Has karma been nothing but a total lie after all?

It's been many years since I don't believe in karma.

There are people that weren't nice to me in the past (mainly during my very early teen years) and they're doing well in life. The main mean and most popular girl in my former middle school is now the owner of a family daycare center. She already has a good marriage and kids (she got pregnant at age 16 with her first child but still made it through). She has the three things I lack in life: being your own boss, marriage, kids.

Basically, people can still do well in life by getting away with treating others poorly in the past. The reason I might sound upset is because ever since I was a little girl, my father taught me about karma. He would always tell me that all those that wrong or treat others poorly, will be future failures/losers in life. BS.

Most Helpful Guy

• Karma just makes people feel like there is justice even though there isn't

It's a fake concept like God

Exactly. I'm an atheist to be honest.

What Guys Said 10

• Unfortunately karma isn't a known thing to have ever existed. I believe in karma.. I believe that what goes around comes around. Unfortunately your father let you down by making Karma seem to be what makes losers and failures. Karma can happen but it doesn't mean its enough to destroy someone. Hell Im sure you've done something that may grant you with bad karma. It comes in many different sizes.. shapes and times. Her kid might turn out to be a serial killer that kills her and the rest of her family.

Don't judge by what other have externally. She might have already got her fair share of bad karma.. or maybe she's done enough from that time you remember her to grant herself good karma. Just forget it and know something either has or will eventually come and bite her in the butt.

• Karma is total BS.
    The universe does not have some autocorrecting feature to ensure that good people see good rewards, and that bad people always get what is coming to them.
    For one thing, such a feature would strip us all of free will. If a bad person always suffered, and a good person always ended up happy and loved, people would, even if evil in nature, not act bad, to avoid it. It strips meaning from actions.
    For another thing, it denies people can change. That mean girl? Maybe she isn't mean anymore. Maybe she learned to treat people better, and has worked hard to be where she is, and deserves her happiness. People who believe in karma always seem to, like you, despise the happiness of others, because you don't think they deserve it. Maybe you're karma is to remain unhappy, as a price for not being able to be happy for other people!

Lastly, all you need to do to think karma is bullshit is to look at a starving child in Africa. If, when you did believe in karma, you looked at that and rationalized it by saying either "he must have deserved that," or "everything will work out in the end!" then you were either a fool, or a cruel enough person that you don't deserve karma working in your favor, or you are someone who was willfully blind of the rest of the world. Maybe karma is only for middle class white girls in middle America?

Congrats. By the age of at least 25, you finally figured out life isn't fair. The pathetic thing is that you're still whining about it. And what is worse? You are now rationalizing that only by being a terrible person can you get ahead. I pity your family. I pity your coworkers. I pity your friends, your significant others, and your children, because you have gone full reverse on your position, and concerned only with your own happiness (just as you were when you believed in karma), you will treat people like dirt, because you think it will make you better.
    Which just goes to show that you were never a good person to begin with.

Hey! Here's a thought! Karma is real, and you're just getting what you deserve!

When exactly did I said I would be a terrible person. I'm not and never was. I'm going to continue moving on with my life and work at my current somewhat stressful job and just keep moving on.

I'm just pointing out how things don't always work out the way you were taught. I'm now 29 years old and still childless and single for the longest. Ok, I admit that has me worrying at times.

At the time when I was in middle school, I just didn't want to keep getting picked on at school. I had to tolerate that for that whole school year. I didn't deserve that.

• You have to make your own karma. People that are more open to hurting others usually end up being more successful because the professional world requires you to be assertive to do so. That trait is very common among shit people because they train themselves to be that way in youth.

Yeah I figured that. It makes sense. I never had that chance to have those traits and had to be the student that gets good grades and basically reduced myself to a quiet, introvert not be choice.
      I never would have wanted to be a quiet, introvert.

Why does it sound like you're giving up? I'm the very definition of a quiet, introverted person, but I still kick peoples asses up and down the halls on everything I do even if they're way more competent than me. You just need to realize that there's literally nothing anyone can do to you for being assertive and you'll be able to turn that mild mannered crap right off whenever you need to.

• Seems to me that you haven't made peace with any of it, you just want to see them miserable so you can say 'That's the Karma for you right there.'

First things first the Karma does not happen when you want it to happen, second of those people did face their Karma in life, they are definitely not going to knock on your door and say 'hey look I got the karma handed to me', third everyone likes to put their best face in front of others, it's not like they are suddenly going to say 'hey look at me I'm miserable, must be the karma I've got'.

What goes around comes around, yes that is true. It just isn't gonna come around when you want it to or when you wish ill for others.

• Well, depends how we define karma. Karma as some kind of divine retribution against who you deem worthy to receive it, probably not so much :P Things aren't how they seem on the surface, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors. If you're so concerned with the lot of others, it usually indicates that you're not happy with your own life, and you should be focusing on yourself. Karma is more like, the same kind of patterns repeat themselves, unless you change your mentality and outlook.

Karma as a metaphysical thing is just speculative. For example, I've heard one describe it as you experiencing the emotions and impact you had on others upon death, but because you are not bounded by the physical body, the sensation is many times more significant. How can one verify something like that? Not exactly helpful!

• The idea that there's some cosmic force governing the consequences of our deeds is definitely bullshit.

• If she was pregnant at 16 and made it even with that, maybe she deserves it? maybe her karma worked out better? She basically gave up her youth for a child, what have you done?

You have a point; a child is a sacrifice. I remembered when I was a 17 year-old junior (still in HS) doing my community service hours as part of my HS requirement at an elementary school and suddenly she came with her mother. She seemed about 7+ months pregnant by then. By now she has 3 kids, one of them from a different guy.

I've returned to college at the age of 24 and recently got my bachelor's degree several months ago. I'm now 29, her same age.

• You never know what's going on behind the curtains. Besides maybe she's an okay person now and doesn't deserve anything bad to happen.

• Its just a buddist idea, why would it ever be real?

• Karma is a Hindu belief linked to reincarnation. It occurs in the next life. A person who is bad in this life gets reborn as a tapeworm or something like that.

What Girls Said 0