What do YOU live for?

When you are depressed and ready to yell "fuck it" and jump off of a 50 story building onto hard cement, what is something that makes you say "not today"?
Is it a person? A pet? Is it because you have goals to fulfill?
What do YOU live for?
For me, it's the goals I want to fulfill. My life's a living hell right now, but I'm sure it'll get better once I'm older.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think about sailing. I think about waking up next to the most disarming, sexiest smile (sadly that happens no more). I think about my students. I think about the hugalanche when I return to work after being sick. I think about Bach. I think about friends. I think about walking on a sage prairie watching a herd of bison with an incredibly vibrant rainbow as a backdrop. I think about watching Venus shine brilliantly over the saguaro cactus in the Sonoran Desert. I think about watching the sunrise over that Pacific on Oahu. I think about the snow falling silently in the Hoh rainforest. I think about listening to Rachmaninof under the Josh us trees. I think about having lunch with a squirrel in the shade of the oldest living things on earth. I think about playing with my friend's granddaughter. And a lot of other things.

If I have done and seen these things, I think you can too. You're right. Adulthood is better. The air is good up here. Won't you join me?

Most Helpful Girl

• I went through some VERY bad stages of manic-depression (bipolar 1, in today's terms) when I was younger. There were days when the game between "should I keep going?" and "should I let go?" went to overtime.

I wrote this little story a few months ago on here, but, it's appropriate here. Have at it

__

Summertime, all six of us packed into that two-bedroom house, no school, no a/c, Santa Ana blowing in our faces, makin' us all tryna bumrush each other.

My brothers all played football. So daddy'd take us out to the school field, and he'd run us. And run us and run us and run us. Since I was the honorary 5th brother, I was soooo cordially "invited" too.

Anyway, that man ran THE FUCK out of us, let me tell you. One time he ran us for about 45-50 forties (40-yard dashes). For comparison's sake, 32 forties was the "boot camp" workout they gave the varsity football team, just to see who'd throw up last.
    For one of the best teams in the nation.

Anyways.

This one time I thought I'd hit the point of no return. No returns, final sale.
    Anyone else, I'da checked out a long long time before. But my father is a saint. I am daddy's girl.

My whole body hurt. Girl I learned the whole human musculature that day, one spasm of pain at a time. Oh shit, didn't even know I had a muscle there. Or there.

Shaking. Would put an epileptic to shame.

(Yes, I stayed hydrated, if your mind is going there.)

5 more.

"Get up, [redeye]." Hand out.

Fuck it, I'm getting up mah damn self. My grown-ass, nyah-nyah-I'm-almost-3-inches-taller-than-you-daddy self.

Yeah, I fell on my face. Whap! July dirt, ain't seen rain since March, may as well be concrete.

I think third time was the charm.
    May have been seventh time.

My point is.

You know how I felt?

I felt ALIVE. Fucking alive. ALIVE.

Not dead.

Nope.

Anything hurts THAT bad, girl, you're alive. Alive and (dare I say it) well.

--

This is gna be exactly the opposite of what everyone else tells you, but, fuck it. You just ran 45 emotional forties.

Lie there on the ground for a sec.

FEEL the pain.

Marinate in it.

You're alive. Alive, goddamn it.

Crying is alive. Crying is not dead.

Live it.

Break some shit. Just fix it later. If you punch a hole in the wall, learn to patch drywall. Don't be an asshole.

Find some music that agrees with you. Music heals a lot of pain, in a way nothing else can.
    Find some decent headphones.
    Drown out the world.

Stay ALIVE.

<3

That's a cool idea!

What Guys Said 17

• Even though I kind of have every reason to be depressed, I'm not. I just sort of ignore it and pretend the problems aren't there. Somehow I have largely avoided depression.

• Now, It is frustration to read intenational trade theory. I am living for trying to understand them.
    I doubt they dont want to understand what they talk for? In this situation, I try to understand their logic at least but still what the hell are they talking about.

• I'm too common to have an overly dramatic life.

• I live for god, country and family/loved ones and myself.

• honestly, being on both sides as the sad person/preventor of deed, i stop and realize, well... Earth exist with us on it to have miserable and happy people at all times. I just want to do shit i havnt done and help people realize it is all nothing in the end. so why not get something from nothing while u have the chance?

• I get those though then say to myself "Hold on, I'm not a little bitch". Then go back to living life as usual

• My goals. I want to become a firefighter and save as many people as I can before I'm gone

• I live for money

• I try to be the best I can at every aspect of life , day in and day out I try to better myself.

• Not today because falling from a 50 story building would hurt like hell.

• Can't die, there are people who need me. Bummer, really.

• I don't know hope I guess

• When I feel bad I have an habit: to decide on it right now!

• The biggest deterrent for suicide, for me, is the fact that I don't want to put my family through that

• Well I live for the things I like doing. I hike, surf, box, go out with friends, watch movies, read etc. If I didn't live i wouldn't be able to do these things would I? But most of all, girls and sex:D

• for the past 5 years i wake up everyday and think
    damn it
    even think of putting a bullet in my head

Same here, what keeps you alive.

That was inspirational. 😭

its good to inspire people :p

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 12

• Music is honestly the only thing that's kept me alive. It's the lyric and the people behind the music that keep me going.

Case in point, Fall Out Boy, my favorite band. Three-fourths of the band was suicidal at one point or another: Pete, the bassist and lyricist, has bipolar 1, and attempted suicide at 26, Patrick, the singer, didn't think he was going to make it to 21, and the drummer, Andy, wanted to kill himself in 2009, during Fall Out Boy's hiatus. The fact that they're all still here and talk about how much happier they are actually makes me feel like it will eventually get better.

Considering the lyricist has to deal with depression, a lot of the songs are darker, especially off of From Under the Cork Tree, which was the album released after his suicide attempt, and I like that. It makes me feel less alone, and like someone else understands my problems.

• My family, my friends, my pup. <3 Those are the things that keep me going, even though I don't want to at times.

• I last for my boyfriend. But honestly if he wasn't around... I probably wouldn't be for much longer.

• I live for God
    I live for my Parents
    I live for my Family and loved ones

• I think it'd be dumb to kms when I haven't even finished brain development. Also, my mom would murder me if I killed myself.

well that just means your emotions are stronger, not your self confidence. nothing wrong with kms thoughts, just means there is a problem that u react to

@NerdyBlackSheep It means my decision making skills aren't as good as they could be.

but the best they are now. would u rather be able to feel or anylize. my favorite movie is ex machina. very good lesson

• My almos four year old daughter is my whole world. ❤️

• It's my faith actually/ religion

• Hell no. That doesn't come to my mind that's crazy as hell.

• Nobody...

• memories of my dad and knowing that he's watching over me from Heaven

• I live for God

• For my niece