Have you ever succeeded in changing someone's negative impression of you?

Have you ever succeeded in winning someone over after they have had a steady negative attitude toward you?

How did you accomplish it? How difficult was it?

2mo Suppose it was a person you can't avoid easily, a friend or co worker. Just ignoring them is not a good option

Most Helpful Girl

• I had. When I've started university basketball training I was rookie and a girl so coach looked at me as if I was unwanted, he didn't expect from me any good skills and that I only would be a hindrance. He treated me without a respect and talked with me harshly.
    But I decided not to quit trainings but prove my worth with a hard work and improvement. And I actually did it, now he even treats me specially, even time by time is asking how my day was or being nice in general, even though he is strict to others. It took me more than a half of a year to make me see as a basketball player among others.

Most Helpful Guy

• What's the point? People's opinions are their own. You can't control what other people believe, you can only show them otherwise. I've had people's opinion of me grow and shift over time based on my actions, but they changed their own mind and I didn't lift a finger to influence them.

What Girls Said 27

• Not purposefully lol.. I've had plenty of girls tell me when they first see me they're scared of me and think I'm a bitch, but after they get to know me and talk to me, I'm actually cool and nice. I don't know lol.

Usually if someone has a problem with me I'll ignore it and go about my day and do what I need to do. If they want to get in my way or say something, whatever I do probably won't make them like me, but I won't go out of my way to do so unless I absolutely need to for some social reason.

• not trolling here, but it depends on why you want to change their opinion of you. and what their relationships is with you.

If it's not an important relationship the best thing to do it cut it out. Remove them from your immediate attention and keep living your life. Its not your business

but if its someone important like an in-law, a boss, a co-worker, I think that might be worth trying to work on. Really depends on the relationship.

I usually try to be honest and explain where Im coming from and what my goals and motives are.

as per your update:

-I had a coworker who started off as a decent acquaintance. She kind of looked to me as a mentee and early on took initiative to help acclimate me. We would go out after work for drinks and got to know each other better. She had a lowly boyfriend who would tag along at times and make unsolicited suggestive passes to me. I thought she would surely see I wasn't taking part in it, but her insecurity got the best of her and she began actively disliking me. Sabotaging work, spreading nasty rumors but still being fake to my face. I simply stopped speaking to her. There was no convincing to be done. I was being attacked for her own insecurity. One day I walked into an elevator and she was the only one. she tried to make the usual casual fake small talk, I looked at her with a blank stare and firm grin and stayed silent. She felt so awkward, she said "oh so thats how you want to be huh?". After that day we were polite and respectful but distant and I was able to do my work.

• I was a college student waiting on a ride one night. I was waiting inside, but also standing in front of one of the doors for some reason. I'm not sure why. But the doors are extremely tinted; so it's really hard to see what's going on outside, but you can see through it from the outside. An older woman was trying to get through, but the automatic panel button wasn't working. These doors are also very heavy and take some effort to open. I could have aided and open the door for her, but I didn't know she was directly in front of me. Finally, she kind of lost her cool and just forced herself through. I jumped out of the way as she was carrying a mini wagon behind her. I felt so bad.

Later, one of the other ladies came to lock the doors. I told her I had no idea that woman was trying to get through and that I was truly sorry to be just standing her making her think I had no interest in helping. Later on that same woman came through for something, and she must have learned that it was never my intent to ignore her, and I notice her attitude was much calmer with me.

• I don't socialize enough to know if people have a negative impression of me. If there are people that do, it would be difficult to change that because I'm always myself.

• Lmfao I don't care if someone doesn't like me honestly. My best friends ex boyfriend who cheated on her HATED me because I told him what off a few times but now we are good friends and he's my daughters god father. I don't think you can make someone change their opinion of you, they have to do it on their own

• I have went out with a group of friends on Saturday and there was this girl that barely knew me. I barely knew her, too. I just knew right away that she is smth special. It was obvious. She is smart, not basic and very unique. She has this aura around her that screams: cool. I knew we could be friends. After a 2 minutes conversation, she told me how I have totally changed her opinion of me. She told me that she's heard how I was arrogant and cocky (wich is true in a way 😜), but that I am very friendly and open.

We went out today, too.

• yeah I have 😂😂😂 and we been dating for awhile

How did you overcome the first impression?

well I took his phone I put my number in and I sent him a ifunny meme and every since then we were in love

• No, a wise man once said"Other people's opinions of me isn't my business". I make me happy, idc about pleasing mf's who will never be satisfied with what I decide to do with my life. I don't waste time trying to win anyone over for whatever reason, either you like me or you don't either way I'm still doing me.

• I don't remember doing that to anyone. So, maybe it never happened to me.
    I'm not saying everyone likes me tough.

• I've always looked younger than I am. When I began working my partners thought I was too young to work with them and also that I wouldn't be able to do it.
    I never said a anything about that to them, never tried to change their mind, I only began working and after two or three days they changed their attitud towards me and treated me as an equal.

• Apparently my friend in high school didn't think much of me at first. I remember the face she pulled when someone suggested hanging out with me.
    I don't know exactly what it was, I just seemed a bit odd to her, which I am.

We started talking though and got along, i formed a friend group with her and my other bestie and we hung out every day. No one has heard from her in like 3 years though, she started distancing herself a while ago.

• I normally don't care

• to me just by you yourself and ur action. basically they will think what they want even if u try to explain urself so let the action speak without u trying to make them believe you.. eventually they will know the real you... you just do ur stuff and let ur success shows them who u r...

• Oh yes. One of my colleagues. I just did not say anything negative to her or respond to her criticisms.

• Well when people see they think I'm bicthy probably because of my bicthy resting face. Well after they talk to me and find about I'm a funny person they change there opinion about me. I know this because that what all my friends told me

• No, because if they do then that's a them problem, not a me problem.

• Always, It's easy you just have to be nice and smile a lot

That will fool them?

Fool? It's more that they get to know me better and see I'm nice and not only a quiet and shy girl. So they like me because I'm serviable and help them (doing what they ask me to do like making them coffee, etc...)

• Yes. My ex mother in law. She thought I was no good for her son and made my life hell. But once I got pregnant and she realized her son and I were not breaking up. So she finally got to know me and realized what a good woman I was to her son. Even when I left him 15 years later after him being unfaithful her and I would go out for drinks and have a girls night. We are girlfriends now. Lol

• no not really because personally with me I would always change myself to thwew standards and still in the back of their heads they still thought of me negatively

Yes, right. Being nice to them won't change their minds about you all by itself.

• Hmmm, maybe once or twice that I'm aware of.

• Eh... I don't think so, maybe I've done the opposite? 😜

• Many times in the past. These days if someone thinks negatively of me and dislikes me, I've got little to no interest in winning them over

• I could only change my attitude and see how their negative impression of me crumble to the ground. Apparently, they started to accept my existence in the party and respected me.

• (laughing)
    I am used to peoples false impressions about me & do nothing to change them.

• everybody likes me!
    im adorable!

• I don't believe so.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 17

• I've never purposely tried changing someone's opinion of me, if I know they dislike me, then I don't deal with them.
    But several people have told me that at first they thought I was an asshole, a douche or whatever, but later after spending time with me and getting to know me, they changed their mind.

• I actually did! There was this girl that didn't like me at all because a friend of mine did some really bad thing to her friend ( he broke her heart, cheated on her friend, things like that) and for unkown reasons she thought that I was the one behind this (like I would waste my time with that stuff but whatever).
    Well, it took me some time, but one year later we started dating and we've dated for about three years =)

How did you overcome her antipathy?

I'll try to put it in a short version. She hated me for some things she told it was my fault (but it wasn't). I became friend of her friends and her friends started to talk with and about me. She notice that I wasn't all that bad and let her guard down. I mad some effort and got close to her and we became friends. After that you probably can figure out ^^

• I do this all the time, I say this because I have a terrible resting bitch face RBF, so when people meet me for the first time they think I'm pretty much pissed all the time. Once they get to know me, they realize that I'm not like that, and that I actually have quite a sense of humor. So the bad impression is the one they get looking at me, the change comes when they talk to me. ;-)

• As a child I was too shy and meek to attempt it. Now, if someone hated me, I could't bring myself to muster any fucks about it. Their problem, not mine. I wouldn't even try - I'd just pity them for having such heavy emotions towards me when I don't feel the same. Seems like them wasting energy.

• Yes, but rarely, and only over a long time.

How? By being myself, and not hating them just because they hated me.

• Yes many times.

• Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    It is really up to the individual with the negative opinion of you to either agree with you or continue to disagree.
    A negative attitude is an emotional aggression which belongs to the holder and will not change until the holder of that aggression n is ready to reconsider.
    My point is, it is much better for the person who is holding their negative attitude to turn it around themselves rather than interfere

Just my opinion.

• Yes, fortunately; I'm usually not good at first impressions. I did it by showing I was an intelligent, capable person who wouldn't take their crap.

• Do it all the time, I have a very negative first impression generally. People usually end up realizing it's due to not being able to trust from my end initially. After a few months most people know all the shit that's happened in my life.

• no and neither i care about it anymore. until i get stepped on, then maybe i could reconsider this option

• Sorry... too busy not giving a fuck. :v
    Some people will like you some will hate you no matter what you do.

• Yes I let my guard down.

• I've made someone kick me in the balls for opening a door for them, afterward bought a sprite for her, now we are friends on facebook, if that counts. True story

• Pffft if they're negative or they hate me they can suck my dick😎

• no i usually make it worse
    damn me

• never cared that much

• Not that I know of.
    Once I see someone doesn't like me I just leave them alone and ignore them.