If you hear a gunshot, should you call the cops?

Me and my mom are home alone, we hear a gunshot. It was definitely a gunshot. We both agreed on it and it must have been close to our home (like 1 or 2 houses away). We're not in danger and checked the house but I'm wondering now if we're supposed to call the police or what? I don't want to make a bigger deal out of it but then again, if it's close by, someone might have been shot or is in trouble.

I just know the cops here are very incompetent.

3mo Oh and there was no screaming or the sound of anyone in panic.

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless you see what happened, it's pointless. In reality, all the cops can do is drive down your street, accomplishing nothing. They aren't allowed to start searching any house without themselves or someone else witnessing a crime.

There's no way for them to determine who did it. Now if you that a car or wall was shot, then by the entry angle, they might be able to determine where it came from, but without at least that, there's no point in calling them.

Most Helpful Girl

• It probably depends on where you live. I live in a very small rural town on a farm. Gunshots are normal here with people target shooting or hunting so I wouldn't be worried. If you live in a city or more urban area then that is probably different. If you are concerned then you can call and they will probably send someone to at least check it out.

What Guys Said 21

• call and let them check out.

• Its better to call them than not call anyone. I once saw a guy being executed by drug dealers. Ran like hell.
    Thus, its not hard to believe inocents might've seen stuff and been targeted as well. Call the damn cops already. If you have guns, be ready to protect your home.

• Probably not. I live in a woodsy area so you hear a decent amount of gunshots. I don't ever recall hearing about a gun incident where I live

• Nope, just take not of the time in case something did happen and you can help in any possible investigation. Im thinking you live a nice area huh?

• I live in a suburb but there is a shooting range about a mile from my house,
    I hear gunshots all the time.

Yeah my suburb is nowhere close to shooting ranges, open spaces or any type of wood or even secluded area.

• no. calling cops just increases the odds someone will get murdered... at least if a civilian does the murdering, theyll get punished...

• Well In the district where I am living there are always gunshots in every night :D I got used to it and nothing happens, but I don't know about your country maybe its something serious.

• You definitely should, it could have been a murder.

• Where i live gunshots are normal hear them all the time ya it sure is ghetto over here lol but if yiu feel it's necessary do it.

• I sometimes hear gun shots echo through the mountains. Where I live a lot of people hunt, so it is no big deal for me. But it depends where you live.

• Mind your own biusness and never see anything or speak of such.

• If you live in the USA then no. They will just look for the first black man and shoot him.

• Yes, you call police. Someone could have been injured and you need to provide information.

• Let it be

• It depends, I live near a farm/forest so there is always gun shots.

• I would call if it's something really out of the ordinary. Hope nothing bad happened.

• If u heard more than twice, then go ahead. Probably the neighbors around there alrdy got it covered.

• Yes. call. Better safe than a victim.

• Yes, so they can check it out

• I would, and I'd stay anonymous. But that's me.

• yes call the cops. they'll drive around looking for suspicious activity or characters.

What Girls Said 9

• Think this depends on where you live and how life is around there. In my neighborhood this would not be alarming. If I lived in an apartment in Atlanta it might be however.

We live in a suburban neighborhood with houses, not apartments.

No woods around in any way shape or form
      :/

I live in a suburb and and a shooting range is like a mile from my house,
      I hear gunshots all the time.

• I'd call. Better to just let them know so they can check it out and create a file if need be. If it's nothing, so be it. But if it *was* something, you'd probably wished you would have called the police the first time so that they could get some investigation started.

Usually if it's nothing, like a firecracker or something, they call you back and tell you not to be alarmed and then file it.

• No, maybe it's just me but I'm used to hearing them. But if it is out of the ordinary, I would

• In Europe you do. Don't know in the US, because there you are allowed to have a gun and shoot in your garden.

• Yes you should

• Nah.
    Last time I heard a gun shot and ducked for cover it turned out to be a skateboard.
    If I was absolutely sure, I would.
    But otherwise, I don't trust myself, lol.

• Not where I live. A gun shot just means my neighbor is hunting again.

• Yes, call the police. For your own safety. 😊

Opinion owner. Correct response for a minor !! But for an adult , is not the same. Your answer is right for your age. 😊

• OMG! Yes you should call the police!! Even if there was no screaming it means someone is dangerous and could hurt someone (or could have already)