Why do I spend $$ on cigarettes, but not on internet subscriptions?

seriously, if there are any psychology majors out there, I find it so weird that, while I am willing to regularly spend money on cigarettes (which I only smoke a few and throw away the whole pack) and taking taxi rides to work, I have never ever paid for any internet subscription type of services, be it pornsites, virtual goods in online games, itunes, spotify, streaming movies etc., NEVER have I paid for those, except for that one time I signed up to those download sites.

Seriously it is so weird, the money I spend on cigarettes in a week would get me a 12 month subscription online, and yet, I have never done it. How?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because one time purchases (even if made frequently) are easier to justify because they bring no commitment with them, and are paid in smaller sums. So it's easier to justify spending $15 'one time' versus spending $200 in one lump-sum.

hm, I think you are right. It probably has something to do with some kind of subconscious awareness that, if I die tomorrow, I would have spent $15 and fully enjoyed it, rather than spending $200 and not being able to fully utilized it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Cause cigarettes give you self-satisfaction that internet subscriptions won't. Cigs help you relax by numbing your brain for a few moments and internet might help you relax by making you dumb

What Girls Said 2

• These are Not good for your Health. However, not Here to preach.
    But my own family Upstate, finds a Ciggie Guy or Gal who Give them a Break with These through Cheap Connections.
    Smoke Shops are Relatively Cheap.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• Because you're addicted. Just stop throwing away the cigarettes and admit you'll smoke them again. When I did that I started saving money on my cigs.

What Guys Said 3

• Good question OP... both are equally addicting and both are not good for you.

• Are you addicted?

• Why are you only smoking a few then throwing the rest away?

because smoking is bad and I do what I can to limit how much I smoke, I really hate the fact that I smoke and drink every day.