For PC owners and gamers, which do you prefer more? Liquid Cooling vs. Air Cooling? Explain?

Which one does your PC currently use?

Air Cooling or Liquid Cooling?

If you choose either, explain why you prefer one type of cooling over another.

• Air CoolingFor PC owners and gamers, which do you prefer more? Liquid Cooling vs. Air Cooling? Explain?
  • For PC owners and gamers, which do you prefer more? Liquid Cooling vs. Air Cooling? Explain?
2mo Anybody else use liquid cooling here, only got 1 vote. It seems like not too many people here Overclock their PCs or prehaps maybe not many here can afford liquid cooling?

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's efficiency you want, and if you're an overclocking fan (pun intended) then liquid is the way to go.

Plus, it looks cooler (pun intended :p )

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 7

• depends on the CPU and overclock power. usually they will tell you. my laptop is high/ultra end gaming and it uses regular cooling.

Which brand of high-end gaming laptop you got?

yes SLI i just forgot to add it in

@ParamountArmada

Then that's pretty much a desktop replacement laptop, as most laptops in general only have 1 nVidia GPU available.

I thought about getting a MSI gaming laptop for my next laptop purchase, as I think MSI were the only ones that had the thinnest 17 inch screen gaming laptops available on the market. Other manufacturer were mostly offering 15.6 inch screen standards or less for their thin or slim types of gaming laptops.

I've considered it, since I would want a new laptop that is more portable and have really good horsepower and features. I even looked at Razerblade's line of "slim" and thin form factor gaming laptops but their screen size are just too small for me.

• I have a laptop so it uses air cooling. Hits about 80C when running Overwatch.

• Air Cooling

• Air cooling is very good and it is cheap.

Air Cooling is the more budget friendly choice. But if overclocking your system as much as possible was the goal then liquid cooling really is the way to go.

Lastly, if you aren't trying to build a system with multiple bulky video cards that will only fit if you replace their stock cooling fan with a liquid cooled water block then it's also not really worth the time, money or effort on liquid cooling.

• Have never used liquid but someone said there is risk so forget. I dislike fan cause noise.
    Althought not so much.

Risks such as leaks and conductivity which will short circuit components? There are "Non-Conductive" Coolants that can be used to minimize the risks but even then the coolant can still eventually become conductive if it comes in contact with excessive dust or other fluids that may be conductive. Meaning that liquid and water cooled machines need more maintenance in regards to keeping the system clean and free of dust.

They also cost more in general to set up and is difficult for those that are new and unfamiliar with them, and you don't want to use cheap parts either, as the key thing for liquid cooling setup is quality components.

But for anyone that are are new and unfamiliar with it they can always look into alternatives such as "Self-contained" liquid coolers, but I think the ones currently on the market are only for CPUs, although there had been in the past AIO "Self-contained" liquid coolers for GPUs in the past.

• Air cooling for me!
    No risk of dripping water into your devices and it will not fry your system. PCParts aren't cheap like consoles.

There are ways around that. There are coolants that are not conductive or something like that liquid cooling can use instead of using standard regular water for cooling. There's also Distilled Water which is non conductive. But the whole point of using liquid cooling in the first place is only for those that are serious about overclocking their system for some serious performance. And if you use more than a single video card in your system and they're all bulky and take up lots of space in your computer case it's also not a good idea to use liquid cooling unless you absolutely know that everything will fit properly.

For laptop users like myself, liquid cooling really is not practical. ASUS did make a "liquid cooling" laptop, but it looked really awkward. There are custom ways to liquid cool laptops that I've seen on Youtube but you'd void your warranty since you have to make so many internal modifications, it's very complex and is only worth the trouble on a cheaper or older laptop.

On a tower PC you can just do it without worrying about warranty. As a purist, who built his own rig together, I have chosen Air Cooling because I have known, that water with electricity doesn't mix well unless it's a hydro power plant. + I do not overclock things because I don't have to and my PCs performance is superior.

Well that's what I said, if you don't overclock then you don't really have a need for liquid cooling. You can still overclock with Air Cooling, but Liquid Cooling and Overclocking would be more efficient and better.

• Most won't know the difference. Like myself who has only had air cooling... all i know is liquid cooling is difficult/risky to setup.

Many systems are sold pre-built, stuff like this:
      thumbs.picclick.com/.../...g-Radiator-120mm-_1.jpg

@mikemx55

Never mind, I've looked them up on newegg. It's important to check for compatibility before getting AIO liquid cooling setups for GPUs, as some will work only with specific GPUs and not fully compatible with all the GPUS that are available right now. And some them are expensive as fuck, running over $1000 such as this one:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

But that's because it's an AIO Package the Self-Contained Liquid Cooling system and the GPU included altogether.

The more I look into it it seems like you are only able to use one of these AIO liquid coolers, either 1 for the CPU or 1 for the GPU, compared to the custom more complex setups. Maybe it might work, if the computer case itself is large enough and can provide enough physical space available for both AIO Liquid Coolers.

Oh, but that one includes the card as well. If you simply remove the original fans from the card, there will be sockets to place the fans, and you'll be able to find some adapter from the custom liquid fans (fans, the people).

Instead of buying 2 of them, you can just cut the tubes, and add another liquid heatsink and re-tube them with braces. May seem hard to do without leaving air in the system, but it can be done with unsophisticated tricks.

The custom ones also only use one radiator for both CPU and GPU, and whichever receives the liquid in second place, is already receiving it "hot".
      I've seen a crossair h200 cool down a gpu in idle to 5 ÂșC and 30 playing gta on max. I'm sure it can handle another cpu.