Why do people gravitate more towards people that ignore them?

Like why are people more interested in people that ignore them? This girl trys so hard to be this other girls friend and she clearly doesn't want to be. Why?

• Want to be accepted by them
  • Feels worthless without their attention
  • Wants to fit in

Most Helpful Guy

• "People want what they can't have." This is a classic true adage. "People gravitate more towards people that ignore them" is a variant incarnation of this. They want to join a group that they don't believe that they can join.

Most Helpful Girl

• People want to be accepted, it makes them feel like an outcast if they aren't. Some people are just closed off to others or think little of that person.. I tried to be friends with a girl back in elementary school but she never liked me. I guess I wasn't cool enough to her or just weird. People shouldn't try to force themselves on others, if they don't want to accept that person then to hell with them, there's other people who will.

What Guys Said 11

• I've done it where I'm the worlds worst texter with girls and they just get more into it and try to initiate everything first.
    I think of it as a car salesman who is too eager to try and sell you something and bombards you constantly with all sorts of crap on a care you don't particularly want. Your guard is up and you probably have no interest in it, if you did you would likely try to haggle.

Now if you were interested in something and the person wasn't very interested in parting with it, you're dealing with a challenge and it's value goes up partly because you 'cant have it'. It becomes a sort of achievement.

• I think mainly C mixed with a bit of A

• People with low self-esteem do that. Why? Because by them being ignored they naturally feel they are beneath in the social hiearchy and getting attention then means they are moving up that hierachy.

Additionally its the childish "I want what I can't have"

• girls wanna attention all the time. weak behaviour reinforced by the medias, paranoia inducing social network, need to compete with other girls

males eh, you're either good enough or you dont even get a chance to hang around other people - but to each to his own : i dont hang around somebody who just wants my company to get their problem solved or whatever, just to kill time you know

• It really is a female thing. Guys accept one another as an unspoken thing. Just because one guy says little to another or even nothing does not mean he is ignoring, it means he has nothing to say to him. Simple.

• If i dont need their attention i normally just move on I dont have the patience for mind games! I waste enough time as it is! :(

• Most people are beta, sheep and need to support of the group. They can't survive on their own.

• Some people want what they can't have.

• They don't?

• Well it's a bit like why do women blue tick the guys who are sweet to them by text, delay replying? I don't know either tbh!

It makes no sense. Personally if I like a girl I do not ignore her.

• Wants to fit in

What Girls Said 4

• We're pack Animals and we want to fit in and be accepted. Thats also why people follow bitches around (pardon my language, but its true)

• More often than not, it may be because people want to feel accepted but typically grown adults grow out of this after high school and the urge comes from a simple desire to be challenged.

• Its a challenge and most girls love a challenge. It becomes sort of a goal to have or get attention from someone who doesn't care. Also, if the girl's successful it becomes an ego booster, because she just proved she can have any man she wants. I honestly think its juvenile and people need to move on if they realize a guy isn't putting in his time or effort

we could still put in the time and effort and women wouldn't still give us the time of day

@CancerianMan81 Then she probably is just not into you, and the same rule applies. If she isn't giving you the time of day, tell her adios and move on.

• They crave the attention