People that know or have experienced Vegans: what has your experience been with vegans? good/bad? please explain?

Is it just the one I told I refused to accept the arguments of because he failed to provide me proof that the vegan way is healthier than vegetarian or meat eating that has resorted to childish insults or is this par for the course? I am getting really turned off vegans by this guy but like to see the best in people and want to know what other people's experiences have been before I make any decisions on the group as a whole. (he isn't my first bad vegan encounter but I have never had a good encounter personally with a vegan except one woman on this site that was very civil)

Most Helpful Girl

• The first vegan I ever met was pretty cool, but we did argue about veganism. It wasn't because she brought it up or that she even talked about her diet at all (because she didn't), it was because everyone started questioning her at dinner time. She calmly answered our questions, but honestly, veganism made absolutely no sense to me and it made me mad for some reason. All of us at the dinner table made fun of her and waved our meat in her face, giving her arguments like "but you need protein", "plants have feelings too", "they're just animals", "what if you were on a desert island", "circle of life", "lions tho", and all this other nonsense. She took it well, but looking back and knowing more about veganism now than I did then, we were completely stupid assholes to her and she did nothing but leave animals off her plate.
    I think the hatred towards vegans stems from a place of ignorance and misunderstanding. People fear what they don't understand, and that translates into ridicule and aggression. The cognitive dissonance people experience when their own belief systems are challenged must play a part too.

You are right and hit the nail on the head I think. As with anything 'new' people revert to close minded savages at times. I find no fault with veganism. Sometimes the crusaders of the cause go a little far but show me a belief system that doesn't have its zealots

What Girls Said 2

• My son is a vegetarian. Although he doesn't get into debates about it. It is his choice.

I like vegetarians they almost had me convinced to give up meat at one point.. I just can't say no to a juicy t-bone though lol

Me neither...

lol guess that makes us bad people lol oh well roll up the newspaper and swat away. I'll just growl, bare my teeth, turn around and continue gnawing on my steak lol grrrrrr

• Not that bad

What Guys Said 2

• it's meh, i've never gotten' in argument with a Vegan. They usually do their own thing. Some are pretty fucking nutty' though.

• except that we needed to find somewhere to eat where they serve vegan food like exery other person

I can understand this. It seems mainstream hasn't picked up on this yet (in my city we have 2 vegan restaurants and the food is awesome) I think that when veganism gains popularity then more places will open but for now it isn't worthwhile financially to do in most cases.

90% here have at least one vegan meal, but you have to make sure beforehand that the one you want to is not one of th 10% because walking out it while ordering is not liked very much