Your thoughts on working overtime?

Do you work overtime and is it payed? If so, how often does it happen?

I work in a gaming company and we work overtime almost every day. It's payed but less then a normal working hour. It's because I live in a poor country where law doesn't mean shit. My company is supposed to be the best company in country (maybe even region) and we still get minimum salary. It's enough for one person to live on his own, but without any savings.
In the contract, it's sad that working hours are 8h a day, 40h a week, but we almost every day work around 12h (if we're lucky, sometimes we stay even 16h). The problem with my company is that they focus on quantity instead of quality, and I think this generally the global issue. It became so busy and hectic that no one even asks us IF we can/want to stay overtime, no one thanks us and we don't get any motivation or reward except some miserable pay for that. It's EXPECTED of us to stay because there's always work to do, deadlines are always near and if we say no to staying overtime we will get fired. No one complains about this because people are desperate to have a job and afraid of getting fired. This happens because no one is standing up, we all lick our bosses asses and play along.
This saddens me very much because it's a waste of life. We are supposed to work for living, not live for working! Even if it's a great company, a great job, a great environment, great co-workers and a solid salary... I think it's still not worth it. And this is globally getting worst, people work more and more and they forget to live a life along the way. I can't imagine life where I work all day during the week and then use weekends to just sleep. Why is no one doing anything about this huge problem? It's not just my country, I see this almost everywhere...

Most Helpful Guy

• We get 1.5 hours pay per hour after we have worked 44 hours in a week. Our normal work week is also 40 hours. So for example, if I work 4 hours overtime one day, but normal the rest of the week, I have only worked 44 hours total and therefore no overtime. I am in Canada, and the more we work the more we pay in income tax. Once we work only a few hours of over time, it no longer becomes a financial advantage to work more because more tax is taken off our pay. Even though we are making 1.5 times our wage, it is almost like getting paid minimum wage due to the tax situation if you work too much over time, so it isn't worth it.

It's the same way in the United States too. A couple hours of overtime will be a benefit but work more than a few the only one who benefits is the government because they eat up all the incentive to work overtime in taxes.

Basically I need to work 60 hours overtime a month to get paid for it. If it's less I won't get paid. It's such a manipulating system, really. Everyone wants to get paid for it, so everyone will try to reach those 60 hours, because otherwise you worked overtime that month for nothing.

What is your regular work week?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in the United States and I do bookkeeping for about a dozen small machine shops in my area. All but 2 of them require the guys to work 10 to 12 hours a day and 6 days a week, 2 of them require 7 days a week. I do the payroll so what I'm seeing is the government is benefiting more from the overtime paid than the workers do. The guys who work 12/6 really don't make that significant of an amount more than the guys who work 8/5 or 5 1/2. They do make a little more but not enough to offset the loss of personal time.

I think the reason no one is doing anything about it is the fact good jobs are so hard to find. For each good job opening there's probably 100 qualified candidates. The employers know this and are using it to their advantage. If you don't like our terms there's the door, there's 99 others waiting to take your job.

Basically it's a supply and demand principle. When the demand exceeds the supply the cost will be high and when the supply exceeds the demand the cost will be considerably lower!

What Guys Said 7

• My overtime was always paid, it's illegal not to here. What 'gaming company'? Does it create games?
    So major companies will outsource certain things like coding/manufacturing to countries with shitty laws and low wages. They save a lot of money, no real incentive to pay more if they have a steady stream of people willing to fill up any places of people who quit.

Most people I know just work 8 hour day jobs at desks, some work 10, I've worked 12 and sometimes 18 or so. Few friends work quite a bit and have shitty schedules though.

Yeah we make games, I'm a developer.

I think working overtime is fine SOMETIMES, but it's absurd if it's every single day.

Honestly, I just want to work somewhere were working overtime is appreciated and is not that often. I don't want to feel guilty every time I can't or don't want to stay overtime because it's expected.

@posted yeah srsly... Silicon Valley is *full* of companies who would LOVE to please the EEOC by hiring more female developers. If she's good at what she does, she can probably get a work visa lined up.

Of course, if she goes to work at a start-up, she'll be working the same kind of hours ahahahaa (but at least she'd be paid really well for it).

• Your free time is never going to be worth the amount of money they offer you.

I've been offered 2.5 times what I normally work and I've turned it down. I work because I have to work to pay my bills, I don't enjoy working, I don't do it for my health, and my company fucks me around too many ways to Sunday for me to give a fuck about their quotas and needs. If my section wasn't run by an incompetent I'd consider it, but any aid given to an incompetent keeps them in their position, she needs her ass fired and flame terminated.

Your free time is priceless, use it, enjoy it, and never consider selling it.

• I should be working four 10-hour shifts at my job. I've been pulling five 12+s. I do get paid overtime.

• Hate it when my job enforces mandatory overtime right after a holiday..

• Last i checked Norway wasn't a poor country...

• What prevents you from reporting them for breaking labor laws?

• Seasonally yes. Not all the time. No paid overtime I'm on salary.

What Girls Said 4

• "It's because I live in a poor country"
    Your profile says you're from Norway though? Norway isn't exactly known for being poor, or for not caring about laws...
    Eh, as for saying it's a global thing, I think that's a bit of a stretch. I really think it depends a lot on what country you're from, what you work with and who you work for. Me for example, I don't have any set working hours. Sometimes I work for 5 hours, sometimes 12. It varies quite a lot and I do get paid for every single hour I put in. And I don't mind the 12 hour shifts, I work part-time anyway and I can always say no thanks if I feel like it'll disturb my schoolwork (like if I have an exam the next day).
    And you can't ask why nobody isn't doing anything about this problem if you yourself aren't. If you think it's so shitty then you can stop licking the asses of your bosses (as you yourself put it) and do something about it.

I'm not from Norway, I put it randomly. I can't do or say anything about it because I'll get fired. Life is great!

• I have no issue with working overtime but I've been in your position.

I was working two jobs, one was an apprenticeship, so I had to do college work at night in my spare time, I worked all day, and all weekend (because apprenticeships are a lower wage, it's under half the minimum wage) and worked overtime at weekends to try and get extra money. I had 1 day off a week and I slept for at least 14 hours every Sunday because I was exhausted.

People don't care though. Get as much as possible for as little as possible. My bosses were all okay, they had plenty of money and time off. Didn't bother them I worked from 6:30am until 6:30pm on the weekends, and in the week 9:00am - 5:00pm and then 5:00 - 10/11:00pm

• At my work we write our own hours on the pay sheet because our hours vary so much. We just write what time we started and what time we finished then the amount of hours that was eg 5 ¾

• I work overtime but is played the following month