What are some good ways to deal with homesickness?

Except for going back home which is not an option anymore unfortunately...

I have to live abroad for at least 5 years and I have been already living abroad for 3 years but I still feel homesick. I want to go back home but I can't do it anymore. So I have to suck it up and find a way to finish uni in 5/6 years :/

Have you ever dealt with homesickness? How did you get over it?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been living abroad for 8 months now and I know it that long but i don't plan on going back because I think i have better job opportunities here. anyways, I always try to Skype with my family and friends and i call them as well because i miss their voices and we send each other things on mail, maybe you can get something from home so you have it close to you! Anyways, i try to remmeber that one day i'll be back and we'll meet again. I know it's hard because I miss everything i used to have and i don't have anything here. But just try to remember everything is still there for when you come back and it time will go by faster than you realize

What Guys Said 20

• You have been abroad for 3 years and have at least 5 more years to go. That is at least 8 years possibly more, at uni. What are you studying? And why can you not go there during breaks?

• You're in England now? From Tunis? No wonder you feel homesick! Such a huge cultural difference.

Try to focus on learning the culture where you are now, rather than hanging out with other Tunisians.

• It probably hits you in waves - Do you have family and friends you could talk to online at home - You are Tunisian, are there Tunisian restaurants or shops you could go to for a taste of home -Do you have Tunisian family or friends in your new home, seek them out just to hear yourself have a conversation in your native tongue - Wear something traditional to remind you of home.

• I've had it as a youngster (12 years old or so) when I was on these yougth camps...
    Here are some ideas you can try :D
    www.gooverseas.com/.../ways-reduce-homesickness-abroad

• Go back home. One thing I've discovered in life after a lot of misfortune is that your family truly is all you have. They are more important than anything else. Maybe you should return to them, and ask yourself why it is so important to complete college out here.

• By making a lot of new friends and have fun in your life. Find some stuff you really like in your new country. It makes you forget the things your enjoyed at home, or at least makes it bearable.

If you stay at home all the time by yourself, you will have too much time to think about it... and thinking too much about stuff is usually bad.

• My parents live in London but I study in Coventry. I've studied for 4 and need to do so for another year.

I felt homesick at times but I dealed with this by just hanging out with my friends. They were mostly Kurds too so it really helped as they are from your cultute.

• Learn to enjoy what your present residence has to offer, people as well as food or distractions.

• . I think you need to call home often while staying focused and busy at university
    Keeping busy is the best remedy
    It will take your mind off home
    Also make good friends in this new place
    At my uni I have a small family of friends
    That's why we never feel homesick because we are so close now we feel like brothers

• The best bet to do it is to make yourself feel more at home and understand why you are homesick. Is it just because you miss people, do you not feel comfortable enough where you are, etc.

While not all of those can be fixed, some can.

• Have a good collection of your friends where you are and start in contact with people from home. Maybe explore new areas some? :-)

• No, i never left my home country long enough... its time for some traveling for me. I can't help you on this but i hope you can work it out.

• yeah i have delt with homesickness but not in a good way but in a very depressing and bad way.

• Well everything got cons and pros , just try to get over this feeling

• Find a guy
    Marry him
    Go back to your home
    Have fun
    Or
    Control your emotions and fight

For this to work I need to find a Tunisian guy from Tunisia which is so hard lol

Well, I'm not sure if a foreign guy wants to live in Tunisia 😂

Any guy would love to live there tbh
      I have plans of living there or maybe Greece
      Like somewhere hot
      So I think you should expand your preference for guys 😂

• You have to adapt to the new environment. Since you know you can't go home, make the new place your home. make freinds, get a new hobby, or possibly save up money to move back home :)

• eat some of your country foods if u can find them there 😁😂😄😆

• why can't u go back

• I guess just write home or call if you can

• take a vacation visit to home.

What Girls Said 8

• I moved out the house since I turned 18. I usually ring them up whenever I miss them.

Other times, I distract myself
    Meet new people
    Check out the latest gigs and events
    Volunteer in a charity
    Join a sports group in your area or book club

• Can you talk to people from home often? Your parents and such can give you updates, sending photos and sharing news on what has been going on.

• we can trade I wanna live abroad :P

• Can you Skype call your family?

• Get the D

• I'm currently homesick even after a year.
    Go to places that remind you of your culture.

• Call your family every day (I Skype my sis all the time).

• No not yet
    Soon I will have to deal with it