Is there anything that's common/customary where you grew up, but that you still always found impossibly weird?

For instance, I could never understand -- and still don't really understand -- the whole notion of putting cereal in milk.
Number one, that's a seriously messed-up combination of tastes. Number two, it INSTANTLY destroys the crunchy texture of the cereal. Number three... Cold milk in a bowl, with a spoon? Really?

Most Helpful Guy

• Adults in the U. S. telling me when I was a kid that there are starving kids in the world to try to coax me into finishing all my food.

I was always confused by the logic. It also felt like they were trying to make me become fat because I had much smaller portions in Japan.

I kept thinking, "Can you just send my leftovers to those kids? Why are you serving me such big portions if there are starving kids out there?"

I suppose the idea is that I'm supposed to appreciate and eat beyond a point of satisfaction since there are kids out there far less fortunate, but it never quite clicked to me.

"I kept thinking, 'Can you just send my leftovers to those kids?' "

HAHA YESSSSSSS I THOUGHT THE SAME THING... although I was fortunate enough to have heard this drivel only on television sitcoms (which specifically *made fun* of parents for saying such shyt). I've never heard anyone actually say this to a kid in real life, unless they were obviously just poking fun at the overly-stingy-grandmother stereotype.

I'm same. I see bacon put on a pedestal like the most amazing food on the earth, but maybe that experience in particular made me kind of feel allergic to it. I don't absolutely loathe it but the idea of eating more than a teeny bit makes me relive that memory again and again.

OMG! I hate bacon!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• I find it odd that babies get baptised in atheist families, especially in Sweden which is one of the most atheist countries in the world. I really can't seem to understand why they do it. Then they tell people they are baptised but then say they don't believe in God. Wot?
    Or atheist marriages for instance, why do you have a priest? Why is Christianity involved in this process? Lol it's just odd to me.

What kind of church are they baptized in?

I don't know much about Sweden, but I know a little more about Finland (I have a couple of good friends from there).
      In Finland, the VAST majority of people are nominally members of the Finnish Lutheran church... even though, as my friend told me, "a person visits church four times in his/her life: When baptized, when confirmed, when married, when dead." 😂😂

What's even weirder about this is that Finns actually pay a "church tax" to be members of the church! It's actually a few hundred euro a year, if I remember right -- quite a bit, for something you're not a part of in spirit at all.

She didn't have a great explanation... Maybe it's just a litmus test for "legitimacy in the eyes of society". Kinda like you basically have to be married if you want to be a politician in the US.

I dunno.

This site is trying to recruit Finns AWAY from the church:
      http://www.eroakirkosta.fi/

@finnishbeautygirl @lumos you know anything about this?

Yeah Sweden is 86% something Lutheran I think despite only 2% being actual practicing Christians... 😅😂 And majority of the non practicing lutherans don't even believe in god... Its just strange.
      I've heard of that term before when I lived in Finland too ahaha I think its probably about the same in Sweden

What Guys Said 30

• For food, it's not as popular now, but when I grew up fried chicken was popular. I always thought it was disgusting. Also, chili on spaghetti is disgusting, but it's fairly popular here.

Some things I don't find weird myself, but people from other places think it's strange: Talking. Yes, talking. We can stand or sit around talking for hours. Even with complete strangers we meet in line at the grocery store we can talk for an hour.

Related to that, is hanging out talking with a friend who works at a convenience store, or someplace similar. It's not as common as it used to be, but still happens a lot. You could go into almost any convenience store and there would be someone there just hanging out for hours and hours, like the entire shift sometimes.

Bar B Ques and outdoor grilling. That's not just popular where I live, but many other places. I just don't get it. Why go to all the work and expense, with smoke in your eyes, flies buzzing around, when you could just turn on the stove?

Not being allowed to swim. When I lived in California, they would barely believe me when I said we weren't allowed to swim most places outdoors around here. Most lakes and rivers don't allow swimming except in a few designated areas. We always did it anyway, and sometimes got busted by the cops, and maybe fined.

Honking the car horn. Where I live people almost never do it. I don't even know where the horn is in my car. Other places they honk all the time. Why? I think it's really strange.

Do you live in Cincinnati? It sounds like you're describing Skyline chili.

__

You don't like fried chicken?
      images4.fanpop.com/.../...its-23990472-333-168.gif

__

If you live in a neighborhood with enough old people, there'll definitely be at least a couple of folks who are perfectly willing -- and able -- to sit down and talk with you for as longggggg as you want. (:

That's a pretty darn trivial thing to know. If you are from So Cal it's pure coincidence that you've heard of it. :)

I thought of another one. This isn't regional though, it's pretty much worldwide. I don't understand why people try so hard to get out of the rain. If it starts raining I'll just keep doing whatever I was doing (unless I'm using tools which will rust). But people don't rust or melt unless the are the Wicked Witch of the West. Everyone goes running at the first sign of rain. I don't get it.

I speak for myself, but I wear lots of stuff (especially shoes, purses, and leather jackets) that would be at least somewhat damaged -- permanently -- by rain. Rain also fucks my hair.

And if I'm NOT carrying a purse, then that probably means I have my phone literally in my hand, so... yeah, don't want to have to pay almost $1k for a new iphone and/or Note (yes, I'm often carrying two smartphones) at non-subsidized price.

__

Otherwise, I'm theoretically with you here. I have no problem going out and doing my outdoor stair workouts in pouring rain (although I'd rather be doing them in 100+ degree heat -- yes serious).

• So at a busy Mcdonalds in the UK - we form one queue that is 100 people long instead of 10 queues 10 people long

This is better, actually, since it ensures that there are no "lucky" and "unlucky" lines.

Get stuck behind a coach ordering for a 28-kid baseball team just once and you'll appreciate this system...

• lol... that's a good point. cereal doesn't seem like a good breakfast either... and it was invented for that reason (or so I hear).

how about putting enough artificial pancake syrup in the plate to mamke the pancakes float. e. g. eating a ton of sugar which is primarily super sweet corn syrp designed to look like maple syrup. blech!

Yuck! 😝

so for desk workers (which I used to be and am not now), a steak and salad in the morning and rice pilaf in the evening be better to keep the mind working? I know when I would eat carbs in the morning (unless it was like oatmeal) I'd be sluggish pretty quickly.

Yeah.

Nothing wrong with fasting, either, if you aren't actually hungry when you wake up (fasting should be easier upon waking up than any other time... and it's good for yr blood-sugar regulation, too).

Not just yr mind -- it's also good for yr body. People who eat the majority of their carbs at dinner are significantly less likely to be overweight, and are at significantly lower risk for NIDDM (type 2 diabetes).

• But milk and cereal is delicious! 😱
    I find that the tastes compliment each other and that it doesn't become super soggy if you eat it relatively fast and start at the bottom of the bowl. I actually used to eat cereal only plain when I was younger to be a rebel or some silly reason like that. However, I one day tried it with milk and realized it tasted a lot better to me lol. It didn't taste super dry either.

One thing I don't understand is the social taboo of sitting next to a stranger on a public bench, seat, or whatever. Like I'll be the first at a bus stop, so I'll sit down at the bench. I'll take up only a small portion of it-- plenty of room for even the largest fellow. Then, more people will come to the bus stop, but they'll instead all stand around like I claimed this bench as my own. It's a public bench. I don't mind sharing 😅

This happens in generally any seating situation. There is like some unspoken rule where you have to avoid people if at all possible. There'll be open seats on the bus, but it just means you have to share the area with someone... Yet some would rather stand.

LOL... excessive personal space. That's a thing with country people basically everywhere in the world -- but Americans are pretty much all "country people", except MAYBE people in NYC, some parts of LA, and some parts of Boston.
      You would not have this issue with benches in NYC... and ESPECIALLY not in any large international city. In densely populated enough places, people will grab those damn seats if they're lucky enough to actually get them.

"it doesn't become super soggy if you eat it relatively fast and start at the bottom of the bowl."
      ^^ If you need a counterintuitive method of eating something just to make it work, doesn't that suggest that something is wrong with it? XD

I really, really, REALLY like extremely *FRESH* foods. With the texture, the crunch, the whole 823 centimeters.

Dressing fucks the taste for me, but that's a personal opinion.
      But, it's *objectively true* that dressing fucks the crunch/freshness factor, at least a little bit. (In the same way milk fucks cereal's crunch factor... just to a lesser extent. Or at least at a much slower rate.)

What about croutons then? My dad hates them ("adding crunch to already crunch food and it ruins it" etc etc.) but I love em.

• Let me just pointing out that it's very weird to put cereals in milk.
    No one should put the milk, and then the cereals.
    First the cereals, and only then you cover them with milk.

• Adding butter to the water you boil potatos in. My mom does it, i dont know if other people do that too.

Every little town here has a different dialect i live in a town of 1000 people and if you drive 5 minutes in either direction there's a town with a different dialect.

Every town, like literally all towns here have a church in the center of them.

Acquaintances casually touching you and hug you, i dont know i find it a bit weird but people dont mean it badly.

If you dont speak the dialect you are automatically an outsider lol. People know where you are from according to you dialect.

Every major city here has a different slang word for friend lol thats weird to me.

These are just a couple i know from the top if my head.

Ah, yeah, British accents were like that once. The original Cockney accent was said to only exist within earshot of the bells of some church.
      Don't think it's quite so regionalized anymore, but, there are still a lot of distinct accents.

Same thing in the American Southeast ("the South"). Every new town and/or 30-40 miles, slightly different accent and vocabulary.
      (By contrast, basically ALL of the US west of the Rockies has basically the same accent.)

Not too many different words for friend here, but, in the '90's, almost every town had its own word for marijuana.

@redeyemindtricks yeah they have a lot of words for all sorts of all sorts of drugs here too.

• Piggybacking of off your example:

I don't understand humans and dairy consumption. Like, I get that it *can* be a part of a healthy diet (assuming people are drinking grass fed dairy that's not pumped full of drugs and shit), but from a conceptual standpoint, it makes no sense to me. We're the only species that drinks the milk of other animals. That is strange when you really think about it.

Nahhhh
      Plenty of animals will pretty much indiscriminately drink the milk of all and sundry. A lot of 'em will even nurse cross-species just like one of mama's own babies, if the need is needy enough:
      www.nbcnews.com/.../

The difference -- as in basically every example of unique human behavior -- is our BRAINS.
      Dude!
      Other species haven't even figured out crude stone tools yet. You think they're gna figure out that you can actually milk lactating animals by imitating suckling? (And if they did... where would they store the milk?)

• Many moons ago I used to eat cereal both dry and with milk. Both different and both good to me😛 haha

I don't like paying extraordinary amounts of cash on a commodity i. e. coffee! I do respect it that a company can get millions maybe even billions of people to pay $5 for coffee lol.

Marketing is a hell of a science these days. I'm *fascinated* by it -- I quite literally read the marketing-research-related articles in business journals for fun (and edification).

Dude, when I had my youngest son, CVS literally figured out I was pregnant before *I* knew I was pregnant (as evidenced by the coupons they started sending me). Dat some scary shizz.

• Forced to love your family or elders when they happen to not like you or genuinely love you

Saying bless you when you sneeze

Something common could be being told you need jesus boy but responding with its not necessarily for my life

Yeah, dysfunctional families and "problem" family members... ughhh
      We're fortunate enough not to really have those. (I think a couple of my father's relatives in México and Colombia are real pieces of work, but... they live in other countries. My husband was a foundling -- his biological mother just left him at the Dade sheriff's dept he was born -- so, his small "family" consists of those once-foster family members who WANT to be in his life, and whom he wants in his -- and our kids' -- lives, too. Good people... the assholes self-selected themselves out of his life, lmao.)

I've seen how just ONE bad family member can drag an entire family down, *if* people aren't willing to cut the rope after enough chances. Gotta cut yr losses at some point.

Wow that must affect him or at least show him your family can always be loving.

I think it's hard for people to cut ropes because of their circumstances like financial independence

• I always hated common courtesy phrases.
    Nobody cares, nobody means them, we all just say it because that is what our parents taught us.
    And I kind of don't care so I don't bother to say anything unless I mean it.

These things make a VERY real difference in quality of life, and in helping people feel less alienated from one another overall.

• As a New Englander, I don't understand why lobster is so popular

• i have the same problem with milk and cereal i never mix them, i always eat cereal without anything. and drink milk in a glass.

• Boy. You sure don't like your milk huh.
    Style wise - people wearing trainers with work suits/dresses. ***facepalm***!!! Why ruin something that looks professional and classy?

Are you seeing these people OUTSIDE? And are they female?

Because lots and lots and lots and LOTS of women -- including pretty much every woman, ever, who commutes to work on public transit -- will do her commute in "comfortable" shoes (and/or shoes that it's ok if they get dirty with bad weather), and will then just change into her work heels... at work.

I'm guessing "Audreeeeey!" is heard a lot around your house then 😉

• Yes... I can't think of any now that you've asked. I frequently go to myself "I JUST don't get it, and I'm OK with that."

haha cold recall... yeah, I suck at that too. There are probably more culturally weighty examples, but cereal/milk was what prompted the question.

I guess it's just what you're use to. My friends in college once brought me to "Rosco's Chicken 'n Waffles." At first I thought 🤔😶🙄 then I actually ate it. I'm going now of 😈👊🏽🙌🏽🍽🍴

Oh, I think mine is mostly of sayings of things like "there's more than one way to skin a cat." I ask people that said the idoms of "why would you want to skin a cat?"

Haha yeah... phrases outliving their etymology.

How many of today's kiddies know why radio buttons on the internet are called "radio buttons"? (You do, right? You're JUST old enough that those should have still been common when you were little.)

• Here in Australia, when you are invited to a BBQ, the default subtext is that you need to bring your own meat and beer.

Bringing a drink, I understand, but BYO meat? Why? Argh!

• I never had a sweet tooth so people going mad for chocolate and candy completely passed me by.

American chocolates/candies are WAY TOO MUCH for me. I like sweets from other countries, which tend to be a little bland by American standards.

Apropos of nothing... Your country has Diet Club Orange, which is absolutely the best drink ever created. I'm fairly convinced it is the literal nectar of the gods.

Not a big soda drinker either but I will take your word for the Diet Club Orange being nice

• some customs specially marriage in my country are crazy
    like the bride jumping on a fresh fish for good luck

Hah that's funny. Do a lot of women slip and fall?

Lmao yeah I heard about this one!
      Are you from Sfax? Because I thought they only did it there? I've never seen it being done in Tunis. :p

they do it everywhere now I m from mahdia not far from Sfax but this custom is actually from binzerte

• People drink coffee and caffeine to wake up yet I'm always more focused and alert without it

• I looooove milk and cereal :P

I don't get the whole starbucks and coffee bullshit

• The phrase " y'all be careful " or " fixing too "

I'm from Tennessee so a lot of the redndck ways are weird

• Whenever my family would go to a relative's house, we'd always go in the backyard instead of the front door.

Hahaha 😂😂😂 I have friends who live in Michigan and northern Ohio and they do EXACTLY the same thing! So weird... I wonder if this is actually a regional thing, and more than just a coincidence?

My dad says it's an Italian thing, but I doubt that.

Yeah, I don't think so. The Italians I know in places like Providence, and out here too, don't do that.

I mean... I'm even talking about doing that when it means walking around the house on some narrow-ass muddy pathway that's overgrown with weeds. (: So weird

• eating animals

• Saying 'you're welcome' when someone says thank you.

LOL it's good to have an "automatic" response, just to prevent random awkwardness in everyday interactions.

But it's like acknowledging that someone acknowledged something that you did. Is it reeeeeaaaaaallllllly necessary?

Well, I mean... "Thank you" IN PASSING -- like, when someone has just done a random nice thing for someone (like, say, holding a door), and not as part of a larger conversation or interaction -- isn't generally acknowledged with "you're welcome".
      Those kinds of thank-yous are acknowledged with a nod of the head, or with some eye contact and a smile, or with some other nonverbal sort of affirmation.

"You're welcome" is generally reserved for situations where you're *expected* to say something or continue the interaction. So, in that sense it's a useful thing to have.

On the internet, "you're welcome" also serves the purpose of letting the other person know that a thank-you was actually seen and received... and in this sense, more often than not, it also signals an END to that particular conversation.

• I don't know but we always try and solve everything in UK with tea and sympathy.

... and ironic humor? sry, humoUr?

Also, why don't you guys write "perimetre"? Lol.

It is a phrase yes. Normally it sarcasm aimed at people who inadequately try and solve someone's problem. You say is that all you can offer them 'tea and sympathy'. It is typical of us to make a cup of tea before sitting down to sort out a problem.

Gotcha. Tx for the explanation

• Greeting people

• Saying sorry when people die

• I have never heard anyone out it that way.

• lol this is beyond hilarious

• I haven't got time to read such a long post

• Girls having like 0% hair or people having no tolerance for girls with hair

Oh you mean *body* hair lol. (I thought of Amber Rose when I first saw this.)

I mean... I don't really give two flying shits what other people think, I shave because I enjoy the extra sensitivity (pubic area) and the *lovely* way clothes feel against freshly shaved legs, in addition to the look itself (legs).

It's interesting -- and surprising -- to see this comment from a man. Has a woman you love been negatively affected by this?

No not really, it was a thought I had growing up in school days. I always thought it was strange how much boys used to be opposed to it and in turn girls seeming disgusted or "disgusting" at the thought of having any more than the top of their heads. Personally growing pubes was an awesome experience it meant I grew up and my body was in a somewhat working order. Lastly after seeing women with pits and pubes on porn when I was younger, my idea was cemented, it's really the furthest thing from a big deal and both looks can be equally sexy (and disturbing i suppose). I think in a world full of problems, this is one less that we need.

What Girls Said 21

• I don't understand why people always take their meals three times a day with rice, with white rice being the most commonly eaten variant. It's a staple food here in the Philippines but the custom has gone overboard with instances like these:

1. A "rice-free" meal would be considered unhealthy and not worth eating:
    · "Oh, eat rice or you'll get sick, mind you."

2. People who cut rice off their diet are easily judged:
    · "No rice? Are you on a diet?"
    · "Hey, eat rice and don't take your eating plan too seriously; even a half cup of it would do fine. Otherwise, you'll starve yourself."

I don't simply get it.

• I don't understand why every girl here is obsessed with getting married since the age of 5, and I'm becoming like them ugh T_T

Fairy tales.

ahah yeah, I was always VERY skeptical of marriage and long-term commitment myself... but then I met *that* man.

Haha I always told myself I would never be desperate for marriage like my cousins/friends but it's rubbing off on me way faser than I thought it would T_T

• For me, it was why we all were made to pray before we ate Thanksgiving dinner at my grandma's house.

None of those people fucking went to church. Lol.

Or the Catholics who only go to mass on Christmas and Easter

yeah... smh. I wasn't kidding about my response I described in that thread

• I am from the US and the English language can be really pretty but it is so fucked up. I feel so bad for people who have to learn English as a second (or third etc) language. Words like "neighbor" "ghost" "know" and then there are the words that should rhyme but don't rhyme like "aid" and "plaid", "anger" and "danger", "beard" and "heard" and the list goes on and on!

"It's rough to plough through, though," she coughed.

@redeyemindtricks Love the example!

• Something about getting married and pregnant in your 20!!! I AM LIKE SERIOUSLY? i haven't even started living yet?

• I could probably think of something but your whole cereal milk thing just through me off. I love cereal and milk. Lol.

• I've never understood why people choose to make something as unhealthy as possible when they could easily make something healthy.

Working in the restaurant industry, I get this all the time. Everyone makes fun of me for eating healthy and they'll coat the vegetables in butter, sautée fish with a ton of oil, add a bunch of butter to potatoes.

I understand it a bit in restaurants, but I know a lot of people have those habits at home too. It just makes no sense to me.

I get teased at for not drinking or eating fast food or sweets.

Yeah I get that.. I have an addiction to peanut butter (seriously, I don't keep it in the house lol). But it's not a few people. It's a lot. They just don't understand the idea of eating healthy

Eh. Not everyone has the same priorities as I do, and I accept that.

For instance, I obviously care about my *current* health and appearance, but I don't much give a shit about longevity. So, if "something takes N years off my life", I kinda don't care. (Those are the years at the END! The wrinkly, going-downhill, osteoporosis, colostomy-bag years... You can have those years, I don't really want 'em.)
      In more or less exactly the same way as health matters less than culinary satisfaction to those people.

• *Eats dry cereal as she reads the question.* :P Haha, that being said, I do like some cereal with milk.

I'm not sure what else I can think of at the moment, though.

• People love dancing, singing and partying here and they like it so much that we have parties almost everyday.
    Also, if one acquaintance meets another in the public transport, one of them pays for both, it is perceived as sign of respect. Next time second one pays and so on.
    Though it seems to be changed soon cause modern generation (me included) avoid doing so cause it is super weird in my eyes.

Hmm... I don't understand how the public-transit thing would work. Don't you have some sort of card that you have to swipe individually, and/or tokens you have to deposit to get through the gate?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different kind of public transit -- or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you wrote -- but, on a modern subway system, what you're describing *seems* impossible.

That's why I think it is weird. Though here you can still pay by cash in some transports.

lol yeah.

you can always use cash for the systems I've ridden on, but you still have to put the cash into a machine at the front of the station and get the same kind of tickets that everyone else has.

• Country music and redneck phrases and all that Okie stuff. I'm white but not that type of white person. I'm an urban white. So when someone talks about any of that, I can't relate to it.

• Drinking fermented fruit to get drunk. I hate the taste and smell of wine so much, it smells rotten and sour. Obviously tons of people love it, but I find it repulsive and bizarre.

ahah yeah... I'm with you. Lifelong non-drinker here (not for any religious or moral reasons -- I just... don't want to ahah. In fact, I love to party, and most of my friends are pretty big drinkers.)

But, let's face it, alcohol is a big part of the human social experience just about everywhere.

Even *animals* drink fermented fruit to get drunk! There are other jungle primate species that specifically drink for the purpose of getting wasted, too.

I very much dislike beer, especially the smell.

Oh god I can't stand wine either. Every man I know assumes because I'm female I drink wine. Not! Some ladies prefer beer and spirits. ;)

• Soggy ain't nice.. If I wanted soggy cereal I could of just had a bowl of oats 😒

• nope, I don't think so.
    I do remember finding it really weird that people added chocolate/ glaze or I don't know what it's called on strawberries : D

Haha yeah, I never understood chocolate-covered fruit either. Gross!

My local Trader Joe's even has chocolate-covered *sunflower seeds* now. Talk about weird ahah

lol I actually don't find them weird anymore. It was just when I was first exposed to it.

• Wrapping Christmas presents when all you're gonna do is tear it apart. I see the novelty in it, sure, but if you really think about it, it's kinda weird.

Fair enough, yeah.

I also thought it was weird that anyone ever cared about doing presents ON Dec. 25 itself. (We had Christmas a few days late in some years, mostly for money reasons...
      no one complained)

• Nothing that I can think of atm.

• Yes I always found it weird how men in my town would ask me if I could see if they had a rash on the head of their cocks! Was that strange or what?

• Hahaha that is a weird thing to be weirded out by.

• I'd say it's the calendar thing.

Also Columbus day.

Why we have new years on December 31st as opposed to the solstice.

Oh, hm.

Well, New Year's will always be... the first day of the year, lol.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that New Year's was SUPPOSED to be associated with the winter solstice, but that mb the calendar shifted a few days before they got the whole leap-year thing down?
      Interesting question tho. Dunno, I'll have to look it up.

• coffee in the morning. It makes me feel like I'll drop.

like it makes you sleepy?

that's not uncommon, actually. Here's a 1990 article:
      www.chicagoreader.com/.../Content?oid=875717

I mean, some stress over a short period of time isn't going to cause mitral-valve defects, unless you already have serious latent issues there.

Yes, stress can raise blood pressure.

Well thanks I'm looking into this more!

• Eating snails. And intestines

Intestines/hearts/livers/brains ("organ meats") provide a highly concentrated source of vitamins and minerals, when fruits and vegetables aren't available.

For some Arctic people -- who live so far north that there are no plants at all where they live -- these kinds of things are the ONLY good sources of vitamins and minerals.

• I agree with you, I don't put milk in my cereal either. Crunchy is better than soggy.