What is wrong with the world today?

Is it just me or is the world getting worse?

Updates:
2mo I meant more along the lines of with people... i know most of the reasons are self centered, i need, i want, but where i grew up at, it makes me sick to go back to it and I've only been gone 8 years. Drug houses, herion overdoses left and right, shootings, people setting other peoples homes on fire. It just makes me sad that this all happens every where you look and not a damn thing is done...

1|1
8|18

Most Helpful Guy

• 12 resions
    1 parents giving there kids everything and not making them ever work for it
    2 mechanised production the population is sky rocketing more people fewer jobs you do the math
    3 to easy to borrow money
    4 people borrowing more than they can ever pay back
    5 people don't get away from there computers anymore
    6 to many prescription drugs that arnt needed but are used instead of being active for medical problems
    7 people who don't know how to deal with failure
    8 people who arnt willing to stop corruption in business and political
    9 people who don't help there nabours anymore
    10 all religious people
    11 people aren't held accountable for there actions any more
    And lastly the people with money run all the countries

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think people always believe that the world is getting worse, no matter what period of history you are in. As of right now, there's certainly things that seem like they are getting worse - an increasing wealth gap, youth fearing challenging ideas, an increase in mass shootings and terror in the West, and so on. However, versus the last 30 years, many things have improved - deaths from major killers like cancer are down, violent crime is at it's lowest in decades, technology has improved by leaps and bounds, we've legalized gay marriage, and so on. So while there are certainly things that are going downhill, there's things on the rise as well.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 17

• Humans.

1|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

And no. The world is getting tremendously better. The Middle East has been fucked for 2,000 years. Turmoil in the Middle East is nothing new--whatsoever. As for the rest of the world, we are more interconnected, wise, and mature than we as humans ever have been in history. We are tremendously more knowledgeable, resourceful, healthy, and technological than ever.

At least, where the U. S. is concerned, many people claim that it's more violent than it ever has been. Except it's as violent as it was in the 1950s. And the 50s were hailed as one of the most peaceful times. The 80s and 90s were significantly more violent.

The difference is the degree to which we could fuck up: e. g. nuclear weapons. With the capacity to irradiate the entire planet and kill every living thing, all it would take is a second or a tiny mistake or misunderstanding.

• 2mo

^so true

• The world is defiantly changing that's for sure. It's hard to say if it's worse or better because we have no idea we're actually headed in 1000 years lets say

But it defiantly seems more destructive today than it once was. The good ol' days when we got all organic food, delicious fresh everything.

1|0
    0|0
  • Every generation has some that say that, but do nothing about it!!
    I think it is better than ever!! What are YOU doing to make that reality?

0|0
    0|0
  • It has always been violent and bad, the problem these days is over exposure and over communication. Instead of having 4 30 mins news programs, we have 10 24hour news channel.. We are exposed to all the bad things around the world. Wars have always existed, and evil is not new. In the 80s, they were saying the world was going to freeze and now it is climate change..

Our parents would say, the good old days: when we did not have cell phone bills, cable bills, car notes, eating organic and gluten free, entertainment did not come from a screen.. Our life expectancy is longer now, we have access to all sort of different information on the tip of our fingers, there is no excuse not to know something. You can order something and get it the next day at your door...

0|1
    0|0
  • Umm?

Lol look around the 21st century is the most peaceful time on earth

All the bad stuff happening is pathetic losers throwing hissyfits. Seriously, can anything be compared to WWII, the smallpox and influenza epidemics, anything like that?

One might say 9/11

HA. I laugh. 9/11 had 3,000 people die, a miniscule number compared to the many that died horrible deaths throughout the ages.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's actually getting better in many ways. We have lifted most of the world out of poverty. War and violence are declining. Did you know there is currently no war anywhere in the western hemisphere? Yes, global warming is a new problem and if we don't do something lots of people are going to have to find a new place to live.

0|0
    0|0
  • Basically

Can be summarized by the Buddhist Laksana
    The inability to come to terms with
    1.) Transience
    2.) The necessity of Suffering
    3.) Self does not and never has existed

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not worse, people just lack empathy as they have always done.

0|0
    0|0
  • Considering that the world is statistically the most peaceful it's ever been, it's just you

0|0
    0|0
  • You know just the usual stuff like war, famine, rape, inequality.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep, as the Mayans predicted it's all down hill, from here. The end of the world wasn't instantaneous, but it's getting worse with each year passing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no, the earth and humans have been through way worse.

0|0
    0|0
  • nah, it's been been this bad since monetary wealth was a thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • well its getting better for women, and not for men

0|0
    1|0
  • Everything is bad and getting worse

0|0
    0|0
  • If you look at in the right context the world has never been safer or more peaceful than it has been in the past. www.pri.org/.../world-actually-becoming-more-peaceful-believe-it-or-not

www.slate.com/.../...an_increasingly_peaceful.html

stevenpinker.com/.../...our_nature_was_written.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramBFRt1Uzk

Homicide rates are declining:
    www.slate.com/.../...CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

rape and sexual assault declining:

democracy on the rise.

You're overreacting to news headlines and not looking at things in the right context.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

Not over reacting to anything actually, was just curious what every ones opinions were on everything. Gathering info you may say. And by the way your charts are outdated

• 2mo

they were charts in the article and are 3 years old. do you really think violent crime rose to the level of the 80s or 90s in 3 years? please.

• 2mo

No, not arguing that, it was my bad, misread the year thought it said 2003 and i appoligize for that

• putin, and the middle east is what's wrong

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I can't say it's getting worse nor getting better really :/
    There are things that improved from the past and there are new problems we face as we head on to the future.
    It's not just you, but I still want to believe that these are all just phases that will occur and solved one day, even if I'm not the generation to see it..

0|0
    0|0
  • corruption everywhere

1|0
    0|0
  • Media. You hear about everything multiple times.5 seconds after it happens

0|0
    0|0
  • Lack of Love and Respect with one another.

0|0
    0|0
  • The world needs a WWIII to get rid of all the human trash that is ruinning our planet.

1|0
    4|0
    • 2mo

@anonman32 they had the opportunity, yet here I am. As my grandma says "If I'm not dead yet, is because my purpose in life hasn't been completed yet."

• Pick up a history book. We're in the golden age of civility and benevolence. Sadly.

1|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

And it's about to collapse around us.

• Whether they realize it or not, people are living for Satan and not for God.

1|0
    1|1
    • 2mo

you're wrong cause I'm living for the devil

• Show All
    • 2mo

and by the way it ain't all about you