Anyone else have a problem with mess and organization?

I have a problem, I'm a messy person. Though I do try to be clean, I just find keeping on top of the mess to be overwhelming for me and I'm not sure why. I've been this way my whole life and it's impacting my relationships with people. I don't have people over because I'm ashamed of my mess.

If I do have them over, I often find myself scurrying around to try and do last minute cleaning so they don't think I'm an absolute slob.

I've been called a hoarder, even though I'm not a hoarder. I have no issue getting rid of things and garbage. I just simply hate cleaning, and find it overwhelming and hard to keep on top of. Most of the time I am being bugged to go places and do things by friends and never seem to get a lot of time at home. So when I do have time at home, I just want to relax.

The one thing that scares me the most is when I get into a relationship and it's time to live together. I don't want the guy hating me because I am not a super neat freak. I feel like most of the girls I know are clean freaks and they are so organized! When I do clean, I'm very meticulous and this means it takes me a long time to do simple tasks.

Even when I try, I seem to get negative feedback all the time. People act as if I am not even trying even though I'll put in hours of work. I have people tell me once I have put an hour or so of work in organizing that the room looks worse or that it hasn't changed. Even though I have actually been putting things away and cleaning. It really discourages me from cleaning because I feel like nothing I do is every good enough.

I'm not sure how to keep my room clean. It's mainly my bedroom that I have a hard time with. I have no issue cleaning dishes and stuff.

What about you guys, do you have issues keeping on top of your mess? Any tips on how to clean more effectively would be greatly appreciated!

Most Helpful Guy

• "so they don't think I'm an absolute slob" People generalise because of insecurity and to gain "gravitas" don't bother with what others thing. Focus on yourself.

It's really not that big of an issue OP, just spend 1 hour on your room, clean it up and freshen your mind, sort documents out and clothes. Dedicate the time and make room for it. :)

My problem is my mother has OCD and her big thing is cleaning. So nothing I ever do is going to be good enough for her. Also, I have a friend who is a super clean freak. She always complains about other people's homes. I really don't like that about her, but she is super sensitive and I'm not quite sure how to talk to her about it. I feel if she came to my house she would be disgusted. It's the main reason she has never been to my place. I don't need her criticizing how I keep my home, even if I do manage to clean it up and keep it clean. The negativity really takes away any motivation I have to do anything about it.

I feel you. Just be upfront about it with her say that to her face but in a non antagonistic way. Everyone is different so don't be expected to be like someone else or have to agree with what they do

What Guys Said 1

• It can be daunting if you don't clean at all or rarely clean until it becomes super messy, but spend a little time each day and slowly clean everything. I certainly don't clean everyday, but I do try to do a good clean about once a week. I try to set up a day when I know I will have extra time in my schedule

What Girls Said 0