Why do people think NEW Mexico is a part of Mexico?

I hear it from people in the east coast ALL the time. I mean is it really that difficult to look at a map?
My friend applied to a school in Boston there once and they asked her for her green card -_-. and also this article: http://m.santafenewmexican.com/life/features/albuquerque-to-pennsylvania-an-international-flight-delta-says/article_52c47292-d50d-52b4-a9a6-5c75495ed2c8.html?mode=jqm

Most Helpful Girl

• People see the word Mexico and naturally think Mexico. Easy mistake to make I suppose?

Some people are just ignorant and plain lazy. What would seem logical to us like looking on a map isn't the same to others!

I know, i figured the name Mexico threw people off but I hope those same people dont think New England is a part if England or anything lol

lol because that wouldn't make sense right!

What Guys Said 3

• You might hear it all the time. I've never once heard it that I can think of. I'd be very surprised if as many as one out of a thousand people didn't know the difference.

you're right, i'm sure its not brought up very often, but then again people should know it is a part of the 50 states. i mean, thats just general information :)

• I never fell into that trap - Always knew it was part of the States - Maybe it is the name

Spread the word! jk, i did figure it was the name that threw people off

• People are dumb that's just true in life

What Girls Said 0