For Christians, Muslims and Jews : in around 3000 Gods and Deities have been recorded in human history, why is yours special in any way?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well the ancient Egyptians had 1400 gods and 42 state gods. Nothing too special. I'm not a Muslim Christian or Jew by the way just saying

that just illustrates my point : why do the modern Monotheistic religion followers believe that their unique God is special in any way compared to the roughly 3000 gods that "existed" before theirs?

Still what you mentioned approves my point

@Dimmu oh my god you know nothing about ancient history. Ok bye

Most Helpful Guy

• This is yet another argument against the major religions - just what makes them special other than the "oh well my parents brought me up with it"
    ?

What Girls Said 5

• I would say that it is a historical and maybe cultural driven belief. When these religions were first spawned, they weren't as they are today. It took hundred of years to become "popular". Maybe this is one aspect that made them the dominant religions. Like most questions about religion, this question as well cannot be answered without starting a long discussion.

My assumption is that they are "special" because they conform with the changes that humans needed as a society and as individuals when they first appeared. Maybe ancient people got bored of so many deities and inside them without knowing it, they wanted something simpler and "greater". Maybe they managed to survive for so long because they still conform with people's inner needs regardless if it is Christian, Muslim or Jews.

Since humans first walked on earth it has always been the concept in societies of something greater than themselves. Something that makes things happen. Rules and regulations or superstitions which if they were broken it meant disaster. At first there was no idea of an almighty god. It was just rules that shaped the behavior of the savages, of the aboriginal people. From here it evolved in deities that made these rules such as the egyptian gods and then "evolved" in Monotheistic religions. It is like this is the trend at this moment in human history. And of course, things can go even beyond that.

I believe that religion and politics are strongly connected and it is in the interest of the rulers to keep religions alive.

But all these are just my assumptions.

Politics and religion SHOULD NOT EVER be connnected, because that installs a THEOCRACY (where religion dogmas are LAW)...

• Bcs Jesus helped me when I prayed to Him

Not to diss, but how exactly did he help you?

@triss sometimes we all need a higher power outside ourselves to help us succeed :)

@Borginborg indeed 😊

• mine is not ( i am christian and a non believer). let me explain.
    i dont believe a god has sent his son to this world blah blah... but i like what jesus teaches in terms of being modest, and non violent and stuff...
    so although i dont worship a god i call myself a christian ( as i was brought up as one since childhood) and appreciate what it says but know that he doesn't exist.
    LOL.
    so mine is not special.. it is just my way of expressing my own conscious.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. You call yourself a christian cause you like modesty and don't like violence? what does that have to do with religion? If anything, Religion is the cause for more war and deaths than anything else on this planet!

Maybe you are just not explaining yourself well here, but i am with you on being a non believer, but not your reasoning for considering yourself a Christian.

yes that 's it.

Technically being a Christians requires the belief in Jesus's divinity in the Eucharist. That's what one of the biggest riffs between the Protestants and the Catholics was and before that the Catholics were the only Christians. Not that I care because it's all not true.

• They're special because they have perfected the art of indoctrination. No more, no less

• I just think that it must be all the same being, just diff names and shit

So Zeus is the same as Aphrodite, as Thor, as Buddha and as Krishna? All the same thing?

What Guys Said 16

• People need to realise that "I believe in that" isn't a proof that something exists.

• Ours is monotheistic. The rest are polytheistic meaning that they can easily be discounted. They arose as a way to explain natural phenomena, literally being the embodiment of physical processes. Thus they were disproven with the advent of science. Monotheism on the other hand posits a clear distinction between the natural world and the one who created it. Thus our God has not been discounted just yet, although paganism clearly has.

I'm playing devils advocate but regardless look at your god/ religion explains the pain of childbirth. Last I check the pain of child birth comes from the fact that my uterus is freaking out, and my cervix and vaginal muscles are stretching like a mf.
      Anyways I wouldn't say it an atheist objection rather an objection in your logic. I have no issue with Christianity and quite frankly tend to stay away from it, but part of your religion is now being disproven by science... but it's monitheistic and different.. right?
      Even though I could be monotheistic and believe in the flying spaghetti monster and say spaghetti is good for you because it's my god's leg or something

@KittieCat You are equivocating mechanism with agency. The anatomy of your body is the mechanism by which the pains of childbirth occur while God is the agency that causes it to occur. To argue that a greater understanding of the former negates the latter would be like arguing that Henry Ford does not exist simply because we understand the science of auto combustion better than we did a century ago, and therefore he is irrelevant to the engine. It does not follow logically. There is no way that science can disprove monotheism because monotheism by its very nature is not predicated upon natural phenomenon like paganism. Its claims are metaphysical, meaning that it is the job of the philosophers.

• God just sided with the strongest armies. All along history.

wp.production.patheos.com/.../...12578157Small.jpg

"History is written by the Victor" - Walter Benjamin

I agree

I like the 10 pound note, it has Darwin on it!

Also, amazingly, thednastore dot com has them for sale for $59.95. (It's value is $13.29.)

• Jesus turned water to wine. I mean... that sold me. But then I really like Aphrodite (the nakedness and shit). But then Thor. He is pretty cool hey?

I think its the wine thing though that sold it.

• Well, their ones have no historical basis for one. They have noo philsophical or reason basis

• I am neither of those religions, I do believe in a higher existence though. My personal opinion is that all religions are different paths to the same aim and in the end they prayed to pretty much the same god/deity.

Why do some religions have more than one god then? Pay attention to those religions and how they humanise those gods a lot more. I think it is about helping to grasp what god is.

Think about it this way: Try to explain a figure in 2D what 3D is. The 2-dimensional being will be unable to grasp it. We humans have the same issue. Thus those religions humanised god into different human-like deities in order to make it more graspable for your average joe.

• I like mythology better
    Better philosophy
    Better stories

• well, this should be fun reading

*grabs popcorn*

• Simple.

My deity's religion built Western Civilization, sparked the enlightenment, discovered America, and built the world's best countries to live in.

What have the religions of the non-Judeo-Christian gods done?

They've kept their countries in poverty, misery, and stagnation.

If God's/YHWH's religion built the modern world, then that makes my God and my religion special.

non judeo christian religions expanded scientific discovery, charted out the movement of the stars, discovered continents and the basics of modern medicine, the layed the bedrock of modern democracy...
      Your religion kept their followers in ignorance to maintain power and keep control, not the pagans, pagans didn't stop scientific discovery (once again Want to talk about Galileo? ). So no, your GOD isn't any more special than the 3000 others...

@TheWaterBear That's not totally true. Though there was violence against Pagans during the time of the WRE up until the end of the 5th century, there was no real legal pressure against being a pagan in most of Europe during the Early Medieval Era; there would've been no one even that had the strength to enforce such bans, outside of maybe the ERE, but it was already concentrating on its efforts at reconquering the lost territory of the WRE.

The evidence seems to show that paganism simply had no way of combating the organized efforts of missionaries, priests, and bishops. It most cases, actually, it seems that Christianity just meshed in with the native pagan beliefs, with the pagan elements simply fading away overtime (we can actually see this in many rural parts of Central America).

Christianity also adopted many pagan holidays, for that matter, and gave them a new spin.

• Because ours is the only one that's real.

yes, as a muslim, I agree with this

@ThisDudeHere

Sorry that's not oden he has no beard.

That indeed is not Odin - that's the God Emperor.

• Really once you don't impinge on anyone else I don't care who you believe in, I am a non believer

• islam's god's first word were relevated is to read, and he always tell us to question everything and doubt everything

• It's special because the person believes in their faith. Automatically it's special to them. Also a few thousand years after the start of these faiths, we are still talking about them as dominating the world. Three faiths that trace their ancestors back to same person worshiping the same deity. Can you name the other 3000 deities and religions? Thousands of years later?

Not everyone can but I can name a few of them. I remember them from Ancient history class back in highschool.
      So they aren't completely forgotten.

@TheWaterBear That's why I call the European version of Christianity "Faux Christianity" it's all about power and social control now. But that isn't the true faith.

That was in the 4th century. Very early Christianity.

• I think one's god is special to the one who believes in it.
    The fact they believe makes it special to them.

• Because Christianity and Islam survived in their respective parts of the world, and the winner writes history.

(spiritual/agnostic here)

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more