If you were a teacher, would you accept a job in a school that's predominately minorities?

Knowing that there is more violence, disrespect, and lower academic interest?

• I would
  • I would not

Most Helpful Girl

• Its really good experience. I knew a teacher who started off in a school like that, and they intentionally picked out all the worst kids for her class. She had a rough year, but after that everything was easy in comparison. I think she works at a private school now and can't get over how good the students are

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm studying to become a teacher and I would put it this way: I don't have anything against minorities in terms of race. In fact, I couldn't care less what skin color my students have.
    However, what I do care about is their motivation to learn. I'm studying to become a teacher, not a police officer. I have absolutely no interest in dealing with petty fights between kids or students throwing around stuff in the classroom or other bullshit like that. I want to TEACH; my job will be to make my students smarter, not to make them behave better. I expect that they already know how to behave themselves when they enter my classroom, so they are ready to learn new things.
    In my country, middle school is kind of like high school in the US. Teachers constantly have to play the role of the police officer and the actual teaching becomes a minor thing. Mandatory school goes until 9th grade (age 15) in Switzerland. Kids who want to go to university later on need excellent grades and they need to pass an entry exam to get into high school. High school in Switzerland is comparable to college in America. The kids who are there are still teenagers for the most part but they are pretty mature and they are there because they enjoy studying and because they want to be there. I am studying to become a teacher at a high school and not a middle school for this very reason. I want to work with kids productively, I don't want to yell at them constantly and be their kindergarten supervisor. In America, teachers can't do anything when their students act like grumpy toddlers. In Switzerland, you can just send them home if they misbehave. It's like at university: you just tell them "look, either you sit down and learn with us or you go home. You're here for yourself, not for anyone else". I remember once in high school a fellow student apologizing to one of our teachers that he had been skipping lessons. The teacher just looked at him and said: "I couldn't care less about your apology. You can do with your time as you see fit. It's you who needs to pass the next exam, not me". That's the kind of relationship I seek with my students. As long as they're there to learn and participate, every minority is absolutely welcome.

What Girls Said 5

• Yes I would. Just because they're minorities it doesn't mean anything. They probably just need someone that would listen to them instead of basing them off something stereotypical

• I would, the reason those things (violence, disrespect...) exists is because the way they (people) are treated.

• I'm studying to be a teacher. I would accept the job if they really need me.

• I would accept. The only people who speak about minorities and not humans, are those who unconsciously are racist.

When you learn to treat people as humans, and not by their ethic background you'll understand why they behave that way.

• Fuck no. Never.

What Guys Said 11

• I wouldn't prejudge on colour of skin - There are just as many white Christian scumbags out there as the rest of society.

• I have always worked in schools with mostly Hispanics and very few Whites and Asians. I like it and they like me.

There are a few Blacks, but they usually don't like me even though I've done nothing to them. I guess that's fair though because I don't like them either. Ha ha. I do make a point of trying to treat everyone fairly though in regards to rewards and discipline regardless if I like them or not.

• The question before this is why did you become a teacher in the first place? Is it to help children learn because you love teaching or is it because you just ended up doing it? If you really love teaching then working at a school full of minorities would be great. Sure it might be hard at first but once you really break though with the kids the rewards will be much better.

• It depends on how they perform. There are some magnet schools were kids want to learn and don't want to lose their spot. If you're in a school like that then you can teach. If not, then there is a good chance the school is low performing and you'd be wasting your time. If you aren't the minority that is prominent at that school you'll likely face a lot of racism from the kids and their parents as well whenever you try to get them on track.

• My wife, son and daughter in law all teach in public schools with many minorities.

And these schools need the best teachers. Any nincompoop with his degree can teach in the 'easy' schools.

• I live in London, the minorities were the majorities in school.

• i would, because finding a job isn't easy these days

• How much is the pay tho

• sure, be brilliant

• i dont want to get shot :p

• You get payed more, well in the city I'm in you do so yes.