Do you believe it's possible to 'make lemonade; when life hands you a lemon?

People quote this saying all the time, but is it really so easy to overcome the taste of the lemon?

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing is "impossible", the word itself says: I'm possible!

Well, I think it is usually hard, but you can make lemonade... usually just not of the same lemons you got from life.

Most Helpful Guy

• When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad!
    I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?

Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give you lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons!

I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!!!

What Girls Said 23

• Well if the breakdown of the saying is 'make the best of what you have' then it's up to the person to either sit and wallow in their misery, or use what they have to stand out or be a success.

As if it were so simple, we'd all be successes.

Yes, true, not letting bad situations affect you, psychologically. Well sad!

Well said!

• Sometimes, definitely not all the time-and it can be great when the person facing the struggle is accepting that attitude but it's more out of touch/insensitive if the person who isn't facing a particular issue is telling someone to make lemonade out of sour lemons.

• Theoretically yes it does make sense. But when someone is physically making lemonade, no.
    If you don't have the utensils and ingredients to make the lemonade then, that's a no go.

Yes, my point exactly, Mooky. Most of us don't have the utensils and ingredients, or belong to a group that has powerful people working against us...

Of course. Being optismistic is great, but if the facts are right in front of you and it's a no go.. Are you still going to be optimistic about it when it's never going to happen? I guess people need to be realistic at times Marty

• It isn't easy to overcome, but if you keep complaining about the lemons, you'll keep getting them.

1FIGHTING BACk. Might be better than complaining, but I don't think complaining about unfairness brings you more unfairness!

It probably doesn't bring you more unfairness, but when you focus on only unfairness, it will point out unfairness you might not have noticed!

• Sure if you can recognize what you can control and what you can't control.

• No. i prefer the biblical philosophy of taking no thought for the morrow saying, What shall we eat, or What shall we drink, or Where withal shall we be clothed? If you're having a rotten time, worry only about getting through the day. Let tomorrow care for itself. In the long run you will find that what you really want, and what you really fear, do not happen. Life takes unexpected turns.

• "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Okay. And what if life only gives you 2 lemons? Then you will get about three drops of lemonade. And, that's going to be the worst lemonade on the planet, because if you just rely on the lemons life gives you, you're not going to have lemonade. You're going to have lemon juice. And then YOU have to invest the time and the energy to go get sugar and ice and a pitcher and cups and MORE lemons because life didn't give you enough. And who are you giving this to? What is the point of making this lemonade? Do I have to drink it? I don't even like lemonade! Why can't life give me cake? I like cake. Cake is tasty. So you know what, life, keep your stupid lemons. I don't need 'em anyway.

Now I want cake. -_-

• Sometimes lemons aren't enough because you also need water and sugar to make some really good lemonade.

• So I hear that if you hit somebody with citrus it hurts quite a bit yet doesn't leave an incriminating bruise. Just in case you don't feel like "handing it back."

• Yes... In fact how would you know what true lemonade tasted like if it was only made of sugar?

Chuckle. Assuming they were GOOD lemons

Remember the 25 lines? Just the beginning

25 lines?

• you might need sugar

• yes, I do believe it. and actually did it before I even know the quote

• You just add sugar to a level you like.

• in some cases. And when you do make the lemonade. Throw it back into the person face who gave you the lemons and take the oranges that you originally asked for ;)

great Q :)

• I prefer it to be a different way:
    when life hand you lemons,
    SQUIRT THE LEMON JUICE IN LIFES EYES!

• Only in some cases yes.

• You're missing the sugar man! That's gonna be crappy lemonade

• Definitely. Your attitude on life's trials and tribulations will always, always, always, affect how you view everything, and sometimes how others view things.

• I didn't know life had hands

• It's a cute way of saying "you can't control life, but you can control your response."

Yes, I believe that. Why delegate the power to choose how you feel to others?

• My answer to this question is “Absolutely NOT.”

• I dont make lemonade I throw the lemons back.

• When life gives you lemons you should peel them and tell people they're rare exotic oranges and sell them overpriced.

img.buzzfeed.com/.../...zz-24670-1405086117-23.jpg

What Guys Said 15

• first of all-most lemons in life are self created-we DO indeed make our own beds (memo to all powerful god beliefs and other general fatalism idiocy).

second-yes, it's possible and necessary. Whatever happens "to" you... what matters is HOW you make it part of you, how you let it define you, how it changes you. That part/s is totally up to YOU. So even if you wake up one day and realize the last decade of your life was a lie-you must discover your part in it-WHY did it happen to YOU, instead of someone else? WHAT about you caused that to occur in YOUR life? and in such cases you might very well be nearly destroyed-so you can wallow in your newfound destruction, or you can rebuild yourself better than before-so it never happens again. Because you fixed the holes in your network, you repaired the flaws that allowed yourself to be a target, etc.

I don't agree with this Church of England 'we deserve it' approach. The Trump types believe this, of course,,,

• If life gives you lemons you squeeze the juice in the open wounds of your enemies, this will make you feared and respected.

• well... i'd rather have life give me a cow so that i can have some milk. lol

• I have always like that saying - It is simple and to the point, no pontification needed it , just try and get on with it.

• With your bare hands and no cup? No.

• Of course it's not EASY, but it is doable, and if that's the only option you have, then you better start squeezing.

• 0|0
  • what happens when life hands you shit?

• Just be happy that you got free lemons. It may not have been what you asked for, but at least you got something.

• Yeah or lemond aids. lol

• I got a bottle of tequila and corona. Makes it taste better

• I don't know. Been putting it with tequila most of my life. Ole!

• Lemons taste awesome.

• I think it's possible, but I hate lemonade.

• Yeah it is. Use the opportunity.