Would it be fair to judge people based on their thoughts?

Hypothetically if you could hear people's thoughts, do you think it would be fair to judge them and the type of person they are based on those thoughts vs. their actual actions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hypothetically, if one could hear the thoughts of others, it would be fair to judge them by such thoughts, but only if you also held yourself to the same standards, and even if others around you could not hear your thoughts to pass judgment, then you, as the individual in question, should only judge others by that which you are willing to be judged by. Such behavior and philosophy has actual religious roots in a few denominations.

Yes, to hold another by a standard you wouldn’t allow yourself to be judged by is being hypocritical and that’s not morally or ethically good. Whether or not you judge someone by their thoughts or their actions is irrelevant, if you don’t hold yourself to the same low or high standards, but if you feel you truly can pass judgment on yourself as you would do it to another, then it is far, because you are not doing anything to another you are not willing to do for yourself. That’s my bottom line.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. It should be based on what they do with those thoughts.

What Guys Said 14

• I suppose you can, but judging people does not mean you are right. It's way to easy to be wrong, yet you walk away deciding what they are, not knowing. I don't mean in all cases you will be wrong, but most of the time. Remember there are people mis judging you too.

• Yes, to a point. When someone has a thought significantly different that you, then do 2 things:
    1. Look in the mirror and try to be self-reflecting and reassess how you determined or came to the conclusion that you have.
    2. Try to determine how they arrived that their conclusion.

It is the quality of their thinking process and their weights of priorities that should be judged.

• Yes, it would be great if we could do that. The evil people would be exposed.

REALLY? Like you have never had EVIL thoughts and HATED on someone? Don't be so quick to judge, and throw the first stone, when you are a sinner. . .
      It is OK to have TOTALLY HORRIBLE THOUGHTS, and be angry, and think things that you would NEVER DO, in reality!! That is a psychological coping mechanism that just about every normal person uses!!
      So what would you do with them, that are exposed with these thoughts?

• I would judge someone on their actions - Thoughts are just the initial thing but action is the completion of the process.

• It is NEVER fair to judge anyone. Keeping an open mind is how you learn. Just because you understand why someone says something particular way, or reacts inappropriately, does not mean that you condone their behavior or thoughts. It simply means you are processing their take on a situation and comparing it to yours.

• I think its better to judge by their actions. who cares what they think. if they have bad thoughts they are only hurting themselves if they don't act on them its fine we don't have to live in that persons mind.

• People are so obsessed with being "judged" that now we're worrying about thought crime.

*thinks*

What did I just think about you? Yeah, that.

• Thoughts would tell you the type of persn they are, but judging them as in 'thought crimes' would be wrong.

Well, that's why I was randomly thinking (pun intended) of this question because I think every single human being has had some really dark, or nasty thoughts about someone/something, but they never act on them, just think them. So can we really say that person is say evil or bad if they never act on those thoughts?

so how would their thoughts, as you've stated, tell you the type of person they are?

Depends on how we define bad and evil. Thoughts would tell us if a person is racist, homophobic, hates women. That tells us what type of person they are. Are those thoughts alone enough to classify someone as evil? I feel that bad and evil are dependent upon ones actions. But, yeah, such a person is an asshole and we would know that.

• Nope... we all have a different opinions. It is up to you on whether you comply with it.

• I have OCD, bad case of intrusive thought OCD or taboo thoughts OCD, or harm. Many names LOL. I think about doing things that I wouldn't do all the time and it makes me full of anxiety and worry. But I don't think I should be judged on them.

• No. Just because you have a thought doesn't mean that's what you actually believe. Judge people on there character which a person actions reflect. Judge other things on content.

• As long as you walk a mile in their shoes first...

• Of course. It's called discernment. Is what they are thinking/doing/saying, acceptable or not?

• It's acceptable to judge a person based on anything you want to but remember it cuts both ways and someone will judge you.

What Girls Said 1