Should children that are not yet in college have a computer in their room? What say you?

Should you allow your kids to have a computer in their room. This has come up several times in conversations recently for me. I'm curious how my opinion aligns. I've data to support both conclusions, though nothing I'd consider definitive.

• Yes, why not, and things...
  • No, not allowing it is for their own good.
  • Eh, I don't know.
  • Just show me the answers
3mo I'm intrigued by the way the gender-based percentages are coming out. It's opposite of my personal experience.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. It's very important for school work; a lot of teachers will assign stuff that specifically required accessing the internet. The internet is a great learning resource anyway also; especially for topics they might be embarrassed to ask about eg. sex ed (no, this isn't code for they'll watch porn. Genuinely, I barely had any sex ed lessons in school and almost all of what I know about how to have safe sex, sexual health, etc. I learned online. If you're worried about porn you can just discuss with them the differences between sex irl and porn, the ethics of it, etc., or direct them to some of the many internet resources that explain those things).
    Also for socializing the internet is very important as social media is a key way kids interact with one another today; if they can't access it or are denied privacy, this could lead to them feeling very left out

Most Helpful Guy

• My parents would let me borrow the laptop and take it to my room. Of course if you make them buy their own maybe they'll understand the value of it. But if they're just borrowing the family laptop for the evening like I would, who cares. Yeah they'll probably watch porn for like 5 minutes. The rest of the time they're on YouTube, Facebook, googling stuff.

What Girls Said 7

• Why Not? Parents are Giving their Kids cell Phones as I Write this.
    Good luck and Great question, @xHeyUx xx

• Computers, yes, cell phones, no.

• I would as long as I could remotely monitor from my own computer. It would have restrictions set to limit access to certain areas of the internet.

• Why shouldn't they? I have a laptop up on my floor, and I use it for school, youtube, films etc.. It's very practical.

• Yes, it's the 21st century

• Computer in my room since I was 11. I know the implication is that is the way the child goes that is too bad. But in today's world of computer is a basic tool like a ruler or a pencil

• Not with full Internet access until at least 13 or so... kids can do their homework in common areas. Smaller children are just too naive and giving away personal info is too easy. Even then, monitoring what sites they go to is prudent. And I don't mean porn - though that should be addressed. I mean kids having their identities stolen, getting malware on the computer with family financial info on it or telling perverts where they live.

What Guys Said 10

• Most school and education is going this route for learning. Knowing computers and how to use them is a basic skill required everywhere today. I don't have a problem with them having one, but what they see and do still needs to be monitored.

• If and only if the parents are smart enough to track what they do.

• No, college is too old - Maybe 15 , Parents call as to how mature their kids are - Anyway with phones, tablets, laptops now, it is probably a moot point.

• yes, college is too late.

• I don't see why not. I didn't have my own computer until I was 16, so I didn't exactly fight my parents on this issue.

• Its not necceccary.

• Yes it's 2016😂

• Children should never have access to the internet in their rooms, unless parental supervision is constantly there to protect them

• Eh, I don't know.

• Because your teens don't have phones, right?