Can I buy or own a car with $3000 or 5000$?

I wanna buy my first car. Can i get one for 3000 or 5000 dollars. I dont care about looks or models as long as it works and can get me tl point a and b with little to no trouble

Most Helpful Girl

• You really do want to pay attention to safety and reliability ratings. Some brands will have a common issue that most if not all owners will run into a short time after purchase. They will run fine for like three years and then have transmission problems something that takes thousands to repair. Some cars have been already been recalled for several problems but will still be on the market. Others will have faulty equipment that's not covered in the warranty (Nissan). You don't want to drop thousands on a vehicle and then a year later have to replace something major. Always, always get a history report on the car. It could've been in a serious accident and they patched it up enough to make it look good knowing damn well it's going to leave you stranded somewhere six months later (that's what they did with my old car, and the new owner abandoned it on the side of the road.)

What Girls Said 6

• Absolutely! You can find a solid, reliable vehicle for that price, but be aware of extra costs:

Taxes: On top of the base price, the state will collect taxes on your vehicle, usually to the tune of 5 or 6 percent. That would be about $150 to $300 dollars for your price range.

Insurance: The big one people sometimes forget. If it's your first vehicle and you're male in the 18-24 age range, you're unfortunately in a higher risk group, so you'll pay more. For a good insurance policy with basic coverage (no collision, comprehensive, etc.), you're looking at approximately $80-$100 a month. That being said, you can get a discount if you went to driving school and student discounts if you're still in school. (Pro tip: Don't go with the minimum insurance policy. While it's cheaper, accident medical bills can go into the hundreds of thousands, which the minimal plans won't cover. Good coverage is usually about $100,000 or more.)

Repairs: A killer for used cars. There's nothing worse than buying a nice car at a couple thousand dollars, only to find it needs some major repair that exceeds the value of the vehicle. Look for reviews about that particular vehicle, and ALWAYS have a mechanic look at the thing, even if it costs a few bucks for him to come out. That $30 could save you several thousand down the line.

A few more things I can think of:

*Avoid luxury brands, like Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. You'll often find these for an apparent steal, but that's because they don't hold resale value and cost exorbitant amounts to fix. Generic, reliable brands like Ford, Honda, and Toyota are always your best bet for a used vehicle.

*Be aware of the car's actual value. Kelly Blue Book is a site that allows you to determine the real value of a vehicle based on its make, model, year, mileage, and condition. If it's far too high, the owner is probably gouging. If it's far too low, while the owner may just be trying to sell it fast, there's a chance that they also are aware of a significant problem and aren't saying anything. A vehicle in it's price range is more likely to be legitimate.

*Avoid dealerships when in this price range. I have yet to find a reputable dealer who sells cars at any price under $8,000, and if they do, there's a chance they're one of these sleazy, fly-by-night fronts they'll hype you up for a car outside your price range, sign you up for a subprime loan to pay for it, and then repossess the vehicle if you miss a single payment.

Last tip: Check repair shops for car sales. A lot of times, mechanic shops will buy cars that require major repairs, then make the fixes and resell them. I purchased a wonderful 2003 Pontiac Grand Am from a transmission shop for $3100 (this was 4 years ago), and it lasted over 4 years for me. Again, just be sure they're reputable, which many are.

Yes, this was long winded, but as someone who just bought a car myself, I wanted to pass on what I learned. Hope it helps you out, and good luck with finding your car!

• Of course! Invest in a car with a good reputation and reliability. Fuel efficiency would be great (or just has a low engine litre) would be ideal, as car petrol (gas) prices are always fluctuating.

• If you buy a used one, like one that's 10+ years old, sure

• Yeah, the car my parents got for me and my sister cost about $3000, dad did a lot of research and got a great deal. Do lots of looking and I'm sure you can find a good car for a fair price too.

• Definitely. You can get a decent one for that price.

• Yes you could get one for less than that

What Guys Said 13

• I've owned 80 cars and haven't paid that much for any of them. Some of those cars were in excellent condition and with low miles. What you pay for a car depends on how much work you're willing to put into it. The better you know cars and prices, along with how much time you put in determines what you're likely to pay.

Also how picky you are about the car makes a very big difference. Whether they admit it or not, the large majority of people place more importance on looks than on condition. If you don't care what it looks like, you can get a much better deal. Color alone can make a big difference in the price.

Bottom line is, try to learn what you are doing. The absolute worst thing you can do is be in a hurry. Never "want" a car. Don't believe what the seller tells you.

• Pre-owned or second hand one probably. You may have to buy it from a private owner instead of a dealership, but you can try and look online for used cars dealerships locally and see what they have to offer. Don't know about brand new cars though, as I would expect many of them to cost anywhere between $15,000 to $30000 at the very least.

• Yes. Shop around. It's important to check for any leaks specially oil leaks. If your interested in a car and you have the means take it to a trusted mechanic and have him take a look at it. Other wise test drive it, turn on heater, a/c, check brakes, put it in gear to make sure no transmission problems. Take and extra pair of eyes with you. Good luck.

Hi. Can you message me?

@NeonPink hi, I message you but don't know of you got it. If not you can email me too eltri93309@gmail. com

• You've come to the right website. I definitely know the prices of cars off the top of my head.

I think you might want to go to a dealership or look on a website that prices cars. I don't think I or anybody else is going to be able to answer your question.

Off the top of my head though... I think you can get a used car for that price.

• Dude my first car costed me $800 and it needed some work but for thst orice you can get a pretty decent car

• Yeah man, that's the sweet spot for a reliable car. You can either buy one used or get into a nicer new car and make payments.

A little bit of advice if you're buying used. Avoid luxury cars, sports cars and small import pickups. The first two age poorly while import pickups are kinda overpriced.

• Definitely. On craigslist. If you know how to avoid people selling cars that have issues that they don't tell you about.

• I don't know where you are but in Ireland - Car insurance for a young person is biggest cost.

• You can buy one and with good knowledge and $7000-8000 in hand you can u can work on it and make it it just an average looking car.

• depends where you live I guess but in most cities ya 3-5k works

• My first car was $2000

• Yes, You can buy a cheep car of craigslist...

Buy a Honda or Toyota, they are more reliable and cheaper...

Try to do some research and maybe go with a friend for safety and maybe he can help you look at the car...

I would try to look for one at about $2000-$3500 and save the rest of the money in case it needs repairs...

• It will be older and probably not the fanciest but ya