Have you ever felt like you were nothing?

I feel like I'm nothing.

I graduated Business school and so many people ended up doing accounting, taking courses like tax, auditing etc. which are not easy.

I didn't. I went general. And while my grades were good before, they weren't anymore. I feel miserable. Like I am less or something. I don't know how to explain it to anyone.

Most Helpful Guy

• The worse thing you can do is to compare yourself with others, that's a good recipe if you want to make yourself miserable.

You've to ask yourself just 1 question, whether you would like to continue in your field and specialize in something or not? If the answer is 'No' then you shouldn't bother with comparing yourself to others.

Now if the answer to it is 'Yes' then you should start to specialize in order to be on the same ranks as the others are.

Personally I would recommend that you should specialize. Unless you don't want to of course.

I am in Business Administration myself, I've recently passed my entrance exam for Bachelors in Global Business Management so I would be undertaking it next year.

The reason for me was the same as yours, although I did not feel that miserable as you do, to me it was quite clear that I can do more or capable of doing administrative things, which my company also has hinted on, since I've been working in the company for the past 2 and half years, I realized that it's time to move to a better future.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is exactly why you cannot turn to the world to validate you and love you. This world will chew you up and spit you back out. Trying to live up to this world's standards will leave you feeling hopeless and inadequate. True love and self-acceptance begins within by turning to God.

What Guys Said 2

• Maybe business isn't for you. These are normal feelings, and they drive us to achieve so we feel like we are something. To the world, and the universe we may be nothing, but to ourselves the world and us is everything.

Tried to get philosophical. Dunno if that made any sense.

It didn't.

I was intelligent at University. I just never understood how to stop comparing myself to others. This comparison made me go mad.

It's totally possible to take some of the Accounting courses and get into the profession. You don't need good grades to do that.

But the fact that someone might have taken a tax course and got an A while I might end up with a B... that's enough to drive me mad.

It's not a capability thing. It's fear. Fear that someone else might be better. And believe it or not even if I was better that fear actually prevents me from doing well

I don't know how smart you are or are not. Maybe you're really smart academically, but not street smart. Maybe the opposite is true. I don't know, and no test that's currently administered to the public will tell you (IQ tests are notoriously lacking).

If people were putting you down a lot of that was probably jealousy and stress.

I think you're too caught up in how intelligent you are or are not. Like I said before, past a certain point it really doesn't matter. And you'll never truly know. Everybody believes they are more intelligent then other people may percieve them. But at the same time, everybody (or most people) doubt that intelligence. Are we correct in doubting ourselves? Who knows. Maybe the people percieved as being the smartest aren't the smartest and are just more confident. Maybe how confident you are in your intellectual ability affects it to a degree. These are tough questions, that I certainly don't know the answer to.

I'll add this. I once took a personality/aptitude test sort of thing. That test basically tested how you think. It was very interesting. I was not top in every category as I had hoped (darn) and found out I can see details very well but not the big picture, so since then I've tried to see the big picture. That was the closest I've come to having my intelligence tested. I did memory exercises, defined words, and was tested on how I see the world in general. I know I am intelligent, but I have no idea how intelligent. I know I'm not a genius. I know I'm not an idiot, but somewhere in between. If you really want to know, you might be able to take one of these tests. Although these sorts of tests can be flawed too (but in this case, the test was accurate I believe). The parts I scored lower on I could observe, same with the parts I scored higher on.

These tests aren't always great confidence boosters though. But if you really really need to know how intelligent you are, they are an optio

• I could tell you that everything will be alright and butter you up... but nope...
    I'm not gonna, you made mistakes, you know what those mistakes are... now dust yourself off... and go kick some ass. You got youth on your side and you know what problems you got, half the battle... now finish it.

Ask yourself this; What do you want and what do you need to do to get it?
    Once you know what you want, the rest is pretty straight forward.

The problem is that... comparisons drive me crazy.

I know the reason I think, but it doesn't make it any less painful. When i try to sit down with my ex-tax textbook... all the stuff people have said to hurt me.

I can't concentrate the way I used to. I don't even know where to start.

My tax exam was not hard. I got a C in the course which is not obviously good, but the reason I got a C is because of lack of studying.

I think studying requires you to be focused and have a lot of concentration. I used to be good at that. I used to get As on my Economics exams which is all convoluted stuff.

Now I feel empty. Maybe if I did better at school I wouldn't feel so insecure around people who did Accounting. But I didn't. I used to do so well before I took time off

Biggest mistake to make; NEVER compare yourself to someone else.
      Do not follow the crowd and compare, successful people don't compete with others, they compete with themselves. Try to achieve more than you did yesterday, make the sacrifices that will make you happy for the rest of your life. That's what you should focus on.

I think the real problem here is that what gets you results in University is pure and simple effort. It is perfectly possible for a not too intelligent person to get an A if they work hard.

However, we don't really see people's efforts. So we look at someone who got an A and we wonder if they're smarter or they worked harder.

My parents used to make me think it's important to be smart. So a lot of my self-esteem got lowered because when I would sit down to study, I stopped caring about the actual result (as in getting an A) and started to care more about the process.

Like I would think if I studied more than 4 days, I am dumb. So I wouldn't study more than 4 days to prove a point about something, and would feel worse when I did badly.

Hence, it's a completely screwed up state of mind I had, and I didn't know how to fix it. I think I still don't.

What Girls Said 4

• Yeah, I have those moments. You just gotta keep pushing forward, even when you don't want to.

• I have felt like that many times :(

• I've gotten that feeling before

• I haven't felt this way yet.