What's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?

• Atlantis was a mid-Atlantic continent that suddenly sunk into the ocean.What's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?
  • Atlantis was an island swallowed up by the Bermuda TriangleWhat's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?
  • Atlantis was Antarctica before the last Ice AgeWhat's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?
  • The story of Atlantis was a mythical retelling of the Black Sea FloodWhat's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?
  • Atlantis is the story of the Minoan civilization, which flourished in the Aegean sea islands (pre-Greek)What's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?
  • Atlantis was sunk by some Giant Sea Monster (like the Kraken): What's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?
  • Atlantis was destroyed by the AliensWhat's the most plausible theory about the Atlantis?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol I voted A but I have no idea.

But it could be aliens. It's always aliens ;)

What Guys Said 26

• Well lets go through the options
    A) There would be geological evidence of a sunken continent in the Atlantic (impossible)
    B) There would again be geological evidence for it (impossible).
    C) Antarctica was frozen for 40 million years; way before the last ice age
    D) There was evidence of human settlement from marine archaeology but [as of yet] no evidence that a civilization existed along the Black Sea Coast (possible)
    E) There are huge similarities between the accounts of the Minoan civilization and Atlantis with only a few differences [which would be expected given that the description we have isn't a first had one] (very likely)
    F) There's no way a sea creature could grow to that size and be able to come out of the water to do that (impossible)
    G) How did they get here and no descriptions say that beings from the sky destroyed it (very unlikely)

I'll go with E as the most likely explanation with D as a possibility.

However instead of what you put for C you could put that Atlantis existed during the ice age (when sea levels were lower) on an area of land that was at the time exposed but was inundated when the ice melted.

grahamhancock.com/.../underworld-Sundaland.gif

There were some other hypothetical ancient civilizations, for example Lemuria, and the lost continent of Mu.

A lost continent isn't the same as a lost civilization.

I know, but Lemuria was a civilization, just like the Atlantis, maybe even more developed.

• The Black Sea flood would have been known to all the peoples of the Eastern Mediterranean, and from there legends spread west after the coming of the Romans

That's true, Atlantis legend was known mostly to the Greeks and Egyptians.

• Definitely the Black Sea Flood. Before the Mediterranean Sea flooded over what is now the Straights of Bosphorus, the Black Sea was a lake with communities on its shore. After the flood, those communities are nows ruins at the bottom of the Black Sea. The images taken by submarines are creepy.

• Well I believe in the sunken sea theory and there's a fair chance it's true. since there are ancient cave drawling that depict places and advanced technology indicating some-kind of advanced human civilization at the time of ancient world.

So it's not out of bounds to think that some kind of disaster or something sunk a technologically advanced island or flying city in the middle of the ocean, or maybe they sunk themselves?

Or if your religious like me you probably know of the only sea monster that would be big and powerful enough would be the Leviathan from the Old testament.

The Leviathan is no myth though. He is one of the great sea creatures God created (Genesis 1:21) that is massive, breathes fire and smoke (Job 41), and lives in the sea (Isaiah 27:1). Just because you haven't seen one, doesn't mean he does not exist. God does not lie, and He declares Leviathan's existence.

His size

Leviathan is so massive that "sorrow dances before him" (Job 41:22). When strong men encounter one, they become so fearful the men are beside themselves with terror (Job 41:25). Leviathan is so massive he leaves a large shining wake behind him as he moves through the sea (Job 41:32), and his eyes are so large God likens them to the breaking of day (Job 41:18).

Part of Leviathan's fierceness, along with his size, is his immense strength. Besides having more than one head (Psalm 74:14), God says he has "mighty power" and "terrible teeth" (Job 41:12, 14), and "strength dwells in his neck" (Job 41:22). He has a "heart as hard as stone" (Job 41:24), and his outer covering literally has "shields."

Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; nor does spear, dart, or javelin. (Job 41:26)

This explains why his skin cannot be filled with harpoons nor his head with fishing spears (Job 41:7). Leviathan's outer covering is extremely strong, so strong that his "scales" (if you will) "cannot be parted" (Job 41:17). They are so tightly sealed together that "no air can come between them" (Job 41:16). God clearly has clothed this guy with some serious armor, with impenetrable shields.

Along with this strong armor, is strength that is almost incomprehensible. For Leviathan, iron is like straw, and bronze is as rotten wood (Job 41:27). That describes amazing strength. If iron is as straw to him, and bronze is as rotten wood, then he could bend iron as if it was a piece of straw, in other words, with little effort; and he could break or crush bronze as if it was a piece of rotten wood.

Also part of Leviathan's arsenal is his belly.

His undersides are like sharp potsherds; he spreads pointed marks in the mire. (Job 41:30)

From the statement about the "pointed marks" it is evident they are facing outward away from his body. Thus, anything coming in contact with that stomach is going to get cut up and possibly even shredded.

I know, LoL, but some of the Kaijū actually are from ancient Japanese mythology (Akkorokamui, Bake-kujira, Daidarabotchi, Gashadokuro, Namazu, Ikuchi, Isonade, Mizuchi, Seiryū and some others).

Alright yeah that's true.

• I went mid atlantic because surely it would have been discovered by now with Black Sea Flood or a Minorian island maybe Antartica. who knows maybe aliens

• Aliens. Atlantis was the spaceport for the Aliens that visited the Mayans, Aztec and Egyptians. SOMETHING went wrong and the whole thing was destroyed. It lives on in our memory but we cannot comprehend quite what it was.

• I think it was aliens

• 1|0
  • A. (btw, the guy who discovered the Titanic proved that the Black Sea flood was the one Described in the book of Genesis. I sh*t you not.)

• Actually I really like the theory Atlantis was a mid-Atlantic continent that suddenly sunk into the ocean

• It sunk to the ocean 😛

Yeah, but why?

Cuz they ate too much chocolate xD haha so be careful 😜
      Nah probably because of either shifting of plates or water levels rose.

Haha, I suppose that's a very realistic possibility :D

• I think it was Antarctica.

• How about Atlantis was sunken because of shifting tectonic plates?

• It's likely a myth with roots in a real historical place... it's been proven that civilization has had it's setbacks. We've rediscovered things which were previously discovered centuries before.

• That it was was a fictional island mentioned in a thought experiment by Plato
    tlantis (Ancient Greek: Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος, "island of Atlas") is a fictional island mentioned within an allegory on the hubris of nations in Plato's works Timaeus and Critias, where it represents the antagonist naval power that besieges "Ancient Athens"
    Which it really was

Allegedly, Plato was given the info about the ancient Atlantis from some Egyptian priests. The more detailed date about this civilization were kept in the Alexandria library, later destroyed by the Caesar.

• I think it was destroyed in the earthquake.

• Using the word "plausible" would imply there is at least a 1% chance that Atlantis existed and was a real story. But the truth is that there is 0% chance of the existence of Atlantis.
    It was not a retelling of the Black Sea flood, it was simply the Greek version of the story of Arcadia: a mythical land in the sky that fell and sunk into the ocean.

Never existed, never happened and any decent archaeologist and anthropologist would agree.

Never say never, some archaeologists still consider legend of Atlantis as a possibility.

@lanternhill are you capable of going away and not responding in two messages?

I was clarifying something.
      And obviously yes - in two different ways, haha.

• just a legend, most likely based on a Greek Island

But that legend is older than the Greeks, even ancient Egyptian priests had some legends about the Atlantis.

didn't mean Manoans didn't exist, just Atlantis

Oh, I see...

• The triangle!!!
    Lets go find it!

• Maybe it was some ancient monster.

• Fudge, I'm voting for the Aliens!

• I don't think it ever existed.

• Kraken sounds the most logical to me. No continent can sunk suddenly.

• I also believe in shifting tectonic plates

• Atlantis was destroyed by the Aliens

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 15

• here's my theory, atlantis existed as the hub of all global scientific, technological and engineering endeavor, it was the center of trade and science and was the pinnacle of human understanding, just how much they knew is a mystery and whether or not they are still more advanced than today's people as well, but one thing for sure is that they were responsible for some of the most baffling pieces of ancient technology to date

i believe that plato was correct in his depiction of the sinking of atlantis, it was quite possible that atlantis was a massive island nation sitting on an unstable caldera but a more likely recent theory is that it was sitting on top of a massive methane hydrate deposit, and with enough explosive force the methane could be released creating a super-cavitation effect that could force the entire nation to the bottom of the sea, the most likely trigger would have been a volcano or massive tectonic movement to it is uncertain, but recent finds of scientists in the Bermuda triangle claim that it is quite possible especially since the discovery of scattered methane hydrate deposits across the triangle, if ships were caught in the super-cavitation caused by bursting methane hydrate then ships of any size could sink to the bottom of the sea

• That Atlantis could have resided on Santorini and that what wiped them out is the volcano located in the center of it. This particular volcano eruption was 10 times worse than when mt. Vesuvius erupted.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

• From what I understand the story of Atlantis was a parable (as written by Plato) for the decline and destruction of empires fighting against what he considered moral states (like Persia vs. the 300 Spartans or Athens vs. Sparta). However, Atlantis may have been based on the real-life eruption of Thera that led to the downfall of the once-prosperous Minoan civilization on Crete.

• Atlantis was sunk by some Giant Sea Monster (like the Kraken):

• I voted A. But I wouldn't be surprised if Aliens had something to do with it 😋

• The kraken or aliens, probably those damn Greyjoys-always reaving and raping.

• It's D and G.

• Anything BUT aliens.

• Probably the Kraken, lol :P

• The Bermuda triangle seems to be the most plausible in my opinion.

• I think that when Plato wrote of Atlantis he was reffering to the Minoan civilization but a part of me likes to believe that there was something else out there.

• I saw a documentary about how they believed Atlantis was a Island and because of Pompeii it sunk. But there still isn't enough proof. But generally, a consistent amount of legend or stories are true.

That's what I heard to! But there is never enough evidence on things like this

• It s the sea monster

• Bermuda Triangle, I'm almost sure :P

• Atlantis never even existed.