For some people it gives a meaning to their lives.

Relationships are more important than people actually realise. A great family can beat any amount of money/wealth because good relationships makes us happier than money and power.
    Its kind of like a family who has everything, money, amazing house, super successful jobs but if the family is dysfunctional they will certainly be utterly unhappy while a well functioning family with barely any money will be far far happier than the rich one, it would also beat a rich single person because loneliness will eventually reach them if they don't have any good relations. And relations by blood is always stronger than any other relations because its a connection like no other. But yeah, a good functioning family is the only reason to have kids though.

After reading this I want to just skip the next couple of years and just get married.

Most Helpful Guy

• Only if you really want to be a parent and have a family of your own to provide for and support. It takes hard work and sacrifices and is absolutely no easy task unless you were already wealthy or something and can afford a nanny for your kids or something. If it gives you meaning and fulfillment then you'll risk and go for it regardless if what the outcome will be or whatever consequences there will be.

Truth to be told no one and nothing exactly lasts forever and every single living thing can potentially be gone forever and can become extinct. It's just a false sense of security thinking that by passing on genes would mean there's still a part of you left in this world and that it would actually last forever in which it really won't as there aren't really any guarantees that it ever would. Eventually everyone will become forgotten either way, some may take much longer than others due to whatever lasting impressions of what ever major contributions or sacrifices that they had made for our current world. But even then, still.

I think that success and failure are entirely subjective and can be considered delusions. If you believe you are a failure for not successfully ever reproducing or procreating, then that's just your belief of it.

What Girls Said 2

• Plenty of reasons.
    One of them is it helps you become a better person while at the same time you work to raise a good child.

• loves of my life lol

What Guys Said 5

• Honestly, these questions about good and bad reasons to have children or not have children on GaG are pretty silly and completely missing the point. Becoming a mom or a dad is not like buying a new vacuum cleaner or going to evening school.
    Having children is not something you should decide based on rational reasons. It's something you either feel, or you don't. If you're like me and you FEEL that having children will make you incredibly happy, you don't need to list reasons. All the reasons are in your heart. If you don't feel them, it's probably better not to have children.

• The alternative is to give instructions that when you die, all of your assets are to be liquidated into cash and burned.

I may do that with a million dollars anyway as a protest against the death tax.

• That is the only real reason: prolong the species of humans.

• The men who have shunned women including reproduction have always been the most respected (until feminism)... of course most men couldn't be of that level because it was important to continue the society.

Thats not the case anymore. There's no need to continue a society where men are oppressed 2nd class citizens

• "This means my life was a failure"

No, it doesn't. You should only have kids if you want them, no need to have parents who don't really want kids only to breed generations of less-than-ideal citizens.