Have you ever had a drug or alcohol problem?

Please dont give advice about AA meetings because I've gone and am not interested.

I would just like to know how drastically your life changed and in what ways when you quit. (If you quit that is) or even someone that you know.

Most Helpful Guy

• never saw myself as an alcoholic but have drunk heavily since I was a teen. Mainly for my father was a very heavy drinker and he had no issue with me drinking with him.

My father after my mum died when I was 13 lost his shit and drank himself to death losing complete grip of reality and the responsibilities he had

• Wow I'm so sorry to hear that :(

• It is life, looking back my father died from a broken heart when my mother died and couldn't go on.

Most Helpful Girl

• I do both. I drink too much, smoke too much, and at times can snort something or pop some pills. I still haven't quit any of them completely but I'm trying to. Its basically alienated me from my parents (they caught me with coke) and I think it's causing me to start having memory problems soon trying to quit everything asap. I don't know how to quit though I guess I'm just gonna have to try and see what happens.

What Guys Said 5

• I know this. If you're addicted to prescription painkillers your chance of recovery is 30% without suboxone and 60% with

• Just stop doing them. Simple.

• I was addicted to sleeping pills - Not good - When you are sober, you are so much aware of what you are doing

• Yea
    Sometimes I don't find them
    Jk

• Only an addict can come to the decision to quit. Nothing else. Unfortunately, you have to have a "precipitating event" that makes you want to change. Life got better for me.

What Girls Said 3

• No, I haven't. I know people that have, though.

• One of the biggest keys is replacing old habits with more productive ones. Like, when you get the urge to have a drink at a certain time of evening, do yoga instead. Our brains are very much creatures of habit, so it takes a month or two.

Unfortunately, often you also have to give up destructive friendships. People who encourage you to make harmful choices don't have your best interest in mind and some may even lash out at you. It's sad, but addiction is stronger even than friendship and love sometimes.

I've been lucky my former heavy alcohol use never developed into addiction, but there are addiction issues on both sides of my family. One of my cousins even overcame meth addiction and was pretty open about it.

• I personally drastically reduced my drinking because I developed panic disorder and alcohol triggers panic attacks for me. Looking back, after several tickets, a bad car wreck where I ride with someone drunk and coked up, numerous falls and other dangerous situations, not to mention awful hangovers full of dread and guilt from anxiety disorder... I am glad all that drama is over.

• Never had a flow blown problem but I have drank a lot more more and smoked a little weed at 2 pretty crappy points of my life, to simply get through and numb myself.

But you gotta know when to stop! Control it before it controls you! I wouldn't quit straight off, try having dry day every second day, so a day on/ day off then increase it to 2 days in between etc to wean yourself off- till its back at a healthy level for example just at weekends or until you quit if that's your goal.
    Find something else to do on your days off the booze, that you used to do or want to try or you'll give in out of boredom and thinking about cravings - all the best!