Do People Often Mispronounce Your Last Name?

My last name is too closely related to three famous icons so I'm constantly either correcting people or spelling my last name for people. After 37 years it's beyond annoying but something I can't escape. I once thought of changing it to "Jones" or "Smith" but it seems like too much paper work.

What about you?

• All The Time... Dammit!Do People Often Mispronounce Your Last Name?
  • OcassionallyDo People Often Mispronounce Your Last Name?
  • RarelyDo People Often Mispronounce Your Last Name?
  • Nope, Sucks For You Buddy!Do People Often Mispronounce Your Last Name?

Most Helpful Girl

• These Looney Tunes gifs made my day <3
    People don't have a problem with my last name as it's quite straightforward, but they struggle with my legal first name all the time lol, especially doctors.

Aussies have last names? I thought it was just a series of numbers preceded by a nickname. Like "The Bird Man of Alcatraz" #594-AZ :p (should've put that in my take.)

Ahahaha yeah they still treat us like convicts down here! :P

Ty for mho :)

Most Helpful Guy

• All the time,
    if you pronounce my last name how its spelled and you will pronounce it wrong.
    basically, there is a ch that is not pronounced as "CHUH"
    But rather like wk.
    Though people I know get it right pretty much always.
    My first name is what they get wrong because it sounds and spelled one letter different from a very common first name, my first name is just the scottish variant of that other first name

What Girls Said 29

• B, but they usually get my first name wrong. It's "Lyssa", but they call me Lisa, Alyssa, Melissa, or even Lysa (lie-SUH) Like the one chick from Game of Thrones, the sister of Lady Stark.

But my one co-worker is jealous of my ability to see tour-guests' names, even foreigners, one time, and pronounce them flawlessly nearly every time :P The only time I mess up is when HE didn't put them into the computer correctly!

• only my first name but my last name is easy and very common, both my maiden last name and my current one. I have the most common and known irish last name right now

• Mostly my First Name, which is which is Almost the Same As... "Paris."
    Good luck and Great question, @pervertedjester. xx

• Yeah, it's normal though. My last name is Kinda Arabic and it has a letter that doesn't exist in the Latin alphabet so I don't care when they mispronounce it!

• It's fairly easy for English speakers but in non English speaking countries I sometimes don't even realise when someone is calling me by my last name depending on how they pronounce it lol

• My entire name is pronounced wrong lol. People pronounce my last name the Spanish way which is silly cause all they do is change the last letter's. When it's clearly apparent that is not my name.

• Not really. The only issue is that people hear it wrong. When I say it, I guess it sounds like I'm adding an S to the end of it, so I have to repeat myself until someone understands it. There is actually an author with a last name similar to mine, but it has an S for the last letter, so I can see how someone might be mistaken.

My last name is also a WORD. It's a legit word with a definition (though never actually used in the American language...). I guess that's a good thing because nobody will mispronounce it. It's French, so at least nobody in the U. S. would think to make jokes about it. Here, it's just a last name, and nothing more.

• Yup like all the time. Even my first name and it's only 5 letters lol

• All the damn time, my last name is uncommon. :/

• Occasionally for my last name, all the time for my first name.

• Occasionally. Can't blame them.

• They tend to mess up my first name more than my last, but it does happen.

• Last name? No. First name? Yup.

• Yes. I have a French-like last name and since I live in Southeast Asia ( I am an Asian) they will pronounce it based on what they think of it.

• All the bloody time.

• No, mine is pretty simple to pronounce as it is the plural of a word in the English language.

• Actually a decent number of people mispronounce/shorten my name for no reason. My last name is easy.
    It's plain and simple Avantika. I don't know what's so difficult about it that people have to shorten or mispronounce it :/

• dammit

• Sometimes they do.

• Like 99% of the time.

• yes ion my case

• Yea it happens quite often

• If they mispronounced it, they'd be extremely dimwitted. They want to misspell it and make it complicated though. Who knows why people make simple things complicated?

• Pretty much never. It is spelled incorrectly on occasion.

• my last name's Playfair. That ain't hard. but my first name.. i want to change it

• Never.

• Nope

• No , it's a pretty common last name

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 21

• My last name is *one* syllable, and it's an everyday word except that the last letter is redundified... but still people mispronounce it (!)... and add syllables...

• Omg all the fricken time -_- I hate it sooo much lol.

• Yeah, you have to use an accent and be able to roll your "R's" with your tongue to pronounce mine right.

• First name? All the time. They pronounce it wrong, spell it wrong... last name not so much.

• Only sometimes. Most people I know will pronounce it well, but I get really odd pronunciations of it haha!

• All the fucking time. It's pronounced french and I study in Germany... so, yeah

• People never pronounce Niall right.

• people often mispronounce my middle name

• like nails down a chalkboard. it pisses me off

• Yes, it happens too much.

• The story of my life...

• It is one of the most common surnames in my country - For a non native speaker it would be a very easy two syllable word

• No never, they misspell it all the time though. It's a super easy name to spell and is spelled the normal way, don't know why so many people can't spell it.

• First and last name

• I don't have a last name.

surnames are a false concept and should be dropped. the only true point of a surname is person ownership and that's an outdated notion.

• Yes, a few times actually. I don't know how people can screw up my last name as it's the name of a big hardware chain store.

• 0|0
  • Nope. Simple one syllable first and last name.

• no but its too long and hard

• Men fought and died so that you can bear that name
    Take pride in it

• Wait, why would you pronounce any instance of "stein" that way?

Unless it's not German...

The character is ashamed of what his grandfather did and does not want to be associated with that.

Ohhh, there's an explanation like that?
      And then this, in turn, leads to other people copying that pronunciation for "stein" in other media and thus, the confusion spreads...