Why did I used to get tease at school for being a lefty?

I used to be teased for that in both grade and middle school.

Some days I would be called a freak or asked (right after class ended) "when are you gonna learn to use the other hand like everyone"?

I'm been training my right hand for 4 years now. It's good by now but I'm still more comfortable with the left.

3mo Neither of my parents are lefties though.

Most Helpful Guy

• 10% of the population is left handed. You're no freak. But people look for things that make you different so that they can collectively tease you. It doesn't matter what the thing is or even if it's bad or not. They just need an excuse to tease. Anyone can be teased because we're all weird in some way, but those with the most visible differences generally get it the most for obvious reasons.

Thank you and yes there are very few of us lefties. It's kind of strange because neither of my parents are lefties.

"Handedness" seems to be influenced by a variety of factors, not just what the parents are. Scientists are still trying to figure it out.

Most Helpful Girl

• Cause kids are cruel, boom!

What Guys Said 2

• Don't listen to fucking idiots who shit on people to feel better. You should have taken you left hand and showed them your left middle finger.

• They are just idiots. We teased lefties too but only as long as they found it funny too. It's the same with jokes about blond women, a guy with long eye lashes, ...
    Beeing left handed is pretty normal, so you will not be left over (no pun intended ;) )

What Girls Said 3

• I'm a leftie, and I never got any sort of shit about it.
    People are stupid and like to shame others that are different, try not to take it personally :)

• I was always lead to believe that the really brainy/skilled people are left handed.
    Naturally of course, I have no idea at all how true this is.

• because you were different. They obviously thought left handed people were weird.

True. Though I used to be sad at the time that I hardly had any friends back then. For the longest, I used to believe I was a freak.

That's usual to feel that way. I'm ambidextrous so I get a lot of bullying because I'm the odd kid out who can do everything with both hands. Its freaky sometimes.