Is it true that if I'm not registered to vote I won't get called for jury duty?

3mo What would be the easiest way to get out of it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Jury duty isn't really that bad but there are 2 super easy ways to get out of it 1) be a convicted felon 2) when you go to jury selection just wear a t shirt that says "execute the inocent" or some other crazy thing like that

What Guys Said 10

• Here in California they go off of your voter registration AND driver's license. If you have your name exactly the same on the two, then you will not have double the odds of being called for jury duty. If the names are slightly different, such as only a middle initial on one, then that doubles your odds. So here in California even if you are not registered to vote, you can still get called for jury duty just off of the driver's license. But don't worry, it is actually very interesting and you might actually feel that the experience was worth it. I was just on a trial on jury duty and it lasted about a week. Most don't last that long.

There is a list of legal reasons for the judge to excuse you from jury duty if you are called into a court with other potential jurors. One would be if it is an extreme financial hardship. If you are supporting yourself and need every day of pay that you can get, and your employer doesn't pay you while you are on jury duty, that could be a valid excuse. Best thing is to be honest. It is something that you might feel is very rewarding to do once you are there.

• I'm not sure about that. For a state trial maybe but a federal court probably not. I think the feds go by SS numbers

• There's one technique I know to get out of jury duty. Make it clear you are aware of something called "jury nullification." They won't want you to serve if you make this clear to them. Positive.

• Probably depends on the state. Just cuz you get served for jury duty doesn't mean you'll actually be on the jury. a lot of times cases settle out of court.

• I don't think you can

• Not entirely sure, but I think you usually get called in once you actually start working. I never got a letter for jury duty once I had a job for a couple years but this is just my guess.

• I don't know which country you come from. But in UK there are two electoral rolls. One you will be on.

• The only easiest way to get out is if you die😅

• Jury duty is awesome! Everyone who I've ever served with loved the experience. I've done it several times, including an 18 month term on a federal grand jury. I got my regular work paycheck and didn't have to go to work.. which was a bonus. The grand jury was one day a week only. The others were 2 week all business day terms.

The experience is educational and a part of civic responsibility.

Some states also take info from drivers license records. Not sure what the feds do. Felonies disqualify jury service and some misdemeanors will.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• If you are a registered voter and/or have a drivers license you can be summoned for jury duty. I wouldn't worry too much about it though if you have neither of those.

• Im not registered and I've gotten called in to do jury duty so...