Why are people so surprised that I smoke?

What kind of person would you usually expect to be a smoker? I don't tell everyone I smoke since I see no reason to, but everyone reacts in shock when they see me pull out a ciggy. Why could this be?

3mo No it's people who are smokers themselves who are surprised I smoke. If you're not going to answer my question and instead write a nagging, judgmental response telling me it's 'bad for me' then it's better not to write anything at all

Most Helpful Guy

• Are these people that know you? They probably just assume you don't/didn't and/or you don't seem like the "type". If it's people that know you and have never seen you smoke then it's understandable. I was well into my teens or 20's before I learned that my mom had smoke at one time, I was totally shocked and still am a little to this day as I had always assumed she had never even though she had never told me that. Sometime people just make assumption about people or draw up their own conclusions.

Most Helpful Girl

• The only people I picture as smokers are older folks and, to a much lesser extent, some of the non-straightedge folks in the alt scene (Warped tour has this little huddle of people who smoke and it's kinda hilarious because they just bum smokes off of each other but don't bother anyone else)

I assume that you're probably pretty mainstream-looking and younger, so most people don't assume that you smoke.

What Guys Said 8

• Smoking is socially taboo now, especially for women. So if you're one of those people who looks like she always fits in with the crowd, it's going to surprise people when they find out.

• Because they are disappointed in you. No one wants to see someone that they like or care about smoking.

• It's bad for you and considered taboo in the US. It would surprise me if any young people, especially women smoke. I figure the ones that want to will just smoke pot.

• Because it's so bad for you and they probably assumed you were smarter than to do that to yourself.
    Your body will happen

• There are toxins in the air, pollution, heavy metals in our foods, chemicals in the water and at almost every turn in today's life, something is being detoxed from our bodies that should not be in there.

To smoke on top of all that is simply foolish so maybe they assumed you would have more sense so are surprised when you pull out a cigarette.

• They're probably surprised you would put your body at risk for the healthy problems.

• i used to be a chain smoker, but im glad i quit that bad habit in 2014.

• You probably look smarter than that

What Girls Said 4

• I see smoking as a bad thing.
    So usually when I am with someone that is well behaved, sweet and so on, I do get surprised or would get surprised if they reveal that they smoke.

• 0|0
  • They probably are in disbelief that you'd be doing something damaging like that to yourself.

• You probably just don't look like a smoker. People get surprised when I tell em i love listening to rap cause I don't look like the type that would so it's the same thing in your situation except with smoking lol.